...or the Daring Adventures of Daring-Do from the Most Eccentrical Wunderkind der Springfield via Quincy

Saturday, February 18, 2006

100s Night

Okay, so it's 2:30 in the morning, my room is trashed, it's -5* out (-24 w/ windchill), I'm tired as hell, and had a great night. I'm way too tired to write about everything that happened tonight, but I'll tell you this: Things involved drywall, tin foil, shaving cream, Jell-O, lot's of cups, more tin foil, hay, and a good deal of fishing line.

I'll write more later. I have to go pass out in my bed right now. See ya.

52 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sam! What fun! Make sure you tell us about your night when you wake up more!! Boy, the Academy sure sounds like a complete blast...I should have joined when they asked me to. Oh well. Hey, we named our litte guy Rufus, the name fits the bill. Have a good weekend! Love, Jill

2/18/2006 4:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jill, I liked the name you picked out for you dog, Rufus, can hardly wait to meet him! Kevin is done painting our bedroom!! YEAH! Now it is my turn to start doing the decorating,you know, Rach got all her talent from me, she will tell you "NO", but tis true, it was from me. Sam,sorry I woke you this morning at the early hour of 9am! What time did you end up getting up? Can't wait to hear all the gorey details and how the guys reacted to the room, was you there when they got back in? TTYL.Love Mom

2/18/2006 5:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is everyone? Could Chris be really working today?

2/21/2006 4:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday today Kevin! Only 48 yrs. old and you look as young as ever, must be that young looking wife of yours that keeps you looking that good! Have a great day.
Trivia for today: Kevin shares his birthday with which past president of the united states?

2/21/2006 5:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget, Chris has a government job now, so gets all of the holidays off! I have been looking for new messages, too, several times a day and am quite disappointed. Sam where are you? Oh well, Kev, I know you are there. Happy Birthday, I have a case of chapstick on the way to your home!! Use it wisely!

2/21/2006 5:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And just so you all know, I will answer the trivia question of the day because I am so smart. George Washington shares the same birthday as the one and only Kevin Holbrook.

2/21/2006 6:58 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Happy early birthday Dad! You're so old! Hahahahaha!

Anyway, I'll write more about 100s night later. I'm way too lazy right now. Being lazy is sweet!

2/21/2006 8:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kevin!, darn Tom, I knew the trivia question too! and I am the smart one in the family. I figured Chris and Jeremy and Sam would not be on blog on Monday, but what happened to Tuesday?
Have a good day Dear, Happy Birthday!

2/22/2006 6:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kesi and I were in Chicago on Monday visiting Jumah and Baker Nuts. Does Lynn/Jill remember Jeremy Lindstrom? We saw him on Saturday too. I'm in his wedding on June 30th.

Right now I'm making Croffee wit my Moose Drool handheld coffee press. Mmmmm Folgers. It's much better than the cat-anus juice Jeremy and I sufferred through on Saturday morning.

Does Kevin drink decaf? What's with my uncles and decaf? That's lady-drink. Pretty soon he will have his very own foo-foo cappuccino maker with vanilla flavoring. Well, I guess when you're yelling at your man-secretary, the adrenaline takes over and you don't need caffeine (or flavor).

2/22/2006 8:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too drink decaf. Here's the deal with decaf: After I've had my 2 cups of caffeinated coffee, I no longer need the caffeine. But I psychologically need to have some warm coffee-like beverage in front of me throughout the day, or in the evening after dinner.

What's the point? I like the coffee, but don't need the jitters.

[Hi everyone!]

2/22/2006 11:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get jitters after drinking wine with sulfites in it. Heart races. Etc.

2/22/2006 12:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your homepage?

Mine is: www.arandpartners.com/our_attorneys_jeremy_r_holbrook.html

It is cum laude awesome!

2/22/2006 12:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what the bleep!

ok.html

2/22/2006 12:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dad! I'm glad you enjoyed your cookie, I hope you shared it with your man-secretary (after you had him cut and serve of course). I'm looking forward to celebrating your 48th year at Texas Roadhouse and with cream puff dessert later tonight...mmm...yummy...

Hi everyone else, I unlike my coffee drinking cousins prefer tea...coffee tastes like poo.

