Calm Down!
Yes, I'm still alive Aunt Jill. It's just that nothing really interesting has been going on since the last time I posted. We been having training to get us prepared for Recognition. Recognition was outlawed by Congress a couple years ago becuase it was getting out of hand with hazing and other things. Well, our new Superintendant got it back so we get to go throug the wonderful experience. We'll pretty much be back in Basic Training for two and a half days. Those days will be filled with "training" session (pushups, flutter kicks, squats, other crap), running course like the obstacle and assault course, inspections, runs, and being at attention. At the end, we get out Prop and Wings which signifies that we are upperclassman.
When we get out Prop and Wings, we get a few more privilages. We can wear normal civilian clothes. We'll get to where our backpacks on our shoulders instead of having to carry them in our left hand. Oh, and we get to talk when we're outside. It seems weird how we're all excited about giving the privilage to wear backpacks and talk when the rest of the world can do that whenever they want. The Academy is a strange, crazy place!

72 Comments:
Hey
3/09/2006 8:35 AM
Sam-
Good to hear you are still alive out there in Colorado! I can't wait to see you when you get back for spring break! Good luck in all your beatings this week, Love Rach
3/09/2006 8:49 AM
I would never survive, no bookbags on your back and no talking. Seems painful, luckily all that is almost over and you'll be a little more like the average, everyday student. Well, sort of..
Happy 23rd Trisha. Yes, I was the first to wish her a HB this morning at 12:05AM. I'm an awesome sister!
Take care everyone. My spring break starts tomorrow, however I'll be working in the bakery all week...care for a donut Sam?
Later--Tera
3/09/2006 11:05 AM
Hi Sam, Thanks for use of your room. Mom did take down the plastic wrap. We had a great time and went to that pizza place, Mister Salty's. Fun time there. The guys sang Happy Birthday to Billy. Hey Tera, If you read this take a donut or two by Aunt Deb's. She's living in her bed at this time. Surgery March 20
3/09/2006 1:46 PM
Hey Sam,
Sounds like your doing just fine. Sorry I have not been on here for awhile. Things have been sort of crazy for me. But I do think of you often and check the blog out nearly every day.
Love ya,
Aunt Terry
3/09/2006 3:00 PM
Sam! You are still there! I was beginning to get really worried. Sounds like you have alot ahead of you this weekend but it will be so worth it. Thanks for writing again, being a stay at home mom I log on to the computer about 19 times a day. Have a great weekend! You can do it! Love you lots!
3/09/2006 3:22 PM
Hi Sam, Good to see your new blog, even though I knew first hand what was going on with ya, guess you could say I was "in the know", hahah, SO does this mean that I won't get to see you in your uniform when you step off the plane? In that case I will just let dad pick ya up, just kidding, uniform or not looking forward to seeing ya. Love Mom
3/09/2006 4:01 PM
oops, almost forgot, Happy Birthday Trisha! Party Hardy and I know you will! Have some fun on Spring Break Tera. Love Aunt Becky
3/09/2006 4:09 PM
Just so you all know, Mom's "first hand info" comes from a she-devil known as Susie "Satan's Wife" Shulte. This devilspawn is probably the most evil person on the face of the earth. She spreads lies and disinformation about the Academy. Oh, and her daughter goes here too. She/it was our Group Commander. No one likes her.
3/09/2006 5:37 PM
Sam, for your infommation, My first hand knowledge is from you!! GEEZ! Susie is my friend, don't talk about her that way, oh and she is the one that sent info about your zoomie account! Have a good weekend everybody. Where has Chris and Jeremy been this week?
3/10/2006 7:30 AM
Chris has been here all along. I've been bored responding to myself vis a vis the lack of participation from everyone else. (See the previous post, I put up at least three consecutive comments.)
3/10/2006 8:32 AM
That's true. Sorry Chris. What's going on in your world? Not much here, just classes and beatings.
3/10/2006 9:29 AM
Just stamp/initial, stamp/initial.
Are the "beatings" references in regards to some Dateline or 60 Minutes story?
3/10/2006 9:43 AM
The "beatings" refer to mandatory training sessions. Pretty much, the upperclassmen make us do all sort of exersise, mostly pushups and flutterkicks. It's really not that bad, but it gets annoying.
3/10/2006 9:46 AM
It sounds like the King of the Hill episode where Bobby is sent to the military school. The upperclassmen run through the barracks banging trash can lids together.
Seems a lot like Cursillo too, moronic annoyances used as comic relief for those perpetuating the custom; or a pathetic attempt at intimidation. Either way, that's what you get from the "feminization" of the military acadamies, flutterkicks.
