Spring Break
Hey everyone. I have a 200 point test in History tomorrow that is worth a significant part of my grade. So I'll be studying hard tonight. And by "studying" I mean watching "The O.C." Oh, and writing this. College is sweet!
Anyway, my Spring Break ended on Sunday, so of course, Sunday sucked. But I had a lot of fun back home. I visited a lot of friends, played in a couple soccer games, and smoked it up with the uncles. The week actually seemed to last fairly long so that was cool. Oh, and I ate a lot too. I think I gained about 5 pounds, mostly in sushi form. By the way, sushi is awesome. Sushi's probably the best thing to every come out of Japan, besides my dad and radiation. Hahaha. Sorry. You can't talk about Japan and not throw in a nuke joke. C'mon. It's funny and if you don't like it you can git out.
Speaking of Japan, those Japanese are pretty crazy. I'm guessing it's all the sake and having to wear wooden shoes. Sumu wrestling is pretty much awesome through. I wish I could train for a sport by eating until I weighed 900 pounds. "Holbrook, have you done your training for today?" "Yes, sir. I just got done with my 30 pound tub of lard." "Keep up the good work. Oh, did you get the Rascal Motor Scooter I ordered? I don't want you working off too many calories walking the fridge." I think that's something I could excel at. Have you ever met a Japanese-Hawaiian? Neither have I, but wouldn't that be ironic? It's kind of like a black KKK member or serving 10 hot dogs and only having 8 buns. But I digress.
Spring Break was pretty good overall. Coming back to the Academy was not pretty good at all though. My first flight got delayed, which made me miss my flight back to the Springs. So I ended up sitting in Dallas/Fort Worth for about 5 hours until I could get on a flight. I had a book so it wasn't that bad. DFW is a good airport to be stuck at I guess. It's pretty new and nice, with lots of food and junk. Plus I was in civvies which is nice too.
I guess I'll talk to you later. Mom and Dad are going to some horse races in Arkansas this weekend. I wonder what the horse's names will be. "My wife and sister are the same person" or maybe "Kissin' Cousins." I think "No Teeth No Hygiene No Problem" will do well. "Krazy Krazy Karl" has a decent shot too, although over coming the favorite "White Trash Willie" will be a challenge for him.
Talk to you later, or as the say in Mexico "I'm illegal but I want money from the US government as well as free education."

62 Comments:
Sam you watch The OC too? Thats cool, so what happened this week? I missed it because I went to an improv show here on campus..it wasn't as good as Whose Line, but pretty close! Glad to hear you had a good spring break. Before ya know it you'll get your summer break. I've always wanted to go to a horse race, just to say I went. Uncle Kevin or Aunt Becky you will have to let me know how it went. Starting to storm here now (what's new!) so guess I better play it safe and turn this computer off for the night. Later all!
Tera
4/06/2006 9:09 PM
Sam, glad to hear you had a good time at home. But the sushi thing? YUCK! Never happen with this gal. Would love going to the races like your dad and mom are going. Of course, you may not know it, but your grandma loves to gamble. And her without a dime! Mom said you wouldn't be home for 3 months now. Right? As Tera says, it is stormy here all the time anymore. But I refuse to go to the basement anymore for these tornados. By the time I get down the steps the all clear has sounded. Jeeze! Take care Sam. Love you, Grandma D
4/07/2006 9:21 AM
Hi Sam,
Glad to hear you had a good time on break. Sushi would kill me because I'm allergic to fish, as many of you know. But I like sushi joints because they usually have interesting ways of preparing a steak or ribs.
Alright all. I better get some work accomplished. I'm taking the train to Q-town tonight to see the new house and play some ping-pong...
4/07/2006 12:33 PM
Hey Sam,
How are you doing? We have missed you back here in Springfield this week...I only went out to lunch twice! Do you know what you are doing for easter? Mom and dad invited some RCIA people to have Easter dinner with us...mmmm...could go either way with that one, wish you could be with us on sunday!
