Silver Weekend
This weekend was a Silver Weekend. For a freshman, that means one thing. Beatings. "Beating" is the Academy slang for making freshman do physical training, like pushups, flutter kicks, squats, lunges, bridges, running, diamond pushups, mountain climbers, Ranger claps, and pretty much any variation of these until you can physically do no more. So yeah, it was fun.
On Friday, First Group (Squadrons 1-9) did a "Round Robin." For this, each squad of 4*s rotated to other squadrons, where that squads upperclassmen beat us until we couldn't do much more than walk. We did this five times, staying at each squad for 20 minutes. While we're getting beat, we have to recite knowledge, like Schofield's Quote, "High Flight", the Air Force Song, John Stuart Mill's Qoute, and Father Dennis Edward O'Brian's quote. If your interested, you an probably find these all online. I know all of those word for word. Now imagining being dead tired, and having to lunges or Ranger claps while saying,
"Sir, Major general John M. Schofield's graduation address to the graduating class of 1879 at West Point is a follows: The discipline which makes the soldiers of a free country reliable in battle is not to be gained by harsh or tyrannical treatment. On the contrary, such treatment is far more likely to destroy than to make an army. It is possible to impart instructions and give commands in such a manner, in such a tone of voice as to instill in the soldier no feeling but an intense desire to obey, while the opposite manner, and tone of voice, cannot fail to excite strong resentment and a desire to disobey. The one mode or other of dealing with subordinates springs from a corresponding spirit in the breast of the commander. He who feels the respect which is due to others cannot fail to inspire respect toward himself, while he who feels, and hence manifests, disrespect toward others, especially his subordinates, cannot fail to inspire hatred against himself."
And that's if you don't mess up. Oh, I forgot to mention that we have to do the Code of Conduct too. That's longer than Schofield's Quote. So yeah, my Friday was really fun. The training was so rough that 7 people went to the hospital and another kid knocked out 6 teeth. He passed out doing pushups and smacked his face on the floor. Because of all this, the beatings ended early. I just hoped that Saturday wouldn't be that bad.
I was wrong. Saturday was extremely easy. Because of the events of Friday, all physical training was cancelled. We ended up spending the whole training period in our rooms cleaning and studying knowledge. So, of course, it was sweet.
All of this training is in preparation for an event called "Recognition." This even was banned by Congress a few years ago because it was getting out of hand. Now, the new leadership here is trying to get it back. I could really care less. Sure, I'd love to have things easier here, but I also want the pride of knowing I went through something that physically, mentally, and emotionally taxing. The real Recognition should be around March 16th and until that Saturday at midnight. After that, we're pretty much upperclassmen. Only 33 more days until then. Wish me luck.

48 Comments:
YEAH!! I am finally the first one to make a comment on Sam's new blog message! And boy what message,can not imagine how tuff all that stuff you had to do on Friday,you are going to look really ripped when you come home for Spring break! Keep us updated if the beatings have continued. Have a good Monday Sam. Love Mom
2/13/2006 6:53 AM
As of right now, all physical training has been suspended. In onther words...SWEET.
2/13/2006 7:33 AM
Happy Birthday (Yesterday) to Germee. He has started his 29th year of existence.
Sam-yoo-el: As an economics and history buff, I am interested in the J.S. Mill quote you recite. Is it from "On Liberty?"
Thanks Germee, but I saw enough yearning in the tv spots for Cowboy Mountain to realize it was a no-watch for Chris. (Feelings, bleh) It needs Clint Eastwood to show up, make them apologise to his horse for an earlier transgression, take their gold, then shoot 'em.
Thou will be done.
2/13/2006 7:38 AM
The J.S. Mills qoute is about war. "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings is much worse." And then goes on for a while. It's pretty good.
As for Cowboy Mountain, I've heard that if it were about a guy and a girl, it would be the worst movie ever.
2/13/2006 7:44 AM
Of course, Sam. Here are the algebraic equations.