3/10/2006 9:57 AM
That's pretty much it Chris. My favorite is when the upperclassmen start ti break, i.e. they can't do any more. After all the screaming and stuff, it turns out they suck. Score one for me.
3/10/2006 10:21 AM
That reminds me of my cousin Corey not giving in to an upperclassman's freshman "hazing" game during lunch at QND. The senior had a most pitiful and embarrassed look to his face. I'm glad I never participated in such stupid wastes of time.
That reminds me also, Sam, QND won its first regional basketball game as a AA school. QND eventually lost to Alton (I think)in the semis then QHS beat them by one point the next day. Not too bad for a school of 500. Of course after the "private school" sports multiplier QND takes credit for a fictional 830. Hence our new AA standing.
3/10/2006 10:35 AM
I apologize for my absence. I've been dispensing justice left and rightn all up in this hizzy.
Work is killin' me.
Anybody doin' anything fun this weekend? I have a party this evening for one of our hospital clients. It should be nothing but martinis and flutter kicks. On Saturday I have about 8 people coming over for a shoot each other marathon in Halo. (An "intendo" game, to all you grownups).
Sunday will be work-filled, I'm sure. And maybe I'll buy some curtains.
3/10/2006 11:53 AM
Lent Update:
So giving up TV has been the best thing ever. I'm pretty certain I'm the best "Star Wars Battlefront" (X-Box) player in the galaxy. I've also read a couple books (bound paper with words).
Chris: how's the coffee sacrifice?
Becky: did you find anything to give up for Lent, or do you still not love Jesus enough to do so?
3/10/2006 11:59 AM
Stop F$#^ing pushing me, man!
3/10/2006 12:28 PM
Beckaroni gave up: going to communion (you know carbs 'n such), internet porn, and flipping-off the neighbor girl. Uncle Kevin would not let her give up cleaning the gutters or making martinis.
3/10/2006 12:41 PM
Chris you crack me up, how did you know all the stuff I gave up for Lent? Except you were wrong about giving up communion, I just gave up the wine. We have nothing planned as yet this weekend, might go out to dinner with another couple, might take in a movie, might stay home and watch movies? Anyone seen any good movies, Pink Pather? We are dog sitting Harley this weekend for Rach and Josh,they are in Quincy this weekend! Jeremy have fun at your party, I have never had a martini,what should I order to try one? Sam, what did you mean on the post when you say " upperclassmen start ti break, ie.? Jeremy, thanks for explaining the shooting marathon? Have a good weekend everyone.
3/10/2006 1:39 PM
Don't order a regular martini unless you like straight gin. Order a "Cointreau martini." It has an orange-like flavor and will not kick your ass as much. It also looks like a martini.
DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING BLUE! Unless you would like an accompanying "novice" sticker to put on your head.
However, if you like gin, request a "Bombay Sapphire perfect martini."
This is a (Mike/Chris/Jeremy)Holbrook staple.
3/10/2006 2:04 PM
I have a pretty sweet weekend planned. First, the whole wing gets to go to school tomorrow because of Recongnition next week. Plus, I have to do a research paper I haven't started and a paper for history. Oh wait, it gets better. Even if I did leave this weekend, I can't. Because a kid from my class (2009) stole the seniors (2006) class crest, all of 2009 is restricted (can't leave the Academy) until it is returned. I can't wait!
3/10/2006 2:16 PM
Hi Becky,
Martinis are legion in variety. My favorite is a dry Bombay Martini. Not Bombay Sapphire, but regular Bombay gin. Most ladies I know enjoy Vodka martinis. You may want to go that route. In that case, you just look at the menu and see what sounds yummy. After dinner, you'd get a desert martini, usually of the chocolate variety. But you can try the fruity ones.
Bombay gin. Dry. Neat.
3/10/2006 2:16 PM
Ahhh, Chris beat me. Yep, Chris. I like regular Bombay better than the Sapphire now for some reason. It's dryer.
I'd stay away from any blue beverage as a general rule.
Pineapple martinis are good. Cointreau is always a delicious thing to find in a beverage. I'm a sucker for martinis with Cointreau...
3/10/2006 2:21 PM
Chocolate martini: "Little Kid" STICKER apply here ;(
Be a WOMAN, order the Cointreau!
3/10/2006 2:24 PM
I just saw the posting "times," 2:16 to 2:16. Badass!
That means I saw the message 20 minutes before Jeremy (due to my typing intardness).
3/10/2006 2:31 PM
I need a martini.
3/10/2006 2:53 PM
Favorite chocolate martini in Chicago: The Rasberry Truffle Martini at the Peninsula hotal bar.
Chocolate martinis are yum, Chris. You can't deny it... you can't. One sip of this thing and you'll stop singin' your song about Chocolate martinis being for kids.
So good. So dang good.
