...or the Daring Adventures of Daring-Do from the Most Eccentrical Wunderkind der Springfield via Quincy

Monday, February 06, 2006

Something Interesting

Hey people out there. Sorry to disappoint you, but this post isn't really that funny. A 4 dig from the Academy wrote a paper about how he feels about being here. I think pretty much every at all the service academies feels the same way that he does, although a lot of us may not show it. Feel free to copy it and send it off to friends, liberals, and what-not. Maybe I'll post something funnier later this week. I did watch "The Hunt for Eagle One," possibly a worse movie than "Stealth."

Anyway, here is the paper.



Winter Break

So after our sunburns have faded and the memories of our winter break have been reduced to pictures we’ve pinned on our desk boards, and once again we’ve exchanged t-shirts and swim suits for flight suits and camouflage, there still remains the question that every cadet at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs has asked themselves at some point: Why did we come back? Why, after spending two weeks with our family would we return to one of the most demanding lifestyles in the country? After listening to our ‘friends’ who are home from State or Ivy League schools chock full of wisdom about how our war in Iraq is unjust and unworldly, why would we return? And after watching the news and reading the papers which only seem to condemn the military’s every mistake and shadow every victory, why would we continue to think it is worth the sacrifice of a normal college life?

Is it because the institution to which we belong is tuition-free? Anyone who claims this has forgotten that we will, by the time we graduate, repay the U.S. taxpayer many times over in blood, sweat, and tears. Is it because the schooling we are receiving is one of the best undergraduate educations in the country? While the quality of the education is second to none, anyone who provides this as a main reason has lost sight of the awesome responsibility that awaits those who are tough enough to graduate and become commissioned officers in the U.S. Air Force.

I come back to the Academy because I want to have the training necessary so that one day I’ll have the incredible responsibility of leading the sons and daughters of America in combat. These men and women will never ask about my Academy grade point average, their only concern will be that I have the ability to lead them expertly – I will be humbled to earn their respect.

I come back to the Academy because I want to be the commander who saves lives by negotiating with Arab leaders… in their own language. I come back to the Academy because, if called upon, I want to be the pilot who flies half way around the world with three mid-air refuelings to send a bomb from 30,000 feet into a basement housing the enemy… though a ventilation shaft two feet wide. For becoming an officer in today’s modern Air Force is so much more than just command; it is being a diplomat, a strategist, a communicator, a moral compass, but always a warrior first.

I come back to the Air Force Academy because right now the United States is fighting a global war that is an ‘away game’ in Iraq – taking the fight to the terrorists. And whether or not we think the terrorists were in Iraq before our invasion, they are unquestionably there now. And if there is any doubt as to whether this is a global war, just ask the people in Amman, in London, in Madrid, in Casablanca, in Riyadh, and in Bali. This war must remain an away game because we have seen what happens when it becomes a home game… I come back to the Academy because I want to be a part of that fight. I come back to the Academy because I don’t want my vacationing family to board a bus in Paris that gets blown away by someone who thinks that it would be a good idea to convert the Western world to Islam. I come back to the Academy because I don’t want the woman I love to be the one who dials her last frantic cell phone call while huddled in the back of an airliner with a hundred other people seconds away from slamming into the Capitol building. I come back to the Academy because during my freshman year of high school I sat in a geometry class and watched nineteen terrorists change the course of history live on television. For the first time, every class currently at a U.S. Service Academy made the decision to join after the 2001 terror attacks. Some have said that the U.S. invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan only created more terrorists… I say that the attacks of September 11th, 2001 created an untold more number of American soldiers; I go to school with 4,000 of them. – And that’s worth missing more than a few frat parties.

Joseph R. Tomczak
Cadet Fourth Class,
United States Air Force Academy

45 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sam! I hope you had a great weekend. That essay was excellent, there is a reason that only a select few are accepted into the Academy, and this young man exemplified that through his words. Your entire family is so proud of what you are doing, knowing how hard it is to be so far away from the people who love you the most. Keep up the good work, our country NEEDS men just like you! Love you lots, Jill

Hey, I'm the first! Take that, Kev!!

2/06/2006 3:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brought tears to a proud mom's eyes! Keep this letter handy Sam for when you need a little boost.

2/06/2006 5:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darlene, did you know if you click on "collapse comments" it will take you to the bottom of the comments. From the Smart One!