Jeremy, did you have a good time in Quincy over the weekend? How was the new house? Hope you had a good trip. We had visitors over all weekend and had a great time drinking beer and wine and eating a lot. What could be better?
Everyone have a good weekend! Love Rach
4/10/2006 4:44 PM
Hi All, Rach failed to mention that she took advantage of us not being home and used our basement & beer for their tv enjoyment! No problem Rach, thanks for watching Kelly. The horse races were awesome site to see,and the margritas were pretty good too! We came home with less money, Oh well, we had a great time and will go back next year, and Sam, there were no horse's by the names you mentioned, although I think there was a Samso? and A It's no Joke", I put money on him, but he didn't show. Oh and to my great surprise when I got home, there was this beatuiful bouquet of flowers sent to me from Mike,Joe and Dennis, how thoughtfull of them, thanks guys, I love them!
4/10/2006 5:37 PM
My trip back was fantastic. Played a lot of ping-pong into the wee hours of the night. I couldn't help with the moving much, on account of a muscle spasm/rib/cervical spine thing that happened a week ago and left me immobilized. I felt pretty stupid. Anyway, the house is great. I really love every bit of it. The parents made a good decision here...
Alright. I need more coffee.
4/11/2006 9:27 AM
I miss coffee ...and cigars. I can't wait for a new box of Acid Blondies. Choice!
4/11/2006 10:17 AM
Hey Sam! Long time, no talk! Hows everything in Colorado...studying hard? We will miss you on Easter! This will be your first holiday away, right? I know you were home for Christmas, but you were there for Thanksgiving too, right? What will they do for you? Easter eggs hunts? Wish you were here. Hey Jeremy, where are the orders????!!
Puppy update...Rufus is up to about 46 pounds.
4/12/2006 6:52 AM
Dear Jilly,
It was great to see you this past weekend, by the way. As for the pupster treats, my dog lovin' partners have been out of the office so far this week. I'll attack them with doggy menus when they return.
jerms
4/12/2006 9:41 AM
Jill, you have doggie menus? Send one out to springfield! Rach
4/12/2006 8:37 PM
Rachey! Good to hear from you! Yes, we have fliers (flyers?) with our goodies...we will send you one. I will get right on that. Hey, have a great Easter at Kev and Bec's, we wil miss all of the Holbrook's who are unable to make it back to Q city. We are having it at Lynn and Rod's house so that Grandma doesn't lose any more hair!
4/13/2006 7:45 AM
Oh, that Granny. I wish I could be back home for Easter. Too bad.
4/13/2006 7:46 AM
Anyone interested in living in the United Socialist Counties of Massachusetts. Get yer Canadian (no)healthcare in MA! The bill was signed by a Republican presidential hopeful, proving there is little difference between the two parties.
4/13/2006 10:16 AM
Woohoo!
4/13/2006 10:17 AM
I'm moving to MA so I can be a hippy and not do anything and still get taken care of.
4/13/2006 10:17 AM
No.
Sam, the bill requires the PURCHASE OF or ENROLLMENT IN health insurance by all Massachusettsans.
The USCM.
4/13/2006 12:19 PM
My bad. I really need to learn to read. It's hard in college if you can't.
4/13/2006 3:58 PM
HAPPY EASTER, SAM! Hope you don't have a problem finding your baskets this year. We will be at Aunt Terry's this year. Seems she is the only one who has a large enough house for us all. Love you,
Grandma D
PS: HAPPY EASTER TO ALL THE OTHER SPRINGFIELD HOLBROOKS! AND THE QUINCY ONES.
4/14/2006 8:50 AM
Chris,
I like that Lew Rockwell's only reason for saying that smoking is not addictive is that "addiction is incompatible with free will."
It's tempting to ponder the logical falacy of Mr. Rockwell's statement...
