Step in the Door

I finished up AM 490 (Jump) today. Let's just say jumping out of an airplane is the most insane thing I have ever done. I loved it. I know Josh has gone skydiving (tandem though...what a wuss). He has an idea of waht I'm talking about probably.
First we started out with 3 10-hour days of ground training. That's where we learned like how to jump out of the plane, pull our ripcords, stay stable in the air, and how to check our canopies for emergencies, and then how to resolve those emergencies. It was pretty crazy. The upperclassmen test us on these suspended harnesses. We get strapped up in our mock parachute harnesses and lifted into the air. Then we have to go through all the checklists and resolve emergencies they yell at us. The very last one (Suspended Harness 4 or SH-4), is done under lots of pressure. I has spun and thrown around while I did the checklists. Then a guy with a leaf blower started blowing air in my face, then switched to putting it up the leg of my flight suit. Then these two guys (one on the other's shoulders) with a parachute around them jumped on to me to simulate a canopy wrap. The whole time other people were yelling and doing other stuff while I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm doing and working through the problems.
Well, I got through all that fine, so then I got ready to jump.
But the first day, my element got screwed over. All six of us were suited up (parachutes, helmets, radios, everything) and in the plane. We got to 4500 feet, but got delayed because of high winds. We waited a while and tried again. Same thing, wind delay. After that, we had to land. In all, we spent nearly an hour flying around not jumping out of the airplane. That sucked.
Finally, on Tuesday, I got to jump. The weather was cool and slightly breezy, perfect for jumping. Since my group got screwed out of a jump, we went first. We got on the 30 pound parachutes and headed out toward the plane. At this time my stomach is churning, thinking "What in the world am I doing?" I was excited, nervous, scared, everything...what did I get myself into???
I was the third jumper in line, sitting on the wall next to the big jump door. We jumped out of a UV-18B Twin Otter, made just for jumping. There's about a 4X5 foot section with a rolling clear door that we jump out of. I was about 2 feet from that.
So we all got buckled in and the plane took off. At this point, I'm just trying to focus on the training that we had and not think about that fact that in a matter of minutes I would be hanging onto the outside of a plane 4500 feet about the ground going 100+ miles per hour and then falling toward earth at 120 mph before hoping that a piece of nylon would save my life. Yeah, it was pretty scaring.
When we got to 3000 feet, the jumpmaster, Don, opened up the rolling door and let loose a streamer to check the winds. So, I'm sitting 2 feet from this huge hole in the plane looking down 3000 feet with the wind coming in. About now I start to think I'll need a diaper sometime soon
Finally, we got to 4500 feet. Don looked over the first two jumpers and told them one at a time to "Stand in the Door." The guys did as they were told and I watched them plummet from view, no farther away that you are from the screen right now. Now it was my turn. I had to scoot up to the seat nearest the door to get my equipment checked. Don had to check this automatic deployment device on my right hip. For that, I had to turn sideways in the seat. At this point, my feet were literally inches from the edge of the plane and 4500 feet of air.
The plane came back around to the drop point and I saw the jump light turn from red to green. "This is it," I thought. "I've had a good life." So, I'm about to crap myself, and Don looks me straight in the eyes and says, "Sam, are you ready to jump?" Of course I wasn't, so I lied and yelled "Freefall!!!!!!!!!!!" Don was like, "Okay. Sam...Stand...in the Door!" Right about now is when all the training kicked in. I stood and swiveled. "Right hand!" I slapped my right hand on the inside jam of the jump door. "Right foot!" I stuck my right foot into the corner of the jump door. "Left hand!" I stuck my hand outside of the plane and slapped the Otter's skin. "Left foot!" I positioned my left foot about 6 inches behind my right and stood on my tippy toes. Don is holding onto my harness so I don't fall out...accidentally.
Right now, my entire body is hanging outside of the plane except for my right hand. The wind and prop wash are screaming past my face at around 100+ mph. But oddly, I didn't really notice the wind. I noticed it when I first stepped out the door, but after that my adrenaline was pumping and my mind pretty much shut off and went into "Jump" mode. I looked over at Don and yelled "Check in!" Then Don yelled back, "Go!" I steadied myself. Looked at the prop. "Prop." Looked over the wing by standing on my toes. "Up." Back down. "Down." And then I stepped to the left and let go of the plane.