2/06/2006 5:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, even I learned something from Mom today! Sam, that essay was really great, I think I'll send it to my democratic friends in Boston. I hope you know how proud we are of you. Harley tells me everyday you are his favorite uncle, and you are pretty much my favorite brother :) Love you, Rachel

2/06/2006 9:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,do all you men out there have your valentine plans yet?

2/07/2006 7:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam: great essay! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous: Re: Valentine's Day. Yeah. I think I know what I'm doing. I'm going to go to some singles bar, look for the dame with the same dejected look on her face as mine, and buy her a drink.

"Don't call it a comeback. I've been here for years."
--- Ladies Love Cool James

2/07/2006 9:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam: Also. You seem to be a champion crappy movie watcher. Do you not pay attention to trailers and/or reviews? Next time you feel like seeing a movie, indicate so on this blog (in the comments section is fine) and I'd be happy to tell you if it will be crappy or not.

2/07/2006 9:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I read any other comments I want to say, I just got finished reading the paper that, that Cadet wrote. It was awesome, made me want to cry, and was just darn right good! I imagine how proud his mom is of him. We back here know your there for a good education but this grandma has also looked in the future a little and feel a little safter knowing there are such young men who will be there for us. And this grandma is very proud of her young grandson who is one of these men. Sam, we are so very proud of you. I know it's a long haul but enjoy your young life while you can. I think we will be fighting these idiot terrorists for many years to come and we will need you & all young men like you. I get really a sick feeling when ever Dave tells me he is going to Iraq or Afghanstien ( and that is probably mispelled ). Anyway, that was a awesome paper the young man wrote. Love you, Grandma

2/07/2006 10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dittos to Jeremy's last post. I take the even more extreme view that all movies coming out will suck. (coupled with the fact that Kesi will only go to watch Adam Sandler, cartoons, and movies with titles including the words "wives club" or "dancing") I don't need a trailer to tell me a movie called "Sahara" starring Penelope Cruz is going to be bad. How about "Big Momma's House 2?" There are exceptions to my rule, however. I have to see Steve Martin play the Pink Panther.

2/07/2006 10:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome essay. That sure is something to be proud of and shows a lot of motivation. Wonder if I could write a paper about why I came back to college after winter break..might be interesting as I often wonder what in the world I'm doing here. Wait, what am I thinking, I already write way too many papers for all my classes. Forget that thought!
Sounds like things are going good for ya Sam. Keep it up. I'm a little behind but congrats on winning the milk chugging contest. I've seen one of those done at a summer church camp (of all places!), pretty entertaining!

have a great week,
Tera

2/07/2006 2:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Kev, remember I have no life. I live vicariously through the people on the blog.....educated youth, lawyers who wear tuxedos and fancy shoes who go to gallery openings, stain sniffers, bosses who drink on the job, becaronis who drink everywhere (Ha Ha) and Kesi..but I won't go into that.

2/07/2006 3:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, who says Beckaroni drinks everywhere? Who have you been talking to Jill? Chris, let us know if you see The Pink Pather, I thought that looked good too. We saw Annopolis this past weekend, this kid wasn't going to go back after Christmas break either,to hard, but he saw at his old work where they were taking bets on when he would quit. Sam, do you know if you lost any cadets after Christmas Break?

2/07/2006 5:37 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I've seen "Crash" and it is a really good movie. I watched it here at the Academy with some guys, and again with Mom and Dad when I was home for Thanksgiving. I think it's good because it portrays everyone as having prejuidices, not just white people.

2/07/2006 10:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo!

Comment deleted

Sam (The Comment Nazi): "No post for you!"

2/08/2006 7:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,

Anything Don Cheadle does is amazing, because there are no better actors on Earth. Therefore, Crash must be amazing.

Also, I think it's nice to see Sandra Bullock participating in actual acting again, rather than that other stuff she was doing in Miss Congeniality 2.

2/08/2006 8:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandra Bullock is definitely on my "do-not-watch" list -along with Julia Roberts, Richard Gere, Cameron Diaz, J. Lopez, Owen Wilson, Ben Afleck and his little brother, that GQ ER dumbass Clooney, and those who starred in any "wives club" or "dancing" movies.

"Watch" list: Movies starring, directed, or produced by Clint Eastwood. This is the only guarantee of quality filmage.

2/08/2006 8:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT!?

Clooney will be our Grant, as Willis is our Bogart.

Chris, go see Brother Where Art Thou and tell me Clooney stinks. Also see his small role in that movie about the gameshow host/CIA hitman.

I assure you he's probably also badness in Syrianna (However it's spelled).