Sleep walking is incompatible with free will; hence, sleep walking has never happened.
Interrogating terrorist and criminals to obtain info they are hiding is impossible because it is incompatible with free will. Therefore, it is pointless to interrogate.
Addiction exists. Some people are addicted to smoking (ask anyone who has tried to quit). We should protect ourselves from paying for a nationful of lung cancer patients by preventing tobacco companies from marketing and selling an addictive drug to children.
Please read the link in my name and lemme know what you think:
"It is unwise and unnecessary to deny the reality of people's experience." <-- that's the problem with the libertarian viewpoint on addiction... it offers nothing in the way of nomenclature or treatment to deal with the practical life or death consequences of drug abuse.
4/14/2006 10:40 AM
There are just as many former smokers as there are smokers. Can I ask one of them if smoking is addictive? (Smoking) Addiction implies one has not the ability to keep from putting the cigarette to his mouth. This notion IS incompatible with free will. A cognitive choice has to be made to raise one's hand. People smoke because they like it.
Your examples are nowhere near Kisella's statement.
There is no cognitive choice to sleepwalk. There is when purchasing a pack of Marlboros. No logical relevance. Remember, he did not say that heavy smokers "don't exist" vis-a-vis your example.
(I don't know if I understand the interrogation one.)
Taxes paying for the care of lung cancer patients is a problem of socialsm and statism. Contracts with insurance companies (and savings accounts) pay for lung cancer patients in the free market.
As far as children are concerned, where are the parents? The Libertarian view is constantly misrepresented. It does not endorse the perpetuation of child smoking. It says the parents are the guardians not the state. As a concerned parent I will not allow my children to smoke. As a "libertarian" I say its my problem not my neighbor's, and sure the hell not a congressman's.
The article: (At least he doesn't try to push the biological theory)
Just because one does not "control" his behavior does not mean he can't.
Libertarianism does have solutions to drug "abuse." Most people don't like them because they revolve around the free market and liberty. The statist solution stems from the Puritanical notion of pushing one's morality or ethics on others. Libertarians don't say: "Close all treatment facilities". There is nothing implicit in the libertarian view that dismisses weaker individuals who require help. I support anyone trying to help another. However, telling someone that they are addicted and cannot control themselves is a mendacity and contrary to free will.
I will now have my 15th straight grape.
mmm 16th
Good Friday
4/14/2006 12:31 PM
Sam, is Rachel's link down? It's not working on my end.
4/14/2006 12:43 PM
See. There's the problem. Nobody is saying addiction means an inability to choose to stop doing something. There's always the choice. It's just difficult for people addicted to, say Heroine or nicotine, to stop. To paraphrase the article, "What do Libertarians call this phenomenon?" What do they call it when Jim Morrison drinks himself to death?
People interested in providing treatment options to these people call it addiction. We give things names so we can refer to them. In this case, drinking, smoking, gambling... to the point of self-destruction is referred to as addiction.
Also, my examples are dead on with respect to Kisella's statement in that they illustrate that you can't say a phenomenon does not exist because it's contrary to free will. Sleepwalking, giving up information to an interrogator, and addictive behavior: these are all examples of things people may not want to do, if you ask them, but other factors influence them to do so despite their free will.
Kisella says, because he's making a choice to smoke, he also has the ability and free will to not smoke. That's the non-nuanced, black-and-white view of the world I can't accept because it flies in the face of common sense and experience. There are other factors that influence the decision. Kisella ignores those factors, and this represents a misunderstanding of addiction as a coping mechanism and of reality, doesn't it? Doesn't Kisella ignore that the choice to quit is difficult for people who "rely" on the addiction to cope with XYZ? What does he call that difficulty or phenomenon?
4/14/2006 1:18 PM
Kinsella did not imply that destructive behavior does not exist because... "free will". If he had said this, your sleepwalking example would hold. The problem is in the definition of "addiction."
