...or the Daring Adventures of Daring-Do from the Most Eccentrical Wunderkind der Springfield via Quincy

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Recognize This!



So, this past weekend was the hardest, taxing 51 hours of my entire life, both physically and mentally. I was pushed to the point were I couldn’t do another pushup, another flutter kick, or pull-up but I made it through alive. Now I’m an upperclassmen with all the privileges and none of the duties, so needless to say, Recognition is much like the Academy: it sucks while you’re going through it but once you’re out it’s incredible.

Alright. Recognition started Thursday afternoon with a retreat parade and dinner. At dinner, the 4* sat and ate at ease, so no talking. After dinner, we all had to go down to the basketball arena to watch AF play Illinois in the NCAA tourney opening round. During the whole game I was just anxious for the unknown that was about to be thrown upon myself and my classmates. After then game, all the upperclassmen left and the 4* had to move to one side of the arena. We got a speech from some people, but I didn’t really pay attention. Anyway, after that, we had to run back up to our dorms. For those of you who haven’t been out here, my dorm is about a half-mile and 100 vertical feet from the basketball place. Well, once we got to our squad entered “Heaven and Hell.” Basically we were split into groups of 4 and taken to different stations. At the stations we had to do all sorts of exercises: squats, lunges, Ranger claps, pushups, sit-ups, crunches, flutter kicks, leg raises, bear crawls, grenades, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, sprints, and other stuff. If you were doing well, you got to take a few minutes break in “Heaven,” where you could sit down and get a drink. After that it was back to “Hell.” And it was hell. This whole thing lasted for about an hour and half. After that was showers and bedtime.

At 0’Dark-Thirty in the morning (about 5:30 AM to you civvies) my roommate and I were woken up by pounding on our doors. I thought, “S***, here it goes.” After the obligatory “Sir, we are waiting for our classmates” while doing pushups, we marched to breakfast were we ate at attention. Next we had a knowledge bowl. We killed this other squad so we didn’t get beat too much after. The next course of the day was the Assault Course. For this we had to have our old school M-14 rifles that weigh about 11 pounds. Mine’s name is Beth, after my old roommates’ sister. Anyway, the Assault Course (or A-Course) was not cool. We had to do unarmed combat which kills your legs, sprint up hills with sand bags, do ladders, tons of grenades, high knees with our rifles above our heads, and more sprints. Needless to say, after the A-Course, I was dead. Next came lunch, again at attention. After that we had the Leadership Reaction Course. This course was easy and pretty worthless, but at least we didn’t get beat during it. Next we had a sweet “Combat Nap,” an hour and a half break to do whatever. But we had no idea what was coming up next.

The next course we had was the Academy Tour. Essentially, this is when the upperclassmen beat you at different locations on campus while they read to you about the significance of the that place. We did sprint on the T-zo (suicides mostly), downhill push-ups and flutter kicks on Spirit Hill, grenades and push-ups at the Class Wall, and low crawls, grenades, high knees, lunges, and push-ups at the Honor Court and Chapel. Just as we were about to switch stations and run down to the Parade field, training for the day was called off. The reason for this? THERE WERE NOT ENOUGH AMBULANCES TO TAKE ANY MORE 4* TO THE HOSPITAL. They stopped training because the Academy ran out of ambulances. I think somewhere around 80 people went to the hospital, but I’m not sure on that. Anyway, after that hell was over we had dinner. Fried shrimp…mmm mmm good. Then we had a speaker at A-Hall. He was okay.

The last thing of the night were “Theme Rooms.” The 4* get in flight suits and are blindfold with flight scarves. We were lead in groups of 4 to various rooms set up to portray situation we may be in during our AF career. One should an interrogation by Iraqi insurgents; one showed prisoners of war, another was flight sim. One room had a coffin with my picture on the table and they read the account of how I died in combat and all the people I left behind. All the rooms were great and had a big impact on me. It gave me a real sense of what I’m here to do and what my future could hold.

Saturday was the last day of Recognition. I was ready for it to be over too! After breakfast we had SAMI prep. This consisted of us not cleaning and changing into 4 different uniforms. Next was “Chutes and Ladders.” This was pretty much like the children’s board game, except with more beatings and less enjoyment. It really wasn’t too bad but when you’re extremely tired, simply walking up a set of steps is grueling. We went back to the squad and had our actual SAMI, aka a SLAMI. This inspection wasn’t really an inspection, but just a reason for upperclassmen to throw our stuff all over our rooms and completely mess them up. Basically my room was trashed. Oh well. Then there was lunch, followed by the Run to the Rock. That was cool because it was just us and the firsties. It kind of served as a way to pass the tradition of Recognition for them (the last class before us to do it) to us.