Love Rach

2/22/2006 3:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey all you coffee drinkers, I need to turn you on to "healthy coffee", you reap tons of health benefits, go to this web site and e2heatlh.com and click on Healthy Coffee to read about it, we drink the tea from them too, we will live forever and ever!!Happy Birthday Kevin! What was left of your cookie was yummy!

2/22/2006 3:37 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Mom! Stop trying to scam off you work's nasty coffee on my blog! I don't go to Essential 2 Health to recruit for the Air Force do I?!?!?!

Hahahahahahaha. Just kidding, but still...no soliciting.

2/22/2006 6:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rach. Tea is Yummy. There's this cinnamon spice tea that is delicious sold nearby.

Yums.

Coffee has waaaaay more antioxidents than tea I believe. But coffee kills burns a hole in my tummy.

2/22/2006 6:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy-you need to try Gano tea, it has 150 mg of antioxidents, its made from special red mushrooms found in China...mom and I are peddling it at the office...my favorite tea is Chi though...

Sarah, you were the one taking about the Walmarts! I brought up the scene in Christmas Vacation when cousin Eddie puts 5 bags of dog food in the shopping cart for Snots...Jill you guys do live pretty far out, you better stock up! Rach

2/22/2006 9:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poop the size of Lauren! That was the best SARAH post I've seen yet! I laughed. Usually her's are full of a bunch of "happy birthday to...", happy anniversary to...", and "I'm proud of Sam." Blah blah blah. Good job Sarah on ending your streak of coma enducing submissions. "Tom humor" must be rubbing off on you.

Uncle Kevin, how is your semimas clericus working out? Do you need to borrow my whip; or are you a "paper weight to the kidney" guy?

2/23/2006 7:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rach, Jeremy doesn't need any of your "Gyno" tea, he doesn't menstruate.

2/23/2006 7:25 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I like tea more than poop-water, aka coffee. I find it leaves a less poopy after taste.

Sorry I couldn't make it to your birthday stuff Dad. I was a little tied up 1000 miles away. My bad.

2/23/2006 9:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, the best tea on earth is Indian tea with ginger and all that crazy India stuff in it. Best ever. It's a lot like Chi. They call it Cha, I think.

Pding.

Anyway... I won't be around tomorrow to send a million emails and posts as per usual. I have to fly to Sarasota, FL tonight and stay all weekend for work. So sad. So rough. Please don't shed a tear for me. I willingly bear this burden.

2/23/2006 10:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gano sounds to similar to guano (an accumulation of sea bird or bat droppings).

2/23/2006 10:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all you tea and coffee drinkers! In my humble opinion, I enjoy spot or two of the fine beverages each day, but there is nothing like an ice cold diet coke to get my energy flowing and my cavities growing. I, and Brian have been drinking a fine raspberry green tea, so we will be living just as long as Bec and Kev......we will get the most of mom's inheritance! YeeeHaaaaa!!!!
Mom....go toward the light, go toward the light....
Glad to hear you had a good time for Kev's birthday. Here is an update on our little prince, Rufus. He has been with us for 6 days and has gained 3 pounds, yes I said, er, written, pounds. He does has nicely formed lenghts of poo, quite exquisite if I do say so myself. He will take on ANY DOG, ANY DAY, if he wasn't such a gentle giant. Brian suggested I take up a collection for food. Ruby Tuesdays, Kelly's,and any ol' steak house will work just fine........... Sarah, lets be sending those certificates!!!
Hi Sam!!!

2/23/2006 11:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you, Jillian. I trust you will send me some pictures of Rufus when you have the chance?

Good-bye peoples. I'm gone for the weekend....

2/23/2006 1:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy, one more note on the tea, it is from someplace I can't spell, and it has some kind of red mushroom in it,I am not much for details, if the doc says it is good for you, I drink it, it has trillions of heatlh benefits, way more than any green tea you can get off the shelf, sorry Jill, but your tea may take you to your 80's?
Hi Sam! One month from today and you will be home!! YEAH!

2/23/2006 3:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zzzzzzzzz
Chai Tea
Zzzzzzzz
Boys Town
Zzzzzz
Kids
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2/24/2006 7:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam I'm lost. To what or whom was your last post referring?

2/24/2006 7:20 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

It was supposed to be to coma cousin, who doesn't seem to enjoy our on going coffee vs tea conversation.