I don't deny the difficulty in stopping a habit. If habit = addiction, then I agree with you. But "addiction" IS promulgated as a condition uncontrollable by its "victim." Today, "addiction" is automatically qualified with "uncontrollable." Kinsella's statement holds because of this qualifier.
Why is Jim Morrison a victim of "addiction" and not a reckless individual who enjoyed the high of his lifestyle and paid for it.
Habit forming activities are not dismissed by libertarians. I don't deny them. But if you agree that individuals have the "choice", why perpetuate the "addiction" definition that takes this away. That's Kinsella's beef, not that the temptation to continue distructive behavior doesn't exist.
4/14/2006 2:51 PM
"But if you agree that individuals have the "choice", why perpetuate the "addiction" definition that takes this away?"
I'm not. There's always a choice. But one needs to understand addiction to understand the choice. My understanding of addiction is that it's generally a coping mechanism. Take away the addiction, you remove the ability to cope with XYZ, unless the person is rehabilitated somehow (treatment or by himself) to use more healthy coping mechanisms.
Kinsella, I think, has used a definition of "Addiction" used by the most liberal of thinkers and is using that to make an argument. Kinsella's is a strawman argument. Let's substitute my definition, which acknowledges the addict has free will to choose, but which also recognizes that the choice is DIFFICULT for the addict who relies on the self-destruction for certain immediate benefits.
Plug that definition into his essay and much of his essay goes down the crapper.
Why allow kids to smoke if it will be difficult for them to quit? I can't think of many good reasons.
Should the government prevent companies from marketing to children? I'm not sure. Seems like a good idea to protect children from that.
Summary:
Kinsella seems to be saying we should let kids smoke if they want to because there's no such thing as addiction, and they can just quit when they are old enough to know better. Kinsella's thesis is wrong because he substitutes a strawman for a more accurate, reality-based definition of "addiction." His definition does not acknowledge the difficulty of quitting an addiction. This ignores EONS of data showing that people engage in self-destructive addictive behavior, despite knowing they should quit.
4/14/2006 3:26 PM
when did this blog site become so damned political?? What ever happened to the funny comments?? Let's bring those back, shall we?? I heard a really good one the other day, oh wait, better not post that one.
4/14/2006 3:35 PM
Yeah, this is all really heavy, it made my brain go into "fuzzy" mode...by the way, My name is Rachel and I am addicted to Dr. Pepper. Or is it a habit??? The world may never know...
4/14/2006 4:02 PM
Sam has left the building! Sam has the weekend off and is spending it with is Sponsor. Happy Easter Sam if you see this. It is 5:23am on Saturday morning, UGH! Rach will be picking me up at 5:45am to head to Jasper MO., where she is doing a Craft Show, what us mothers will do for our kids!! Happy Easter to all, and Sarah, where are you going again? hahahahah, just kidding, I know you are excited about your trip!
4/15/2006 4:27 AM
Going through the accounting dept. mail this morning, I came to a flyer that said: "How much is your PMS costing your business?" It was an advertisement for a Practice Management System.
4/17/2006 10:30 AM
At first I was going to say a lot, but then I read the rest...so the answer is very little
4/17/2006 12:23 PM
Hi I'm Jeremy, and you might as well a'face it, I'm addicted to love.
Dang Sarah! Are you the first family member whose life has been threatened? I think you win some door prize.
By the way, I was at a dinner party last night and we had the most fun ever reading through a book called The Book of Horrible Questions. It's often vulgar but really hilarious. Essentially you read a question like, "Would you eat a human foot do $100,000?" Everyone answers. Then they double the reward and make the task twice as disgusting or painful. It's a hilarious exercise. I need to buy this book (my name above links to the Amazon page for it).
4/17/2006 12:50 PM
Yes, I would eat a human foot for $100,000. I think I'd eat my own foot for a million though.
4/17/2006 12:51 PM
Yeah. I found that I was willing to endure quite a bit more than others for money. I guess that's an accurate reflection of my considerable debt load...
