Hey
So, I have about 3 weeks left in my first year at the Air Force Academy. Last June 30th, I couldn't even imagine that I'd be at this point in the year. It's crazy. But it's been good. There were ups and downs, but all of it was worth it I think. Oh well.
Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this summer. First, I should be getting to go over to Japan for three weeks to visit an Air Force base. That will be really awesome. Then I'll get to be home for nearly a month and during that time I'm going to blow so much stuff up at Lynn's it will be insane in the membrane. After that I get to jump out of airplanes for class credit. I think I'll be doing things a bit more interesting than my friends so finally for once people at normal college will be envying what I'm doing. Woohoo!
That's about this from this end. Wish me luck on the four papers, two presentations, and two projects that I need to have done by the end of the year! College...what can you?

81 Comments:
YEAH! I am the first to make a entry on Sam's new blog!! Do I win anything? Sam,forget your friends in regular college, I am jealous of you! How awesome to go to Japan, someplace I will never get to see with my own eyes, so you will have to take lots of pic's. Study hard on all your homework you mentioned, I don't envy you in this area. Talk to you soon. Love Mom
4/22/2006 3:25 PM
Things are looking up for you, Sam. I sent your latest quarter to your home. What fun to be able to go and see the world. Japan is just the first place I imagine you'll visit. Dave has enjoyed them all and being a history buff he makes sure he visits all the good sites. Of course in Iraq there is not much visiting there. He even got to see the Pope at the Vatican in Rome before he left Germany and he visited many castles in Germany. ( Bec and I need a spell check on here ) I sent Mom and article from the Herald Whig about a young man coming to the Academy this coming year. He didn't even know he got it until a friend call and told him. Crazy! Maybe by chance you'll get to know him & mess up his room or challenge him to a milk contest. ( ugh ) I know worry about your home work as it seems a breeze to you. You must of gotten your brains from me. lol Just kidding! Has to be your dad! Hang in there! Love you, Grandma D
4/23/2006 10:43 AM
That's funny, even Grandma D says Sam gets his brains from Dad...
4/23/2006 3:16 PM
He do. He do. Or from his Grandma's Darlene and Teresa.
4/24/2006 9:40 AM
Sounds fun, Mr. Sam. I hope you get to spend many fun evenings in Japan, homeland of my foreigner-uncle Kevin.
I just spent a couple days in Seattle. I love traveling to new places. I'm a bit jealous, Mr. Sam.
Anywho. Off to get my post-court coffee.
4/24/2006 10:16 AM
Hey Sam! Only three weeks left?!! Man, time flies!!! And your dad said you wouldn't make it 2 weeks! However, he was speaking Japanese at the time so maybe I misunderstood him. Congrats Sam! You have a big accomplishment under your belt. We in Quincy can't wait to see you when youcome back. Lynn has a devil dog that we a just waiting for you to come back and try some explosives on. Hey, has anyone heard from the California vacationers? I'm going to bed...getting three cavaties filled at the dentist tomorrow. Yee Haa!!!
4/24/2006 8:39 PM
Hi Jill, yes,Sarah called me last night,her and Tom had just spent 7 hours walking and sightseeing,she was soaking her feet! The weather is ok there, a bit cool, but at least it is not raining on them. Can you believe how cool it has gotten here?? brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, might have to turn the heat back on tonight! Hi Sam!
4/25/2006 5:28 PM
Is anybody looking for a 40K/yr secretarial position? USD has a few. Do you want to live in Vermillion? I didn't think so.
Jeremy has a new compooter with wireless interweb! (;> He's not a "dude", "cow", nor "macman." He is "small"
4/26/2006 8:54 AM
When I go to Jap-land I'm going to get a compooter that makes me sandwiches and stuff.
4/26/2006 9:30 AM
Like Star Trek
4/26/2006 10:05 AM
Sam,
If I were you, I'd buy a robot and one of those outbreak monkeys. Do they have oubreak monkeys? If they don't, I bet you could always buy a mogwai or something.