2/08/2006 8:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"O Brother Where art Thou" was good and Clooney was great in that. That role, however, was the exception not the rule. ERERERERERERERER and "Clooney's 11 & 12" GQGQGQGQGQGQGQGQGQ He should start doing ads for feminine products.

2/08/2006 9:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladies: please tell my brother that he has no idea what he's talking about and that his masculinity must be threatened by George Clooney's debonoir ways.

And he was good on ER...

You just don't like him because he gets all the ladies...

2/08/2006 12:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you remember his attempt at Batman!
Juma is partly correct. He does get all the ladies. So would Corky if the writers put it in the script. But, he doesn't get the ladies because he's a man. He gets the ladies because he acts the way high maintenence single women want men to act. (See Armageddon when B. Afleck commits ball suicide when he sings "Jet Plane" (or whatever) to little Ms Taylor. I bet every woman out there thought that was romantic; while every man with a pair wanted his money back.)

2/08/2006 12:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, you seem to be hatin' tha playa when you should be hatin' tha game.

Don't hate, participate.

2/08/2006 3:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is anyone out there?

2/08/2006 3:20 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I'm here, and you need to stop playa' hatin'. George Clooney is a great man. He single-handedly killed the entire "Batman" franchise, and also managed to pack every conceivable bankrobber/buddy film/"Brokeback Mountain" cliches into not one, but TWO movies starring none other than himself. He is truely an icon for the ages.

2/08/2006 3:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah: I've seen clips of her in Crash and she looked incredible. I always thought of her as a good actor who just picked really crappy roles. I'm glad she was good...

Chris: Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind. That's the CIA one I was talkin' about. Clooney's good in that...

He was also good in Three Kings...

And he directed Good Night And Good Luck...

And he was good as the voice of Sparky The Dog in South Park's Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride episode.

2/08/2006 6:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I am here, too. I have to say the best actors/actresses are.... drumroll please...... Barbara Streisand, Alex Baldwin, Any Sheen fellow, Robbins and Sarandon, and that black rapper who said "George Bush doesn't like black people", and Ted Danson. These people are the BEST OF THE BEST, actors/rappers as well as extremely correct in the political views they hold. I love them so very much. If only the USA had more people like these, I wouldn't need to leave the country......Lynn O'Hara

2/08/2006 7:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To all the Ben Affleck haters of America: Watch Team America: World Police, you will thank me later. Oh and nothing compares to George Clooney's performance as Booker in the old sitcom Roseanne! His hair was sooooo out of control. Seriously though, Clooney is an amazing actor. Oh, Brother...rules, but his biggest mistake definitely came when he tried out dance the devil in the pale moonlight. Bruce Wayne he may be. Batman, he is not.

2/09/2006 1:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, I totally agree with your " do-not-watch" list, and I do not like Clooney either, oh and did you forget about Tom Cruise! ICK! I also can't stand Will Ferral or anything with Alec Baldwin! ICK! ICK! And Sarah, at least dad and I have reservations, next year we will make them beginning of Feburary, and go to sleep at 6pm! You are talking about the dancing queens! PLEASE! Hey Sam, was it Jill's entries that you deleted?

2/09/2006 7:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt Beckaroni; a real woman! You need to pass that on to your princess daughter and her prince boyfriend (defending Ben Afleck and G. Clooney). While you're at it, Aunt "Has Taste" Beckaroni, remind the princess that "Pretty Woman" was about a skanky used prostitute who most likely abused cocaine and had hepatitis, herpes, or even aids. It is as if Hollywood said: lets make Cinderella a whore, throw a stupid Roy Orbison song in it and see if people will buy it. Cha-ching.
This is coming from a guy who likes "Cabin Boy" and cheesey sports movies like "Rudy."

Oh yeah, Clooney was good in "Three Kings." I concede that. However, this role and his other good one, "O' Brother..." have a significant differentiating characteristic. He played them opposite no leading ladies. The writers were allowed to make him a man. Put a leading woman against him, and he becomes Mr. GQ Suave with his combed foreward hair and his oh-so-witty romantic B-freak'n-S.

Yep

2/09/2006 8:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Chris you hate any story involving any sort of romance. I deem your opinions regarding same biased and irrelevant. Ergo, I win and, therefore, na-na-nah, ha-ha-ha, you lose.

Love,
Jeremy <--- in the right.

Also, I didn't know Lynn was such a Kanye West fan. Who'da thunk it?

2/09/2006 9:53 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I didn't delete any comments. I don't know how that happened.