2/24/2006 7:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Couisin Coma; and I was implying that Sarah's posts are continuously boring. I like tea too. Bigelow Raspberry is the best, in my opinion.

2/24/2006 7:25 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Oh, alright. Blogger is way to confusing this early in the morning. I like Mint Green Tea. It's pretty good.

Are you do "productive" government stuff today? Hahaha. What an oxymoron.

2/24/2006 7:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Komodo Dragon from Starbucks is coffee perfection. Anyone who disagrees, has never had it; or they are stuck in a middle class warp surrounded by The Gap, Old Navy, White Zinfendel, Pinot Noir, pleated pants, Olive Garden, Krispy Kreme, and coffee table art books.

2/24/2006 7:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris' boss decided that Chris was was to bogged down with stamping and initialling papers so the State spent money to buy Chris a pillow and created two other positions, one for stamping and one for initialling. Chris will soon be supervising these two people. I love government/state jobs.
Kesi

2/24/2006 7:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coffee tastes like liquid vomit and diarhhea mix. I prefer tea over anything else and love mango tea from Wolfgang Puck's. Bigelow's rasberry tea is my second favorite.
Kesi

2/24/2006 7:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All you anit-coffites need to grow out of puberty. Stop drinking your wine coolers and foo-foo health tea. All tea have antioxidants. There are no evincing data to support the health benefits of "extra" antioxidants in tea, green or black. Beckaroni, Zzzzz Sarah, Rach, and Jeremy need to be on a John Stossel special on Tea Fleecing. Scratch Jeremy, he's just in it for the flavor, as am I. I have a hunch that Beckaroni buys organic foods.

Definition of Organic Food: scam, fleece, con, hidden tax on new age tea healers, hippy dream, male castration

Do I need to continue?

2/24/2006 8:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris-sorry but if you go to Starbucks and drink Wolfgang Puck's tea, you are stuck in a middle class warp yourself!

And yes, Mom, Sarah and I do buy some organic foods, which if you took the time out of your busy government job schedule to research, you would find organic foods decrease your risk of cancer and other diseases and the vitamins and minerals in organic food are at a much higher level than those grown with pesticides.

I drink organic milk. I choose to do this because for some reason, drinking regular milk that come from a cows udder that has been injected with growth hormones and other unnatural products resulting in infections in the cow and consequently BLOOD and PUSS in the milk that you buy off the shelf, does not appeal to me!

Regardless of what you think, eating or drinking organic foods does not make you a hippie, a democrat or less of a man (from your past blogs you seem to feel the need to assert your manhood). It just means you are well-informed about what exactly you are putting into your body. Smart, intelligent, small-business supporting and healthy.

I suggest before you rattle off about something you only have preconcieved notions about you should do some research...and try something organic, I promise it won't decrease your level of testosterone!

PS. Sarah, congrats on your job interview, I know how stressed you have been lately and I really hope you get this job!

Rach

2/24/2006 9:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not going to comment on Rach's post as I have different feelings from hers and that should be enough said, but I will defend Chris. He has never been to Wolfgang Puck's before, it's only me that likes their tea.
Kesi

2/24/2006 9:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kesi-
I didn't mean to offend you or Chris in my post, I realize that most of what Chris said is in fun or as a joke...I just wanted to assert my view.

By the way, I totally agree with you on the "Coffee tastes like liquid vomit and diarhhea mix". I'll never understand how people can drink coffee of any kind.

Rach

2/24/2006 10:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well he suceeded, it doesn't help that I'm hormonal...we should start a "coffee sucks" club, you can be president, I'll be the VP overseeing the midwestern region...

Rach

2/24/2006 10:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was no offense taken and take everything Chris says with a laugh. He says stuff just to get a rise out of them and be funny.

Coffee sucks!
Kesi

2/24/2006 10:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was weird, Kesi's post should be first! I read it before I posted again! What's up with that?

2/24/2006 10:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rach, that was a bad-ass comback. There's definitely a spine in that 5'?" frame of your's. I knew I could count on Rachel to liven-up the discussion.

However, If Beckaroni's favorite nephew was not in Florida he would have warned his cousins of big brother's research prowess. No preconceived notions here.