Hi Chis. Does this Vermillion place you speak of have indoor plumbing? I'd take one of those secretarial positions. I'd secretary the hell out of that city.
Yes I have a new work laptop. That means when I go to this hipster wireless cafe in my hood, I can hit Sammy's blog in the evenings...
Free pizza in our conference room.... gotta go.
4/26/2006 10:48 AM
We have a Wal-Mart.
4/26/2006 12:03 PM
Yep, I think I'll stay in Chicago. Though there is no Walmart in the city limits, to my knowledge...
4/26/2006 12:17 PM
Chris would have added that the Vermillion Wal-Mart is also outside of the city limits.
4/26/2006 12:27 PM
but I wish I had a walmart instead of a big K-Mart.
-jeremy
4/26/2006 1:29 PM
if Chris would have known what Jeremy was going to have said...
I pushed the limits of the blog and have gone beyond. Join me brother. Heed my warning: thou had sayeth "said."
4/26/2006 2:08 PM
so don't even worry about it. I figured you just broke the blog.
By the way, I submit that "blog" is the worst new word of our generation.
I need a banana.
4/26/2006 3:36 PM
We can shun this new "word" by using the correct "web log" in its place. :-= www.jermstheworm.weblog.com
How aboot that, eh?
4/26/2006 3:49 PM
Good morning web log users.
Chris
4/27/2006 7:13 AM
I'm still confused...
4/27/2006 7:17 AM
poor Jilly-pilly.
We just having fun with the name thingy on this web log.
Anyone care that Barry Bonds hit number 711 last night?
How many will he end up with at year end?
Dude can't even bend down to pick up the ball anymore.
4/27/2006 8:26 AM
Bonds is 4 homers away from retirement. He hates Ruth (714); and surpassing him is all Bonds cares aboot.
4/27/2006 9:11 AM
Barry Bonds likes no one but himself and family. He hated Mark McQuire and the way the St. Louis people greeted MacQuire ( one of these spelling has to be right, right? ) I said what you all have said, I have said a lot.
4/27/2006 9:56 AM
M c G w i r e
4/27/2006 9:59 AM
here first... Barry will get to about 720, I bet.
I think he'll screw up his knees and require surgery again. Ending the season. Then we'll have to listen to the Will He Return In 2007 stories over the winter.
That's my guess.
I also think he's going to be nailed on perjury charges. That'd be cool.
4/27/2006 11:13 AM
Happy Weekend ever'body!
4/28/2006 3:00 PM
What does ever'one have planned? I get to march a long time in the dark and then stand around for about 5 hours. Woohoo! You better watch out terrorits!
4/28/2006 3:02 PM
Hey Sam,
Congrats on going to Japan, buy me something Japanese...like electronics...or a Kimono...or squinty eyes. Have fun standing around this weekend, you aren't missing much here. The only thing exciting in Springfield is that it is actually raining, we are suppose to get 3 inches by Sunday. Went with mom to McCallister's for lunch...mmm...yum. Love ya, Rach
4/28/2006 4:13 PM
Hey Sammy! Sounds like u have a lot of fun ahead of u!! Study,study,study!! I would love to jump out of a plane! Yeah right!!! All of this is well worth the journey. Just remember how pround Grandpa is of you!!
4/29/2006 7:22 AM
Welcome back home Sarah and Tom, and Congrulations!! Dad and I are very happy for both of you. Sam,when would the best time next summer be for you to come back for the wedding? Maybe August? before school starts? Also, want to welcome to new members to the Marcks family, Alleigh Blickan, new baby daugher of Nick and Cheyenne Blickhan, and Isabela, baby daughter to Duane & Adriane (Blickhan) Jones, congraulations to all of you!
4/30/2006 10:26 AM
I am totally jealous of all this excitement! Babys and weddings and trips to foreign countries and California...All I'm doing this year is going to craft shows in places like Arkansas...somehow it just isn't as exciting...although I will be able to walk around barefoot in Arkansas...thats a bonus right?