I'll tell you who the bestest actor is: Kiefer Sutherland. He's a complete badass. He'd kill George Clooney, Batman, Danny "I like little boys" Ocean, AND Lo Pan in any competition you can muster. Sha-zamm!

2/09/2006 10:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like romance- Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Dracula.

Jeremy, was it Lynn or Jill?

2/09/2006 10:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris: Yes, it was Jill posing as Lynn again, I'm sure. Defaming my godmother.

Also: Dracula is the only one of those movies that contains any romantic vibe. And it's balanced nicely with plenty of bloodshed and vampiring. Do 'gain.

2/09/2006 11:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern, have you seen the Pink Panther tv spots? Kesi thinks I'm an idiot because it's the only comedy at which I have laughed that doesn't star Will Ferrel or Ben Stiller. And I mean LAUGH! The "hambuger" spot sent me to the living room floor. Pure comedic genius.

Hey, "Big Momma's House 2" is out!

2/09/2006 1:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I erred, ...only NEW comedy at which I have laughed...

2/09/2006 1:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris: I believe Pink Panther could be a coin toss. I have no idea. Steve Martin has been capable of making some terrible stuff. But he's a genius and I'm sure this is a project he's been wanting to do for a while.

Kevin Klein is also really funny.

BUT: It also stars Beyonce'.

I'll vote: Crap with some funny moments.

2/09/2006 3:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll stick to watching the tv spots.

2/09/2006 3:52 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I'd go see the Pink Panther. Then again, I don't get out much and would pretty much kill to see any movie that isn't on DVD. Woe is me.

2/09/2006 4:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone...
This movie stuff is really thrilling to read...here's my take...Crash is a great movie...Pretty Woman was never meant for men to watch, if you ask any girl here favorite part is when Julia Roberts character goes SHOPPING with someone else's CREDIT CARD and with NO LIMIT...that is like a girl's wet dream. Brokeback Mountain is well, gay, surprisingly Josh liked it...he thought it was a good love story...I thought it was choppy and slightly annoying, plus if I thought about it too long it grossed me out. How about TV people! Doesn't eveyone love Walker Texas Ranger? Chuck Norris is so hot, I never miss an infomercial! Check out www.chucknorrisfacts.com if you are as big a fan as me...
Wish me luck on our show this weekend, Josh and I are in Oklahoma City this weekend...Bye Everyone, Rach

2/09/2006 8:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rach,I do wish you and Josh a big windfall and you sell every last sign. Now to more important stuff, someone on this blog site is having a birthday on Sunday. Happy Birthday to Jeremy on Sunday, have a great day, any plans? And are you going to be 28 or 29? Sam, I hope you get out this weekend,sneak out with a upper classman!

2/10/2006 7:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky: Thank you so much. As my favorite aunt, you never disappoint. I'm going to grab a steak with my pal James and a co-worker or two. That's about it. I may see a play tomorrow evening. We'll see how it plays.

Rachel/Josh: I agree with Josh. Brokeback Mountain was a very good movie. I'm a huge fan of anything Ang Lee does. He's one of my favorite directors. I also love Jake Gyllenhaal (however that's spelled). He was impressive in this. Yes, Heath Ledger was good, but I think Gyllenhaal's being overlooked a bit. I'm glad he got a supporting actor nod by the Acadamy. More than a good love story, I think it shows how when gay people are compelled to live straight, it detrimentally affects everyone---wives, kids, families, etc. To me, that's the point of the movie.

Recommended.

2/10/2006 10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. But not recommended for Chris. On account of all the lovey-dovey-ness and yearning.

2/10/2006 1:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. 28, Becky.

2/10/2006 1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeremy, Looks like just you and me was able to get on blog site before it went down, what is up with that? Going to see a play Jeremy, how awesome is that, let us know about it if it plays out for you. Hi Sam,hope your not getting to many beatings this weekend. Love Mom

2/10/2006 6:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam has been busy these past few days, he has been going though some beatings leading up to Recongnition Day sometime in March, Sam if you read this explain it better, anyway, it is something that they did away a few years ago but decided to bring it back this year! Sam said the phyical part is more intence than Bacis! They had to send a couple of guys to the hospital! YIKES!

2/12/2006 7:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I skipped the play and went to a theatre benefit which was much more fun. All the booze and food you could consume for $40 plus 3 musical acts including my friend busting out her bluesy vocals. Wonderful stuff.

Enjoy your beatings, Sam.

2/12/2006 1:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home