I'm in total free-fall. I just stared at the plane while I was going through my Arch-Count-Pull sequence. Eventually I rotated from near vertical to horizontal. Then I pulled my right hand into the ripcord the same time I put my left hand on the top of my head, which keeps you stable in flight. I pulled the ripcord and a second later I felt like I was hit by a car...but a yellow, nylon, save-my-life kind of car. Once that canopy was open, I was so excited. I had just jumped out of a plane! At this point I was about 3000 feet in the air. It was kind of foggy so I couldn't see too far, but it was still insane. It's the same view you get from an airplane, but I could control where I wanted to go and I was moving at a much slower speed. It was incredible. My heart was racing and all I wanted to do was hang out there for the rest of the day. But then gravity and AM 490 started to check in. Eventually I had to make my landing pattern and get back on Mother Earth. I had a rough first landing, but I stood up my next four jumps, so that was cool.
I did this same thing four more times. It was awesome. Standing in the door is the scariest thing in the world, but once that's over, freefalling is incredible. There is nothing around you. Nothing at all. You can see all around and do whatever you want. It's amazing. And the canopy ride is great. On my last jumps I was doing spirals where my canopy and body were horizontal to the ground. Again, awesome. I would love to be able to jump more often, but the team here takes up a lot of time. Maybe I'll get a private licesence some day.
So, if you ever have even thought about jumping out of a plane, do it! It's the best rush you'll ever get. I doubt anything else could top it. And for me, it was just icing on the cake for a really insane summer. Japan for 3 weeks. Being home. Then jumping out of airplanes. And it was all free! I think I'm starting to like this place.
***I was trying to put up a picture of my wings, but the stupid site isn't working. I'll try again later.

62 Comments:
Badness, I want to go!!!
8/03/2006 9:26 AM
Sam, that sounds so awesome, but I think I'll leave the parachuting to you! I am so proud of you and so glad that you are excited about where you are in your life! Can't wait to see your wings and your video...
Love Rach
8/03/2006 9:34 AM
Sam, Congradulations on getting your Wings. Way to Go! I read your blog and it was funny and also to the point. I could just see you standing at the door of the plane ready to go and wanting to poop at the same time. I am very proud of you Sam. GO AIR FORCE!
8/03/2006 9:52 AM
The picture I just put up is of my Jump wings. They're the essence of sweetness.
8/03/2006 11:35 AM
That was fantastic! Great job, Sam. I'm trying to imagine that instant where one let's go of the plane. I can imagine the anticipation and I can visualize the free fall... but for the life of me, my brain can't wrap itself around the moment you let go and jump out.
Great story.
jeremy
8/03/2006 12:03 PM
Sam! Great job, and I am so glad you loved it. You know, Grandma has always wanted to jump from a plane, too. Crazy old lady. I got goose bumps reading about you getting ready to jump. You've got more balls than I do. If you didn't, Brain would be really upset. You've got an amazing life ahead of you, take it all in.
8/03/2006 12:36 PM
Sam, you are such a stud. Seriously, that sounds so friggin' awesome. Glad to see you landed safely.
8/03/2006 1:41 PM
Sammy, I think I will poo my panties for you!!! Always wanted to do something like that! I'll just stick to sparklers.
8/03/2006 1:58 PM
Jill, what are u doing awake at this time!?
8/03/2006 2:00 PM
NeatO Sam! Loved your blog comment, it was like I was right there with you, and I hope you do jump some more so you can take me tandrum jumping,sure you don't want to join that club that they have there? The wings are sweet, where will these go on your uniform? So what is next? Sworing? I know I probably spelled that wrong. Have a good weekend Sam and everyone else, we are headed to QTown this weekend for a benefit for my great baby niece. See all you QTown folks soon.
8/03/2006 4:03 PM
I'm sure Beckaroni meant tandem jumping instead of tandrum. I'm not even going to try and guess what sworing means. I've even used my phonics and I still don't get what she meant.
We are headed to Quincy today too. Another wedding...in fact another Jason and Nicole wedding.
8/04/2006 6:38 AM
Thanks, Kevin. Even I, her mother, whom she got all her spelling and mis pronouce words from, didn't understand what she meant.
8/04/2006 9:03 AM
I nominate Kevin as our Becky to English translator.
I'm going to watch the new Will Ferrell movie tonight. Pretty excited about that!
Have a good weekend everybody!
8/04/2006 11:17 AM
"Save me Jesus! Save me Jewish God! Save me Tom Cruise! Use your witchcraft to get this fire off me!!!"
"I'd like to thank God for my two sons, Walker and Texas Ranger. And for my smokin' hot wife."
Wow, this movie hadn't even come out before today but already tons of people are qouting it. From the makers of "40 year old Virgin" and "Anchorman" this movie is going to rock. I can't wait. Hopefully I'll get to see it tonight.
8/04/2006 11:20 AM
Oh, soaring! Kevin should be our translator. It is now your job Kevin, that whenever Beckaroni posts a comment that you immediate follow with one of your own of any misspellings.