Rach
4/30/2006 3:41 PM
Congratulations, Tom
Where will the wedding take place?
5/01/2006 7:46 AM
Congratulations to Tom and Sarah!
5/01/2006 9:29 AM
What excitement in this family right now. Weddings, babies, foreign trips. Congratulation to Tom and Sarah. Tom welcome to the crazy Marcks family. And I have two new beautiful great granddaughters now to add to the other one of 3 years old. Sam, have a great time in Japan. If you see anyone looking like your grandpa Marcks, ask questions. He did his R & R there when he was in Korea. I have a picture of him and this one broad, opps, woman, sitting on his lap. I use it for blackmail. lol Have a great week you working people. Just think in 5 days it's the week end again!
5/01/2006 10:09 AM
Mega Dittos to Sarah and Tom!!! We are all very, very happy for you!! Welcome to the family Tom! I am THRILLED you are having the wedding in Springfield........Quincy is soooo boring. That will be one fun time. Yee Ha!!!!! Spooge.
PS Granda D, congrats on the addition of your two new granddaughters, too!
5/01/2006 5:47 PM
Hey Chris, what's the big idea, buddy??? Aren't you happy for Sarah too, or was is that a warning? J/K.
5/01/2006 5:58 PM
Ok everyone, I started taking a step class with Rach on Monday and Wednesday nights, not only do I feel like a dufus but tonight I actually fell off the step!! Geez! was my face ever red! Then earlier today at 4:30pm I had gotten a mystic tan, not supposed to get wet for 4 hours, well half way though the class Rach came up to me and said "mom, why is your sweat brown?"! OH MY GOSH! I was getting wet and my tan was running! Don't think I have the nerve now to return to the class!!
5/01/2006 8:22 PM
Mom, I think I'm the only one that saw your brown sweat...probably a couple of us saw you fall of the step, but I swear it happens more often then you think...no one will even remember it next time we go! Love Rach
5/01/2006 8:52 PM
Tom,
I don't congratulate brides or "brides-to-be."
Best wishes Sarah.
5/01/2006 9:44 PM
Becky, Becky, Peg called me and told me about your "tan". You know the one you said I shoudln't get because of my "age". I laugh and laugh. I need that at that time as I had just talked to Terry about Isabelle. You go girl, with your sweating tans and steps. Sorry, Sam. Hi Grandma D
5/01/2006 11:19 PM
Sam, I think we need a new comment from you when you get the time. Things are ok back here. Babies ae doing better. One is still no bigger than a minute and the other one is showing these drs. they don't know what they are talking about. I will soon lose my position of being Aunt Deb's caretaker. I'm ready for that one! But she'll be taking her car back also. Take care. This year went fast, didn't it? Or it seems that way to me.
5/04/2006 9:42 AM
Hey Grandma D....just wanted to let you know the Holbook family is praying for those granddaughters of yours!!
5/04/2006 10:59 AM
Thank you so much, Jill. We need them, although both are coming along ok at this time. Alleighn is up to 2.8# now and gets out of her incabator every so often. Still can't breath on her own yet. She is in Childrens @ St. Louis. Isabelle should be able to go home tomorrow. She'll have a team of doctors she'll have to see now and then, although so far what they say about her has been wrong. She is really a sweet heart. Can't wait to hold both of them. Alan and Terry has really been traveling back and forth here lately from St. Louis to Springfield. Terry is going to make a wonderful grandmother. Thanks again, Jill for your prayers and for asking. Darlene
5/04/2006 2:19 PM
So this week flew by.
What the heck? My big plans for the weekend include: (1)cleaning the apartment; (2) watching a motion picture; (3) playing softball; (4)doing a bit of work; (5) playing x-box; (6) doing a load of whites.
Anybody out there having a more interesting weekend? I could use the inspiration.