Finally we were done. We all got cleaned up and into service dress. Our rooms had been cleaned by the juniors and sophomores. The rooms actually look nicer than they had ever been before. Finally we got to our prop and wings ceremony. This is definitely the coolest thing during Recognition. All the 4* were in the TV waiting. Then an upperclassmen would announce someone’s name, “Cadet 4th Class Samuel K. Holbrook…Recognized!” At that point, I walked out the door and reported in to an upperclassmen. He congratulated me and shook my hand. I took a right and started marching at attention down the center hall of the squad. The whole squad was dark except for a single light behind the Viking 9 flag at the end of the hallway. Along the walls stood all the upperclassmen, wearing service dress and white gloves. If they salute you, they respect your. So, I was hoping someone would salute me. As I’m walking, I got near the first group of people. Then, I see all these white gloves raise and salute me. I kept walking and the other groups did the same thing. It was really cool. The last group was the seniors. As I approached, the all drew their sabers and saluted. Then they made a tunnel our of their swords. I walked forward, saluted our AOC and shook hands with some other people. Final I turned toward the C1C Sealy, the guy I’d chosen to pin on my Prop and Wings. After I get them, I headed up to the SAR to wait for everyone to get done.

So that’s Recognition. I had to leave some stuff out because this is already way too long, but you get the picture. If you really want to hear about, I’m sure I’ll see most of you during the summer or something. I’m glad I went through Recognition. There’s a great sense of accomplishing something that difficult and challenging. Now I know that I can push my self farther than I previously thought…and drink a gallon of milk in under 15 minutes.

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,

That sounded completely cool. Even though you went through hell it had to mean a lot to have people salute you. I don't envy you with all the work, but without that, the ceremony doesn't mean much. By the way, I'm still in the hunt for March Madness. I need Villanova to win it all though.

Later,
Kesi

3/22/2006 11:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine work, Sam! I have to admit, I started to get teary eyed when you told us about them saluting and raising their swords to you. It makes it all worth it, doesn't it. (Why did it take them so long to learn what we already knew??) I hate that you had to go through all that hell, ut soon you'll get some much needed time off! Thanks for the blog Sam! I needed it!

3/22/2006 11:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like basketball practice, except with swords and pins.

3/22/2006 1:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sam! Excellent work. Enjoy your much deserved break---whenever that may be.

3/22/2006 6:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sam, Loved the new comment on your blog, like Aunt Jill, I too got teary when you walked though and got all the salutes, how cool. Sam will be home here this very Friday for a nice long week at home, YEAH! See you soon Sam, Love Mom and Congratulations again, plus I can't wait to hear more, epecially about those special rooms.

3/22/2006 8:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, we are so very proud of you. I read your blog and at first I was dead tired and ready to go to bed and rest for you, then I read the Recognition Ceremony and I could just picture you walking down that isle with all the young men suluting you and when it came to the sabers making a tunnel for you, I had tears in my eyes. You are doing great Sam, as I knew you would. Love you, Grandma and Grandpa Marcks I there is a video of this I would love to see it.

3/22/2006 8:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,
Your new blog just simply gave me chills....I am so very proud of you. You have accomplished so much in just a short amount of time....I can only imagine what the future holds for you.
Love you,
Aunt Terry

3/23/2006 8:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,
I loved your new entry, it makes me even more excited to see you in a couple days. I am so proud of you and you should be proud of yourself too. I also got a little teary eyed reading your blog, it gives us all glimpse into your life at the academy. Most of us are probably thinking "I'm so glad I didn't have to do Hell week", but we are also thinking "Thank God there are people like you who do it" because America would be nowhere without you and all the other military people who give up part of their lives for our country. Thanks for making us proud, Love Rach

3/23/2006 9:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, That was a awesome comment from you, I think you put in words what we all think. This time tomorrow night Sam will be getting ready to fly home! See you soon Sam, Love Mom

3/23/2006 3:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why will we not be seeing you two (you and Sarah) this weekend in Quincy for the wedding!!???

3/23/2006 7:07 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Uh...wow. Tonight definitely sucked for my bracket. Chris, I'm sure that you're feeling my pain also. I only have ONE of my Final Four left and it's just the third round. Good thing I'll be home for the other games because I can't take much more pressure here at the Academy.

3/23/2006 11:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous--Sarah has families to take care of this weekend and Sam's buddies are on Spring Break and go back to school Monday...I think he deserves to do pretty much whatever he wants with his time, don't you? From Anonymous II

3/24/2006 6:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Results after day one "Sweet 16"

Chris 214
Rich 187 (eliminated)
Cullen 164
Kathy 154
Kesi 150
Sam 135 (eliminated)
Greg 129
Jerry 115 (has all final four teams remaining)

3/24/2006 7:55 AM

 
Blogger Sam said...

I may have gotten completely destoryed in the last round of the tournament, but I'm doing okay because I get to go home today. Sweet!

3/24/2006 7:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,
Have fun on your well deserved break! Have a great week!
Love,
Aunt Terry

3/24/2006 1:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah is home with the flu today, so excuse her snippiness! As it turns out she won't be helping anyone or going any place , she has it bad at both ends. As for Sam, he really doesn't want to do the 5 hour car drive, but yeah you Quincy folks, you got me and Kevin, the most important of all of them!!