3/10/2006 2:58 PM
I'll stay with the after dinner Cognac.
Chocolate martinis are for kids, are for kids...
Chocolate martinis are for kids, early in the evening...
Jeremy, if you want to be a super hero, you can't drink chocolate alcohol. It's a rule!
3/10/2006 3:10 PM
Hey Chris and Jeremy, thanks for all the ideas on what to order in a martini,I don't like dry, so is this cointreau sweet? semi dry? The chocolate one sounds very tasty. Sam, that is to bad about that kid stealing that crest, hope it gets returned soon. So you actually have class tomorrow? Sam, just keep in your head that Spring Break is just 14 days away!
3/10/2006 3:22 PM
The Cointreau martini is not "dry" in the sense that Jeremy is speaking. It's about as sweet as I can take an alcoholic drink, but it is still 80 proof. There aren't any fillers to weaken this martini as is with "berry" martinis, which include... berry stuff. Any true martini is going to be 99% some 80 proof alcohol and 1% vermouth and/or bitters. Jeremy/My Father/I like 99.9% martinis. This is the difference between a martini and a "dry" martini (respectively). Vern's reference was to the alcohol itself; remember this fact when ordering.
3/10/2006 3:38 PM
Wait! Beckaroni has to like "raspberry", right?
Order a Chambord martini! It's as close to foo-foo as I get with good alcy drinks. It really is not a martini, though. But then again neither are the Cointreau and Chocolate ones. I think they are called martinis because of the glass. (Kind of like Champagne... Asti is not Champagne; it's Italian, Gumby!)
How about Chambord Jeremy? Good idea?
3/10/2006 3:51 PM
Just letting you know that I had my first martini tonight and I had a Bombay, it was yummy! Rach called me on our way home from dinner, she told me the news of Bruse, sorry to hear that, and also that Mike and Sue are getting a new house! WOW! that is great, can't wait to see it. Hey Chris and Jeremy, you dad is coming here March 31st weekend, tell him to bring his martini stuff so he can whip one up for me. TTYL.
3/10/2006 6:02 PM
Oh! Glad you enjoyed the Bombay Martini! Some people really like dirty martinis. Those are good with Bombay sapphire or regular Bombay Gin. "Dirty" means that they pour in some olive juice. It's a favorite among my friends. I too had a Bombay Martini last night. It was delicious.
3/12/2006 3:28 PM
While all you cool people were out getting Martini's I was at school yesterday. Plus, I'm trying to write a research paper but it's way too hard with Selection Sunday and all the conference championships going on!
3/12/2006 3:30 PM
SARAH!!!! (Notice I am yelling your name) You went into your CAR during a tornado????!!! You will be punished the next time I see you, be aware of that.
3/13/2006 6:43 AM
All right Beckaroni! Bombay martini. What kind did Uncle Kevin order, Sapphire, Tangeuray Ten?
3/13/2006 8:52 AM
Yeah, Mom called me around 9:30 our time to say that they were going to the basement. I told her not to let in our weird-o neighbor Sonya. She's old and crazy. Mom called again later (while I was watching "Shaun of the Dead") to tell me that everything was okay. Thanks Mom!
3/13/2006 9:33 AM
I loved Shaun of the Dead....
3/13/2006 9:53 AM
Sam, did you see Air Force has to play Illinois in the first round. Can you say "quick exit?"
Underdogs I'm really rooting for:
1-George Mason over Michigan St.
5-Texas A&M over Syracuse
4-So. Illinois over West VA
2-Anybody over Kansas (Bradley this year)
3-Montana over Nevada
6-Anybody over North Carolina (Murray State this year)
3/13/2006 10:00 AM
Jermey: Yes, Shaun of the Dead is a great movie
Chirs: Air Force will definately lose against Illinois. Oh, and Missouri State definately got screwed out of a bid, most likely by Air Force. MSU has become the team with the highest RPI not to get into the tourney. Not to bash on my school, but we really shouldn't have gotten.
Oh, and I think Gonzaga will take it this year.
3/13/2006 10:04 AM
I would love to see Gonzaga stick it to the selection committee and win it all, unless Illinois gets there too. Ah! that would suck, two teams I like in the championship game. (Sounds like this year's Super Bowl)
3/13/2006 10:12 AM
I'd love to see Illinois win it but I just don't think they can do it this year.
I'd like to see a Villinova/Gonzaga final.
3/13/2006 10:14 AM
I would like Gonzaga/Connecticut.
I cant stand UConn.
I hate even saying or spelling U-C-o-n-n.
3/13/2006 10:18 AM
Hahaha! That'd be a good game too. It just sucks for me because I'll be doing all the Recognition stuff Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I'll miss pretty much all of the 1st and 2nd rounds, which are the best.