5/05/2006 10:06 AM
Sorry. I can't help ya there! My weekends aren't too exciting. I'll probably just be sleeping and eating, so it won't be bad, just not that exciting.
5/05/2006 10:08 AM
Sam, your weekend plans read like the first two rules of basic survival.
Remember Maslow's hierarchy of needs?
Your weekend covers the very bottom layer.
:)
5/05/2006 10:19 AM
Softball, softball, softball!
Finally its that time of year.
We play double-headers here (Vermillion) like you Chicagoans; but our league starts May 15th. That's pretty late.
5/05/2006 10:27 AM
Thank for the link Deano!
May 15? You guys better hope it never rains.
What movie should I watch this weekend, my peoples???
5/05/2006 11:39 AM
Personally, I think Silence of the Lambs would be the most appropriate movie to watch this weekend. Speaking of softball, Bryson started baseball this week, first time ever. Let me tell you, it was a comedy of errors. Every ball that came any where near him, and I do mean NEAR him went right on by. Once a ball flew up by him, he had his glove on, yet tried to catch it with the ungloved hand. It was quite the comedy of errors. He did, however, hit his butt off. One day he will play for the Bears!!!!!!
Oh, my weekend will be filled with the Dogwood parade and baking dog cookies.
5/05/2006 2:25 PM
Come on people, its Cinco de Mayo day! Isn't anyone going out for Mexican tonight?? My favorite,hmmmm. Oh and Sarah is getting her little baby girl puppy tonight! Saturday night we are going to a dinner/dance fundraiser thingy, Sunday taking it easy, car shopping maybe? Enjoy your weekend everyone, Sam give your mom and dad a call.
5/05/2006 2:28 PM
Jill, that's as cute as can be. Please tell your son, "Derek", that his cousin, Jeremy, is proud of him.
Beck,
Astute observation re: cinco of May. In fact, one of the associates brought a blender and is going to make a bunch of margaritis tonight. So that'll be fun :)
5/05/2006 2:43 PM
I wanna get drunk.
Damn all those "laws" and Air Force "regulations." No one needs that crap.
5/05/2006 3:26 PM
Sam... you are a HOLBROOK!! You can do anything you want to do, anytime you want to do it. Don't let those "in charge" tell you what to do! I say sneak out of the Academy and get drunk tonight! What can they do, kick you out?? I don't think so!! Show them who is in charge.
Hey Jerm......enjoy those drinky-poos!
Sarah... send photos of the new addition!
Sam...start writing. We miss you.
PS to those who care....the Herald-Whig is doing an article on me and Lynn's business! Yee Haa!!
5/05/2006 6:11 PM
JILL!! We may have to get Sam a new God Mother!! Telling him to sneak out and get drunk!! Jill!!
And Sam, don't you dare listen to her, I am your mother and you stay put!!
5/05/2006 6:50 PM
Oh where, Oh where are you, our Sam? Are you still nursing that weekend hangover? Ha Ha Ha HA HA HA!!!!!! Sorry, Becs.
5/09/2006 5:59 AM
Hey Jill. Sorry I haven't written. I know your day hinges on whether or not you get to hear what I had for breakfast (yogurt and Life) or how classes went (I learned about my "Love Language.").
I'll write a new blog in a day or two, in between games of Counter-Strike and sand volleyball, oh and being in the military.
5/09/2006 9:58 AM
Sam,
when you are too busy to write, or just have nothing to comment on, you should commission someone to be a guest blogger. that'd be funny. I'd love to see an entry from yo' crazy father or insane aunt jillian.
It be like when Leno would fill in for Carson.
5/09/2006 10:45 AM
I burned my first DVD last night.
TIP LEARNED: Hit the burn button before going to sleep.
It took HOURS not minutes to complete a project with 1hr 45min of footage.
Wow
But it turned out nicely.
5/09/2006 3:18 PM
That is a great idea Chris. I have to talk to Aunt Jill and see if she'll do it. But I'll probably have to censor a lot of it for vulgarities and what not.