Exhibits:

1. according to the United States Centers for Disease Control, people who eat the products of this technology are eight times more likely to contract the strain of E-coli that killed 21 people in Lanarkshire in 1997, because the farmers use manure for fertiliser.

2."Let me be clear about one other thing. The organic label is a marketing tool. It is not a statement about food safety. Nor is “organic” a value judgment about nutrition or quality,” said Secretary of Agriculture Dan Glickman in announcing the new rules to qualify what can be called "organic."

3. No data indicates legally applied pesticides have caused even one health problem despite more than 50 years of use on agricultural crops — a fact that has even been acknowledged by leading pesticide critic Dr. Phil Landrigan of the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine.

4. HIPPINESS - Genetic-ID, the firm now famous for helping Friends of the Earth is a quasi-religious cult that promotes organic agriculture and a political movement, the Natural Law Party. The NLP platform promotes organic methods and attacks biotechnology.

5. SCAM - Organic foods cost an average of 57 percent more than conventional foods, according to Consumer Reports. These higher costs could amount to $4,000 annually for a family of four, according to the USDA.

Organic foods should just be labeled. “Ripoff!”

6. MANLINESS - By killing dangerous foodborne pathogens such as E.coli and listeria, irradiation reduces the risk of food poisoning. Biotech foods approved for human consumption are evaluated for safety before they are allowed to be marketed. Meat and dairy products produced from cows supplemented with growth hormones are physically indistinguishable from meat and dairy products from un-supplemented cows.

This man will take his irradiated eggs sunny side up.

Keeping us all intellectually honest, Chris

2/24/2006 12:22 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Uh...wow...You really DON'T do much at work do you?

On a side note, Dick Vermeil, former Chiefs and Rams head coach, gave a talk here at the Academy today after lunch.

I thought I was paying attention, but then he said, "And number 3..." I was like, "Wait, where were the other two." Then I went back to sleep.

2/24/2006 2:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm efficient.

2/24/2006 2:41 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I think you're the only person in the government that's efficent.

2/24/2006 2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem, Chris' wife is pretty damn efficient too.

2/24/2006 2:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Pinter is "spanish" for efficient.

2/24/2006 3:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I missed a lot today, and probably no one will see my comment, so Sam if you put up a new comment at least add my post to it, ok? and Sam stay awake durning those speeches, you don't sleep in church do ya? Man,looks like it got nasty with all the organic talk, good girl Rach, I can see working with me has caught on. Chris, the only thing I make sure I buy organic is milk, I dont buy organic veggies, I do buy only spelt pasta though, found in Health food stores and very seldom eat red meat, ick! Hey, was" Commen Sense" Josh? I know he is a scepic too. Hey Sarah, good luck on the job interview. Hey Sam, call us sometime this weekend. Love Mom

2/24/2006 4:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris- I may be small but don't underestimate my research abilities...have fun reading!

1. Debunking your E.Coli myth

Contrary to a well-circulated article written by Dennis T. Avery, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has never conducted a study that compares the risk of contracting E.coli bacteria in both conventional and organically grown food. According to Robert Tauxe, M.D., chief of the food borne and diarrheal diseases branch of the CDC, there is no such data on organic food production in existence at their centers. In fact, Tauxe states that these claims of an E.Coli danger are "absolutely not true." . In fact, a UN Food and Agriculture Organization report concluded that the superior management practices of organic agriculture reduce E. coli and mycotoxin infections in food: "It can be concluded that organic farming potentially reduces the risk of E. coli infection”.

And Chris, John Stossel has already reported on the dangers of organic produce, and he has already publicly apologized for falsifying evidence in a televised report that claimed organic produce is potentially more dangerous than food raised using toxic agrochemicals, antibiotics, added hormones, genetically engineered seeds and massive animal-feeding factories. In his apology, Stossel did admit that some tests he relied on to support his conclusion had never been conducted.

In reality, organic produce has strict regulations on the use of manure, all raw manure must be applied to the fields or orchards at least 60 days, and sometimes as many as 120 days, before the produce is harvested -- a period that allows for ecological processes that eliminate harmful microbes. On the other hand, Conventional growers, can spray on raw, uncomposted manure (even on fruits and veggies that are but days from being harvested), in
addition to human sewage sludge and slurry from industrial animal farms -- all practices that are explicitly forbidden under organic regulations.