Cowboy+Gold+Death= Western
Cowboy+Girl+Feelings= Straight to Video (or some CiniMax soft porn)
Cowboy*2+Feelings= Acadamy Award winning blockbuster (The Academy, as evinced by Happy Birthday Brother, is interested in moral/political statements or biographies instead of entertainment. The biography part is an intentional slam on "Walk the Line" and "Ray.")
That reminds me:
Historical Character who's manuerisms are known by the Academy and/or population + Actor who does good imitation = Best Actor Award
This is the sure way to get an Oscar. I wonder who is next? Richard Prior, he just died.
As John Stossel says, give me a break!
2/13/2006 8:23 AM
You forgot one.
Actor + Accent/Handicap + random person who seems to care about said handicapped person = Oscar
2/13/2006 9:32 AM
Ah Yes! The life-sucks-empathy card.
Please elucidate, I can't think of one.
2/13/2006 9:41 AM
Let's see...Rainman...Forrest Gump...I am Sam...Batman and Robin...Ray (also fits in here)...Any movie starring Vin Diesel or Paul Walker...
I'm not saying that Rainman and Forrest Gump aren't good, but they do pull the heart strings on purpose. And Vin Diesel is ACTUALLY retarded, so that's not really fair either.
2/13/2006 9:44 AM
Duh! Rainman, F. Gump!
I'm not using my long-term memory today.
2/13/2006 9:53 AM
Sam, it looks like the Academy is training you for when you have to give orders and some day you will. Maybe not for 4-5 years, but it will come. Dave at first didn't like this and said he'd rather do than tell someone else to, but he's changed his mind. Dave is only 38 but already he is thinking about retirement. Although Friday looked tough, be thankful you can do these things. There's quiet a few young men would love to be able to do this.
Love you, Grandma. Love you much and we are very proud of you. Grandpa, of course, just yelled, "tell him I said hi" So "hi" from grandpa.
2/13/2006 11:30 AM
Thanks Grandma. After doing something like that, you feel like you've accomplished something.
Tell Grandpa "Hi" for me.
2/13/2006 12:13 PM
Well, since the whore house from which you obtained your previous secretary is closed, this is a little tougher. I'm sure the local pub is stocked full top flight waitresses who know how to make your martini just the way you like them. Your $2.35/hour with face slap tips might not go over so well.
Since they are accustomed to verbal abuse, your weekly bloody-colon beatings should be the only thing they would need to get used to.
I'm sure your bust size requirement isn't too stringent. Just stick to your old criteria "looks are everything brains are not preferred."
It's a new age Uncle Kevin. You'll probably have to find yourself a fence jumper. They will take the $2.35 and they are not too bad to look at.
2/13/2006 1:45 PM
Yes, proper discipline is mandatory. She should always approach you, or any other man, head down in a submissive manner ready to be ridiculed. This is the proper conduct of a well behaved fem-secretary. That and making good martinis.
2/13/2006 2:47 PM
Geez Dad. Shouldn't you be doing somthing...ya know...productive?
I know that after you killed Sheila...I mean fired that incompetant twit...that you had a bunch of work. I guess that's why you got a new assistant. Is he sort of like a bartender to your secretary's waitress?
2/13/2006 3:46 PM
Yes Sam.
Remember, it's 2 olives in your father's martini. Sheila wasn't a team player.
2/13/2006 4:02 PM
I just want all of you to know that I was the first on this blog site to wish Jeremy a Happy Birthday, I think it was on Friday or Saturday when I posted it, this darn blog site was down again sometime over the weekend, guess no one saw it except Jeremy. And Kevin, I have to "OK" any new secretary you get,she must be at least 60 yrs. old! Jill where have you been?
2/13/2006 4:54 PM
Sam,I am sooooooooo Happppppppy that the physical demands have been suspended!!! ROCK ON!
2/13/2006 5:33 PM
I don't know what to say, you have all shocked me into silence...
Happy Birthday Jeremy!
Love Rach
2/13/2006 8:45 PM
Hey thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.
My secretary is a 25 year old super genius and she just brought me a hazelnut decaf with season 4 of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Beat that.