5/09/2006 3:55 PM
I've found the best FM radio station in the universe.
Bob FM 102.3, Sioux City, IA
Excerpt:
One man, one station, thousands of songs to choose from. A recipe for chaos? Or pure unadulterated musical bliss? On BOB's station BOB plays everything from the 60's right up to today. Lots of great songs all mixed together to form a premium blend of unique radio. BOB is ready for more. How about you? At 102.3 BOB plays anything.
5/09/2006 4:16 PM
Sam,
Never mind my last "DVD" post. The initial burn was long; but subsequent burns only took 25-45 minutes. Pretty sweet for a 2hr movie.
Does your laptop support DVD burning?
5/10/2006 8:51 AM
Yep, my laptop burns DVDs. I haven't done it, but there are other guys in my squad who have and we all have the same computer. That's pretty quick to burn a 2 hour movie. I remember when we first got out CD burner back home and it took that long to burn a music CD. How times have changed!
5/10/2006 9:30 AM
Yes,
It only takes a few minutes to burn a CD on my PowerBook.
The iMovie HD and iDVD applications I used for my project were great. I used iMovie to edit the footage and extract good audio from dizzying video, then set my chapters. Then I exported the project to iDVD where I created the layout of the title/scene selection screens and the BURN.
Easy but huge. I used over 30GB of space for the project.
5/10/2006 9:42 AM
That's pretty sweet. I've heard that Macs are really good for audio/video stuff. Did all that video stuff come with you computer or did you have to buy it?
5/10/2006 9:44 AM
My Comodore 64 has Pong. Does your Mac have Pong?
I didn't think so.
5/10/2006 9:50 AM
They came with the Mac. They are part of the iLife bundle which includes Garageband, iWeb, and iPhoto. Jared would love that application.
Have you seen the new Mac commercials making fun of PCs? You can see them at Apple's website.
5/10/2006 9:54 AM
Jeremy,
I have pong, Mac style.
...and breakout!
5/10/2006 9:56 AM
I thought Jeremy had it with the Pong, but then Chris shot back with Pong AND Breakout. But I have Minesweeper, so I win.
I've seem the Mac commercials. They're pretty funny. I saw this one video where Microsoft re-did the iPod. It was pretty funny.
5/10/2006 9:58 AM
Mac has Minesweeper and some other minesweeper on steriods.
What was the spoof on remaking the iPod?
5/10/2006 10:16 AM
It started out with just the iPod box and then showed all the stuff Microsoft would do to the packaging and what not to make it worse and something no one would want. The video is on "www.wimp.com" but the Academy blocked the site from us because we liked it.
5/10/2006 10:18 AM
There may be another reason why the academy blocked this site.
I couldn't access the webpage; and it locked up my browser! I had to restart Explorer.
5/10/2006 10:33 AM
That's weird. That's never happened to me. But it's a good site. It pretty much got me through first semester, but if that site didn't exist, I probably could have gotten straight A's.
5/10/2006 10:45 AM
I'll try again...
5/10/2006 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXAcwriid0
Here's the video. It's on "youtube.com"
5/10/2006 10:46 AM
Yep... All locked up
5/10/2006 10:48 AM
That sucks. Did you try the other site?
5/10/2006 10:49 AM
That was freakn' hysterical!
5/10/2006 10:54 AM
Have you seen this one.
5/10/2006 10:56 AM
I thought it was pretty funny too. Damn that Microsoft.
5/10/2006 10:58 AM
I swear I think that Microsoft Ipod video came directly from the marketing department. How funny. Oh, and I like the little handicapped icon near the word verification. If I ever mess up on typing the letters, it will make me feel like I might have a more serious problem on my hands.
5/11/2006 9:25 AM
Are we trying for 100 hits on this blog? Have a great week end everyone. And don't forget your Mother's Sunday. Oh yes, I went to that web site you all mention. Probably my age but I thought it was stupid. Crap happens!
5/12/2006 7:45 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home