2. Nutrients in Organic Produce
Research published in a 2001 study showed that the current fruit and vegetables in the United States have about half the vitamin content of their counterparts in 1963. The study was based on a comparison of published USDA figures.

A scientific study published in the Journal of Applied Nutrition in 1993 clearly showed that organic food is more nutritious than conventional food. Organically and conventionally grown apples, potatoes, pears, wheat and sweet corn were purchased over two years in the western suburbs of Chicago, and then analyzed for mineral content. The organically grown food was on average 63 percent higher in calcium, 73 percent higher in iron, 118 percent higher in magnesium, 178 percent higher in molybdenum, 91 percent higher in phosphorus, 125 percent higher in potassium, and 60 percent higher in zinc. In addition, The organic food was on average 29 percent lower in mercury than the conventionally raised food.


3. Health Problems and Pesticides
A growing body of scientific evidence is showing that repeated exposures to small amounts of synthetic chemicals produce a range of adverse health effects. A recently published study shows that as little a one-tenth of a part per billion of one commonly used herbicide can damage reproductive systems. A study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control found a cocktail of many toxic chemicals in the blood and urine of most Americans that they tested.

The escalating increase of certain types of cancers such as lymphoma, leukemia, breast, uterine and prostate cancers are linked to agricultural and other synthetic chemicals. Similarly, a good body of scientific research also links these chemicals to dramatic increases in autoimmune diseases such as asthma and chronic fatigue syndrome, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has gone from being one of the rarest to one of the fastest growing cancers among people exposed to agricultural chemicals.

4. Hippiness + well informed public = a 20% increase in the consumption of organic products over the last 2 years!

5. Cost of Organic Produce vs. Cost of Pesticide Related Illnesses
$4,000 per year for organic food is small change compared to the cost of health problems due to pesticides. "Although no one can place a precise monetary value on a human life, we use the EPA standard of $3.7 million per human life. Available estimates suggest that human pesticide poisonings and related illnesses in the US cost about $1 billion per year"(Pimentel and Greiner, 1997). Pay now and be healthy or pay later and be dead? I pick organic!

6.Manliness or Lack There Of…how many sperm do you have swimming?

Studies have also linked pesticides with reproductive effects. For example, some pesticides have been found to cause testicular dysfuction or sterility (Colbrorn et al., 1996). Sperm counts in males in Europe and the US, for example, declined by about 50% between 1938 and 1990 (Carlsen et al 1992). Currently there is evidence that human sperm counts continue to decrease by about 2% year (Pimentel and Hart, 2001)

Many pesticides are also estrogenic – they mimic or interact with the hormone estrogen – linking them to increase in breast cancer among some women. The breast cancer rate rose from 1 in 20 in 1960 to 1 in 8 in 1995 (Colbrorn et al., 1996) As expected, there was a significant increase in pesticide use during that time period.

7.In Other News…
In addition to destroying natural enemy populations, the extensive use of pesticides has often resulted in the development and evolution of pesticide resistance in insect pests, plant pathogens and weeds. About 520 insect and mite species, a total of nearly 150 plant pathogen species, and about 273 weeds species are now resistant to pesticides (Stuart, 2003).

Informing the family naturally...Rachel

2/24/2006 7:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Rach! That was impressive,can we change the subject now? I have a good one, Happy Anniversary to me and Kevin,28 yrs.strong today, Feb.25th, your still the one Kevin, Love ya.
Hi Sam, let us know how the beatings went on Friday night,Love Mom

2/25/2006 6:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU GO RACHEL! God didn't give you those brains for nothing. I'm very impressed with your article.

2/25/2006 10:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that a new post was started so none of you are going to see this. I have 2 things to say:

Sarah: Yeah, I totally meant to type "chai" instead of "chi," but when refering to the Indian version, I did mean "Cha." I'm spelling it phonetically. Ask your Southeast Asian friends about it. They say "Cha"

Chris: You are a big nerd. Bigelow Raspberry? That's why you have juvinile acne: You like juvenile beverages. I need to send you some real tea.

Current Favorite Starbucks Bev: Chai Tea Latte. Give it a whirl my peoples....

3/01/2006 2:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home