[Sorry about my link to the book not working above...]
4/17/2006 1:06 PM
I think I would do a lot of stuff for money. Not, "Hey, here's $10 bucks. Hit yourself in the face with this chainsaw." But I'd eat a foot.
4/17/2006 1:08 PM
Is this a right-out-of-the-sock foot or deep fried? I need more info.
4/17/2006 1:48 PM
Yuck, Yuck, Yuck! Your all discusting! Especailly on the news about the little 10 yr. old girl and what her abducter had planned to do with her! Just awful.
4/17/2006 4:05 PM
Chris.....you are a riot! We missed you all at Lynn's for esater! There were 6, I repeat 6, dogs running around! Speaking of eating, we threatened to eat Lynn 's Lanie because she looks like weiner dog! Ha Ha Ha Ha
4/17/2006 4:38 PM
Jill, Didn't you miss me? After all, I am the center of attention epecially when I get locked in the bathrooms!
4/18/2006 7:33 PM
Next time there is a family function, I'm bringing my dog! Even if Rufus tried to eat him :)
Rach
4/19/2006 7:42 AM
Hey rach and becs! So god to hear from you! My e mail is acting up so I will pretend this is my e mail. Rachel.....the lady to contact for the Service league gift show is Amy Herkert area code 217 (in case you Missourians forgot) 223-2736. I have not called yet, but I need to soon! Also, Rufie will not eat Harley, but he will probably try to hump him. Let me know if you got this note Rachel, otherwise I will call you. We did mis you becs! We did not have to tear any doors down this time, but there is always Memorial Day or the 4th!! he He He Sam, thanks for letting me use your blog to communicate. By the way, where are you?????? Toodles! It's nap time!!!
4/19/2006 12:36 PM
Anything going in in Quincy the weekend before July 4th??? I'm coming home that weekend and am wondering what the fam will be up to...
4/19/2006 1:01 PM
Jerms,
Chris and I will be in town that weekend as well. We are actually going to be in Chicago on June 29 & 30 and driving to Quincy on July 1 and leaving Quincy on July 5. Hopefully Lynn & Rod will have a 4th of July party that weekend and we can celebrate Memnet's 50th and Chris' 30th b-days.
Pants
4/19/2006 2:03 PM
Chirp! I am sure the O'hara's will have their usual 4th of July party. Lots of fun, booze, food, fireworks, and the removing of doors to let becaroni out of the john. Good times!!!!!!!
4/19/2006 2:33 PM
There better be SOMETHING going on July 4th in old Q-City. I'll actually be able to be there for it this year, plus I really want to blow some stuff up. You'd be surprised how little I actually do get to blow up at the Air Force Academy...it's a travesty.
4/19/2006 3:26 PM
I'm officially out of the fireworks war this year. I'm going to be the brave soul to say that the arms race has been escalating into much, much too powerful artillery. Bottle rockets have turned into junky ones you use while you get your Super Bomb loaded.
I need these beautiful baby blue eyes.
And 2 years in a row I left with a giant roman candle welt on my back. Thanks, HolbDaddy. :)
I boycott based on proliferation of Fireworks Of Mass Destruction.
You will find me sittin' on the deck having drinks with the ladies.
4/19/2006 3:56 PM
It's official!! The annual 4th of July party at the O'Hair's will be taking place, however I do not know the exact date. They usually have it on a different night so that people can enjoy the riverfront 4th fireworks. If you out-of-towners (this being the vermillionites, the Springfielders, Chi-town man, and the Coloradoininan Academy Android) please let me know exactley when you will be home so that they can plan the party around you all. Bring your own fireworks and lots of them so we can pummel the drinky-poos out of Vern's hands.