Also, OF COURSE Brokeback would be lame if it was about straight people. That movie's been made before---there would be no unfamiliar tension. It'd be just another movie about people cheatng on their spouses. Character driven books and movies are better than plot driven peices. This one is character driven. While the plot turns could all be the same with a straight couple, the movie has a much deeper tension/meaning. We sympathize with the cheaters---which is much different. Character is everything.
Sam/Chris: you left one out:
Good Looking Actor + Adopts Ugly Makeup or Loses/Gains Weight = Acadamy Award
2/14/2006 9:02 AM
Entertainment is everything. As Austrian economists would say, subjective value indicates price/success not costs or input/character or plot. Each of us values movies differently and at different times (marginal utility). Good characters are important but are just as limited (with respect to success or entertainment) as plot excellence.
Relating to characters is one way to create a good film but other movies require plot.
Good Movies with strong plot and little character depth:
"2001, A Space Odyssey"
"Usual Suspects"
"Hoosiers"
"Apollo 13"
2/14/2006 11:40 AM
Thanks for your, perspective, Misterpher, though I wouldn't put much stock in what Eurpoean Economists think about Film. :)
Entertainment is not everything. John Grisham spins fun tales, but he ain't never gonna win no Pulitzer.
2/14/2006 12:26 PM
You "awards" people. Acadamies/judges are extremely agenda motivated. Kind of like figure skating. The outcomes are fixed, not by standards of excellence, but by the judges'.
Outcomes rarely represented by consistent standards (aka Bogus):
Acadamy Awards
Pulitzer
Nobel Prize- (Remember Arafat)
Any (and I mean ANY) athletic event where the outcome is dictated by judges.
2/14/2006 1:00 PM
Judges suck. That's why "Joe Dirt" never won any awards, despite the beautiful piece of cinematic spelendor that it is.
2/14/2006 2:18 PM
Did I miss something? Does Jeremy have a baby son? Happy 30th Anniversary to Mike and Sue! And Chris, did you go see the Pink Pather yet?
2/14/2006 5:19 PM
Congraulations to Jeremey, is it true, you have a son? Why are we always the last to know anything? Also, does anyone out there watch "Boston Legal", It is on Tuesday night, I really like it, epecially Willima Shankner(Denny Crain), he is hilarias in it,I know I didn't spell that right, but you get the drift what I ment.
2/14/2006 5:34 PM
Four Brothers was really good, even though I am not a MARK-E-MARK fan. The director does create a lot of diverse compassion for the brothers as they journey to avenge their mother's murder. It is definitely worth a look. I like the mixture of races in the movie. It gives a realistic view of the hard-knock urban lives of today's youth.
2/14/2006 9:08 PM
Tom, keepn' it real. Mak'n shur da hood is represent.
Uncle Kevin, is Beckaroni your babysitter? Why don't you take your balls out of your wife's purse and take a stand for once? Whence did this whipped uncle come?
Here is an idea. Tell Beckaroni: "I'm hiring another whore, now go in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!"
It's a sad day when a nephew needs to distribute advice to his own uncles. ;(
2/15/2006 7:33 AM
Nope, I havn't seen 4 Brothers, Uncle K. I'll check it out.
Chris: with all your dirty talk, you're gonnna get Sam's blog tagged by homeland security or the NSA or something. Actually, they might think Becky's spelling misadventures are some sort of code to the sleeper cells.
Becky: Boston Legal is terrific. Shatner and Spader are hilarious.
2/15/2006 10:11 AM
So Jeremy is mass killing cats and dogs and make'n babies in Kinderhook.
Get up on it...
Up down off it...
2/15/2006 12:58 PM
I found out from a unrealiable source that our Jeremy did not have a baby, it was another Jeremy Holbrook in Kinderhook! Who'd thunk there would be 2 Jeremy Holbrooks??
2/15/2006 3:52 PM
TWO Jermey Holbrooks??? What??? Has the world gone mad? I don't think I like living in a world where two people can have the same name. What's next, images in a box? Women voting? Celebrities that are famous for doing nothing? I think this is the beginning of a domino chain of destruction.