I hadn't heard those quotes Sam, I can't wait to see it. Although Talladega Nights is a good name, I think it should have been "A Ballad of Ricky Bobby" Ricky Bobby, what a great Nascar name, it's like Dale, Rusty, Darrell, Jimmy, etc.
8/04/2006 11:44 AM
Josh and I think he should have had 3 names, like,
Jimmy Ricky Bobby
or
Little Bobby Bubba
I can't wait to see that show too, even though I'm not a fan of Nascar...who can watch that?
Rach
8/04/2006 1:06 PM
I think Chris and Kesi watch Nascar. I'm able to watch the last 4 laps of a race, but that's about it...
8/04/2006 2:15 PM
Ok People, I get it, I am not the best speller, but hey, life is to short to dwell on it, anywho, I can not stand Will Farrell, he makes me want to barf, I think he makes stupid movies! Ok, we are off to Quincy, Sam I hope you get out of there, take a cab? and see if Tom will pick ya all up. TTYL. Have a good weekend what ever you all do.
8/04/2006 2:57 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207050,00.html
Another reason I don't like cats.
8/06/2006 6:39 PM
Thanks, all you Holbrooks, for all your contributions to the Alleigh Benefit. They don't know how much they took in yet but when I find out I will let Becky know and she can tell you or I will call Theresa. Thanks again!
8/06/2006 11:34 PM
Hi Darlene! It was a great benefit and I hope they did really, really well! You are all family and we wouldn't have missed taking part in it. Thanks for inviting us!
8/07/2006 9:41 AM
It is 2:40pm and I just talked to Kev a few minutes ago. They are on their way home from STL after picking up their car. There were some minor problems Kevin wanted done before they left. Dont' know what they were. But now they are on their way with Kev driving the new car and Bec following. Rach is with Bec. Jill I had a good time at the benefit and loved being at the door taking money. That way I could say a "Hi" to everyone weather I knew they or not. I did try to get by without paying for my food but some long legged hot shorts blonde ran me down and I had to pay. lol I heard Ron was trying to out bid everyone! Alan must of thought he was made of money as he ended up with an dumpster for a day, a 10 party hot tub thing ( which I am not invited ), & something else. Terry thought maybe he just like flipping that card that had his number on it. Now me, I bid on the silent auction. Or so I thought. I just put my number down and nothing behind it. lol What was I thinking. Maybe it was a good thing as I had put #64 on several bids!
8/07/2006 2:43 PM
PS: I must say Rachel really was working hard at the benefit. She had been there all day! And was still working when I left at 9p.
PS: Sue told me not to take her boys too seriously! Is that so?
8/07/2006 2:45 PM
Grandma D,
I'm glad to hear the benefit went well. I wish I could have made the trip to Quincy for it :(
It's true, you should never take anything said by a Holbrook boy seriously. Unless it's me. 'Cause I'm badness.
8/07/2006 3:06 PM
Grandma D, I think everyone worked very hard at the benefit! Although I still don't feel quite recovered from it yet, it really wore me out!!!
Plus ten hours on the road today wore me out too...tip for the future...don't ever go car shopping with Kevin!
Actually it wasn't that bad, but nice old Kevin is a badass when it comes to getting what he wants! Mom and I were slightly embarrased but also very impressed by his negotiating abilities. Go DAD! "That is not acceptable Bob"
Mom and Dad, congrats on your new ride...Love Rach
8/07/2006 8:28 PM
Hello to all and to Grandma D. Rod had a blast bidding up everything at the benefit. Especially with Mike and the quilt. I think he was trying to get him to go to $200.00 HA! It is great when u can help out family and we had a fun time doing it. Rod is still waving his little white card around!!!
8/08/2006 11:21 AM
I LOve Will F!
8/08/2006 11:23 AM
Sarah!! Don't kick Kelly. She is sweet! U can always have her mummified. I KNOW Kev would love that. Sitting right next to his bed gazing lovingly at him every morning!
Ok i'm done now
8/08/2006 11:26 AM
i'm bored
8/08/2006 1:25 PM
Me too. You should go see "Talladega Nights" if you haven't. It's incredible.
8/08/2006 1:26 PM
Yeah. That was some funny stuff. Kesi, go see it instead of being bored at work.
You'll have much more fun.
8/08/2006 1:55 PM
Hi All, Back home now from Q-Town, shoot, Chris and Kesi were in town but never saw them once, guess we were all to busy, me eating lunch and seeing baby Alliegh and helping at the benefit. I did hear from Terry last night, money still coming in,but so far close to $13,000 was raised! Thanks to everyone reading this who contributed, it is very much appreciated and I for one am very proud of all my in-laws, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Sam, hope you are doing well and getting ready to hit the books on Thursday. Ok, and I am off to drive my new Rav4, funny, the first time I drove it was at 5am this morning, I was not sure how to work it? So Kevin is going to give me a lesson tonight. Have a good day everyone!