3/13/2006 10:25 AM
Kesi just gave me the key to our new apartment. Super nice, super cheap.
3/13/2006 10:35 AM
That's cool. I can't wait to stop living in dorms and get a real place.
3/13/2006 10:37 AM
I can't believe the rent. Jeremy will S in his pants when he sees this place.
3/13/2006 10:39 AM
When I see this place? How the heck do you think I can make it to Douth Dakota? Hitchhiking? Cattle car?
Is South Dakota considered one of the contiguous states?
3/13/2006 11:06 AM
Stagecoach, duh.
(Sipping on my chai tea in 28F weather)
3/13/2006 12:04 PM
Sam, do you have access to a fax machine; or can you fax from your computer? If so, fax me a copy of your NCAA bracket at 605-677-5078. I'll put you in our (Kesi & ME) pool. Jeremy, dittos.
Here is the point system:
Points are awarded by seed number multiplied by round number.
Ex: Gonzaga win 1st round 3 points, 2nd round 6 points and so on.
16, 32, & 64 bonus pts are awarded for regional champs, semi. champs, and Champions respectively.
This system povides incentive to pick upsets early, but requires providence when choosing your "Elite 8"
Anyone else? See fax # above
3/13/2006 12:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm off TV for Lent (except "24") so there will be little fun for me in making these picks. No NCAA tournament brackets for me.
Cheerio.
How's the Chai Tea, deano? What kind did you get?
3/13/2006 12:50 PM
Lipton
You can still fill it out and see the results online, Peanut Brittle!
3/13/2006 1:12 PM
I don't have access to a fax but I'll get my picks to you somehow.
3/13/2006 2:10 PM
Get your picks ready, and I'll email you my NCAA2006 excel spreadsheet. Just fill it out. It makes the process even easier for me. What is your email address?
3/13/2006 2:39 PM
sambi5@hotmail.com
I already have my picks done, so I'll just have to fill them in.
Thanks
3/13/2006 2:43 PM
Hey, I'm not really sure why you called me "Peanut Brittle" but I'll let that slide.
Listen. I ain't gots time to be in another pool of sorts. I have fancy schmancy engagements to attend and things of that ilk.
Wake me up for our football pool.
3/13/2006 3:02 PM
Frick'n Peanut Brittle!
3/13/2006 3:12 PM
Whatever, Ginger Snap.
3/13/2006 3:15 PM
PB!
3/13/2006 3:20 PM
Hi Sam,I see you were kept busy today with all the chatter,how do you guys get anything done? Sarah, you and Tom should of come back here last night. We heard on the news that 200 homes were lost last night in the surrounding areas,thank God we were bypassed yet again. Sam, I missed having you here for the storm, I know how you and dad always liked watching it. Chris,Kevin did not drink,he always lets me drink and he drives, it works out quite well for me. TTYL.
3/13/2006 3:47 PM
He doesn't drink and drive like the rest of us?
Sam and I got a lot done. I emailed him my NCAA bracket.
3/13/2006 3:51 PM
Yes, and I'm filling it out. Today has probably been the most productive day I've had in a while.
3/13/2006 3:53 PM
I threw that spreadsheet together rather quickly. So if the formulas are not working, go ahead and bypass them.
3/13/2006 4:02 PM
I received your brackets Sam. I'll bring my Mac in today so I can apply your picks to the system.
3/14/2006 7:30 AM
Sweet! Thanks Chris.
3/14/2006 7:38 AM
Most. Comments. Ever.
I'm thirsty. Off to get some Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea.
Yumms.
St. Patrick's Day plans anyone??? Should be plenty of fun here in Chicago. They go crazy in this city for that kind of junk. Beer and acting stupid is on the menu here.
3/14/2006 12:13 PM
There are a ton of posts on here. I think I might write a new entry tonight.
When is St. Patty's Day? I'm sure the upperclassmen are all going to get wasted, which means a night of hilarity for me!
3/14/2006 12:24 PM
SAM! St. Patricks Day is always on March 17th,Friday, please don't ask me if Easter is on a Sunday? To answer Jeremy, I would like to find a green beer someplace? hmmm, no plans right now, and the Bishop is letting us to eating meat on Friday too so we can eat brats and sauerkrat, I know I spelled all those words wrong, its been a long day for me, that is my excuse.
3/14/2006 4:14 PM
You were deadly close to nailing sauerkraut. I think that's how it's spelled.
The Bishop is letting you eat meat on Friday because it's St. Patrick's day? That sounds pretty Vatican II.
Pre-vatican II. Thems were the days. No arbitrary exceptions to the arbitrary rules. Now that was the life. It was all in Latin, but it was the life.
Arise chicken, arise.
3/14/2006 4:23 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home