4/19/2006 4:41 PM
Jill,
Thanks for the info on the craft show, I will call tomorrow! I know mom and dad are planning on being in Quincy the saturday and sunday before the 4th. Will they be spending the night sunday? I don't know, so a sat. party might be good for those of us in 417-Land! Thanks, Rach
4/19/2006 4:53 PM
Vermillionite dittos to Rachel's Sat idea. Kesi and I will be leaving Chicago Saturday morning after Lindstrom's Friday wedding. If JermsTheWorm wants to cancel his tickets and ride with us, ATB$.
4/20/2006 6:19 AM
The party time doesn't really matter to me. I'll be with Mom and Dad, so whenever they go, I'll be there.
There MUST be a firework war. Now's a perfect opportunity for me to practice all the strategic bombing and junk that I've had to learn this past year.
And Jeremy, I don't think it has escalated too much. In fact, I think it should escalate more. When we start setting up those huge Black Cat firecrackers/small bombs under each other, than maybe we should hold back, but not until then.
4/20/2006 6:28 AM
I vote for the 4th of July party to be on the Saturday before,and Sam, I am pretty sure you are not allowed to do anything that could cause injury to yourself, so you better boycot the fireworks war too. Jeremy, we will love to have you sit with us ladies, maybe you can make me one of your famous martini's! Oh and we just got news that Sam will be in Japan for his first 3 weeks of summer break,so much for driving to see him during this time!Sam is going to look up some of his dad's family, heheheheh
4/20/2006 3:50 PM
I MIGHT be going to Japan for three weeks. Nothing is set in stone yet.
Oh, and I'll be as dangerous as I want to be Mom. I'm like Maverick, but I don't play volleyball with my shirt off.
4/20/2006 3:58 PM
I'm on....I'm on!!! Dog treats for everyone!!!
4/21/2006 6:45 AM
Lynn and sooo proud of you! After almost one year you have finally figured out how to get on Sammy's blog!! There is a God!! Rock on!
4/21/2006 6:47 AM
Oh.... Didn't I tell anyone??? Rod and I will be out of town that weekend..Some sort of Nascar race going on. Ouch!!! so sorry for everyone.
4/21/2006 7:22 AM
That sucks chicken guts.
Have fun with Bobby Labonte and Jeff Gordon.
4/21/2006 8:24 AM
Lynn is full of poo poo....there WILL be 4th of July festivities goin on at her home that weekend, as well as the usual Halloween party, too.
4/21/2006 8:46 AM
Sam, if you go to Japan this summer, what base would you be on. Dave was station there for 4 yrs. Yoyosomething or other. Kala was born there. And she doesn't even speak Japanese. What time is this 4th of July party. I'm a good one to invite myself.
4/21/2006 3:00 PM
Grandma D, You can come as long as you bring beer and a dessert! OK, so we are have the $th party. But NO HALLOWEEN THIS YEAR! sorry if I was too loud.
4/21/2006 4:55 PM
Hey, maybe I'll be able to bring back some saki if I get to go to Japan.
Grandma D: If I go to Japan, I'll be at Misawa Air Base. It's about 400 miles north of Tokyo. Hopefully I'll get to visit Tokyo over a weekend or something. I'm counting on them having one of those super-trains running from near Misawa to Tokyo. That would be awesome.
4/21/2006 4:58 PM
Sam, if you go to Japan, are you going to look up some of your dad's relatives? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!
4/21/2006 5:07 PM
Heck Yes!!!!! I'm going to make a shirt with my dad's picture on it that says, "Do you know this man?" I bet everyone in Japan knows who Kevin Holbrook is.
4/21/2006 5:09 PM
It's his eyes that will give him away!
4/22/2006 6:45 AM
Hey chumps,
Unfortunately, Saturday, July 1, 2006 is only somewhat crummy for me. One of the reasons I'm going home that weekend is for my high school 10 year reunion, which happens to be on the evening of 7/1. Lemme check the time... I bet it doesn't last too long.
Good ol', Lynn and Rot...
4/24/2006 10:11 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home