2/15/2006 3:57 PM
Only Jeremy would use the word "thunk."
...but he doesn't use double question marks.
hmmmm
who is this anonymous?
2/15/2006 3:58 PM
CHRIS!! I am surprised by you, I thought you liked me? Truth be known, Kevin never listens to anything I say anyways, we just had this conversation the other day. He constantly forgets stuff that I tell him, does altimizer(sp?) run in the Holbrook Family? Kevin would hire anyone that would be able to do the job, and he did find someone, a guy!! whoopee!
2/15/2006 4:00 PM
I think Chris is a quick-draw poster...the Billy the Kid of the blog-o-sphere you might say. I put up a message and BAM! right back at me.
2/15/2006 4:01 PM
Sam. Dang. You're right. The record suggests he responded within one minute. He's Christopher Quick-post.
2/15/2006 5:45 PM
In Mom's defense she was busy snagging a Holbrook boy in High School and didn't have time to worry about little things like spelling...
2/15/2006 9:54 PM
I am only Christopher Quick-Post between the hours of 8:00am-12:00 and 1:00-5:00.
Except for today. I'll be trigger happy through lunch. B-Ding!
2/16/2006 6:50 AM
Say Sam,
What's the weather like in Boulder this time of year? I hadn't until now thought about the conditions under which you are beaten.
Regards,
Jeremy
2/16/2006 3:53 PM
I'm actually in Colorado Springs, but I wish it were in Boulder. Rocky Moutain High...just the way I like it! Just kidding...uh...yeah...kidding.
Anyway, it's usually in the teens in the morning and warms up to the mid 40's by afternoon. Last night it snowed about 4 inches, but it melts off pretty quickly, leaving us with the hilarity that ice and Southerners bring.
2/16/2006 4:04 PM
Hey will somebody tell me where in the heck I go to spell check on this site and I would use it for sure, do ya think I like to be harassed all the time? I am sure I spelled that wrong. Hey, any good movies out there to go see this weekend? Sam have a good time in Boulder this weekend, hope the snow stays away for ya, oh and you will have to post all about what you do to the Firstee's room. Love Mom, question? How come some peoples name come up blue? are they more important then the names in black?
2/16/2006 5:44 PM
Hey Mom, I don't think this thing has a spell checker. You could write whatever you wanted in Word, spell check it there, and cut and paste it into the box. Or you could get a dictionary, but I'll let you make the call.
2/16/2006 9:37 PM
Sam, you know that is to many steps for me, I will just wing it like I always do. Everyone have a good weekend, we might go to a wine tasting thing? hmmmm, sounds kinda of boring to me but at the same time yummy!
2/17/2006 7:04 AM
Beckaroni, when you arrive at the wine tasting, tell the waiter "I'll take the RED kind." And remember to grip the stem with both hands. It's an accoutrement of refined living. Also, wine mustaches are socially desireable.
Just a few admonishments for your evening. You're welcome.
2/17/2006 7:44 AM
Oops! I committed a Beckaronism:
desireable (sic).
I really need to learn how to type. It would cut down on my spelling errors.
2/17/2006 7:48 AM
We have our very own Mary Matalin and James Carville at USD. (See www.volanteonline.com "Opposites Attract") The VP of the College Republicans is marrying a College Democrat.
2/17/2006 9:36 AM
Becky: the names that are in blue are clickable links. If you type in a website under your name as you submit your post, a link to that website is created. And it's the blue name. Feel free to click on the blue "jeremy" above. It's a fun game.
2/17/2006 11:04 AM
That's the best Jeremy. I laughed my ass off.
2/17/2006 11:25 AM
Jeremy that is to cool, how did you do that? Never mind, probably to many steps for me. Chris I have you know, I know a few things about being out in public,its ok to lick my lips, right? Hey,I hear Nicky is engaged, details please!! Have a good weekend everyone,epecially to my favorite son out there in the wide blue yonder.
2/17/2006 5:08 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home