3/24/2006 1:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"From both ends."

I can't add to that excellent piece of humor.

3/24/2006 3:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Saturday. I'm at work. Bleh. I'd give anything to be doing flutterkicks instead.

Sam. What are flutterkicks? I imagine that it's some sort of attack Jean Claud Van Dame would do against a standing opponent. Ya know, like he balances on one leg and kicks the guy in the face with a a "flutter" of 10 kicks.

If it's anything less fun than that, then please don't sign me up.

:)

Jeremy

3/25/2006 4:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy,

Want to know what's more fun than being at work on a Saturday??? Being at work on a Sunday. I'm jetting out of here to go watch the NCAA tourney though. In our pool the only people left that have a chance of winning are me and Chris. For me to win, Villanova has to take it all otherwise Chris wins. Anywho, hope everyone has a good weekend!

Kesi

3/26/2006 7:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone,I am home today! YEAH! I took off work to be home to spoil Sam, who is still sleeping at the hour of 10:00 am! UGH! Wasting his day away. Anyway,had a great time in Quincy at Nick's wedding, How are you feeling Trish? She was a party animal! Good to see all the Quincy folks. And congrats again to Nick and Cheyenne! Kesi, a flutter kick is when you lay on your back, hands under your rear and hold your stomach in, and flutter your feet without touching the floor, ouch, try it and when you think you can't do anymore, keep doing them. Ok, have a good working day ya all, going to see if I can wake Sam up,feed him breakfast, take him shopping for civvies, go out to lunch, buy him a car, hahahahah, just kidding. Bye!

3/27/2006 9:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Final Results NCAA 2006:

1. Chris 220
2. Rich 190
3. Kathy 181
4. Cullen 167
5. Greg 165
6. “Dummy” 158
7. Kesi 153
8. Sam 138 :(
9. Jerry 130

3/27/2006 9:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt Becky-
I'm just fine! Mom took good care of me... Now, back to reality:(
Good seeing you and Uncle Kevin! Have a good break Sam!

Trish

3/27/2006 1:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beckaroni,

I know what flutter kicks are...it was Jeremy that didn't know. In fact, I did something similar to flutter kicks every night. I lay flat on my back with my hands on my lower back and raise my legs about 12 inches off the ground and move them between 12 and 24 inches without touching the floor, but my feet stay together. I did 6 sets of 25 of those and on the last rep of each set, I hold the position for about 30 seconds. I was doing these quite religiously until 2 weeks ago when I started doing push-ups every night instead.

Kevin,
Have fun with your brothers this weekend as Sue stays home and moves the entire family by herself. Picture Sue and Brianna trying to move a 64 inch television, a sectional, refrigerator, washer, dryer, computer desk and three beds (one king) all by themselves while Mike sits in Springfield drinking $8 beers laughing. I hope it's worth it!!! Just joking! Don't pick up any women leaning on lampposts!

Kesi

3/28/2006 9:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey all. I'm sure the Holbrook family has been enjoying Sam being home. What all have you been doing? It was nice seeing Aunt Becky and Uncle Kevin at the wedding. Wish the rest of the family could have made it to see my bouquet catching talent (I promise, there was no cheating this time!) I understand though, so I hope your break has been a good one.
About 30 school days left then its summer! I can't believe its almost Easter either, seems like it was just Christmas. Sam, do you get to go home for Easter?
Take care everyone!

Later, Tera

3/29/2006 8:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tera, been busy here with Sam home, late nights and still getting up early to go to work,UGH! We went to go watch him play indoor soccer with some guys last night, brought back good memories. The only reason I am on now is I took off at noon to meet Sam for lunch,his favorite spot here in town, Cheddars. Tera, I was at the reception but did not even know you caught the bouquet! I hope you wait a while to get married, I am going broke with shower gifts and wedding gifts! Everyone have a good weekend, I am going to have a lot of extra men around here this weekend, darn no shopping planned! Sam will not be here for Easter, won't see him 3 months after Sunday. Guess Easter Bunny will have to find him.

3/30/2006 2:08 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Rejoice for I have returned. It's late and I'm tired. I should be in bed. I'll talk to you all later about Spring Brizz-ake.

4/02/2006 11:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you would like to see a patriotic montage of images of the war in Iraq that you will not get to see on CNN, go ahead and click on my name above...

In other news, the cardinals are spanking the Phillies today.

Hooray.

4/03/2006 3:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy, I clicked on your name and watched the clip, very neat, thanks! Pretty quiet here now with Sam gone and all the brothers gone. We had a great week with Sam, and fun weekend with Mike, Joe and Dennis here. Anyone else want to come visit?

4/03/2006 5:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy, thanks for the video.
Awesome! Dave goes back to Iraq again in June. Wished this stupid was was over. I have never known the Middle East to have peace.

4/05/2006 10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home