8/08/2006 5:19 PM
I think I would kill someone for a bottle of Pepsi Clear. That was quite possibly the greatest thing to come out during the '90s...I kid you not.
8/08/2006 8:18 PM
Sam, you forget about the triple lutz you invented in the mid 90's, not to mention the exclamation mark...where would this web log be with out it?!!!!!! It has been awhile since you have come up with a new innovation, what's up with that? Rach
8/08/2006 8:42 PM
$13,000 is right so far for the benefit. Money is still trickling in. Thanks all you Holbrooks. If you all ever have to do something like this, and Lord I hope not, let us know so we can help! Take care everyone! And Bec, I could of taught you how to drive that car! If I could of gotten up in it! "RV" is coming out. That looks like a good one for Mark & Me, and the Maggarts & Blickhans as we are all RV people. Hey, Sam!
8/08/2006 9:25 PM
I still send yearly letters to the International Figure Skating Assoc. demanding compensation for my trade mark triple lutz. They refuse to pay, those ratbastards.
I didn't invent the exclamation point. I invented the quest-lamation mark. It's a mixture of an exclamation point and a question mark...it is used for loud questions like "What are you doing ?!?!?!?!?" So instead of "?!?!?!?!" you can use the quest-lamation mark. It looks like this:
|
|
.
.
.
.
|
|
0
8/08/2006 9:38 PM
Alright, so that didn't come out like I typed it. It looks like an exclamation point with a crook in the middle: -u- o
Something like that but vertical.
8/08/2006 9:40 PM
Let's start the bidding at...
*lava to the face*
*Sam runs in the house while Sarah is still surprised*
*Sam quickly grabs the precious bottle of Pepsi Clear and makes his escape*
*Sam finds returns to the Fortress of Solitude to enjoy the last known bottle of Pepsi Clear*
8/09/2006 8:41 AM
I just remember the Clear Pepsi commercial had "Right Now" as the song that played. I thought it was cool just for that.
So, Chris and I went to the theatre last night to see Ricky Bobby and we get up to the door and Chris changes his mind and says it's too crowded. So we turn around and go home. Another exciting night in the Holbrook household.
And I'm still bored at work. I am searching for a really nice dining room table and chairs...anyone know any good sites to check out?
8/09/2006 9:31 AM
www.walmart.com
8/09/2006 5:38 PM
Does anyone remember Tropical Chill Pepsi? I bet not. I kept a can of that and Crystal Clear Pepsi. I have no idea why. Let's just say I was a weird kid. Oh crap, the fact I still have them makes me a weird adult. Well, what do you do?
8/09/2006 8:44 PM
Oh yeah, and that Right Now song on that Clear Pepsi commercial made me actually buy a Van Halen album. I never really was a fan, and let's just say that album has as much dust on it as my precious Clear Pepsi bottle. Now all I have to ponder is who's mugshot looks worse today, Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth.
8/09/2006 8:52 PM
I have the same Van Halen CD...just for that song, too. I wasn't going to admit that in my previous e-mail though.
8/10/2006 6:44 AM
Happy Anniversary to Rachel and Josh today! 4 years and going strong! Have fun this weekend at the lake.
Sure am glad I am not flying today! So glad they stopped what could of been a very terrible plot.
Hey Sam, have a good first day of school, I hope your pkg. has all the goodies that you like.
8/10/2006 7:24 AM
Since we are spending the weekend in the Lake of the Ozarks, tonight we are just having a quiet dinner at home and maybe going to see a movie. Four years have gone by so fast! Plus, this is the day 10 years ago that I met Josh for the first time! Crazy! Everyone have a good day,
Rach
8/10/2006 8:43 AM
HAPPY ANIVERSARY to Rach & Josh. What a great couple!
8/10/2006 10:01 AM
Happy Anniversary Rachel and Josh. Today is also my little brother's 23rd birthday!! That makes me feel sooooo old. I tell you, I have been trying to figure out what this new Sam Jackson movie is all about called SNAKES ON A PLANE. I can't figure out why they named it that. I mean, geez, is Hollywood so dry on new names today that they have to name a movie like a Dr. Seuss book?? What is going to be next?? Tom Cruise stars in MAN JUMPING COUCH! Starts Friday in theatres everywhere!! From the director of SNAKES ON A PLANE comes DOGS ON A BOAT. You thought snakes were crazy in the air, just imagine dogs floating with gas powered motors!!! Ooooooh, man I can't wait to see that. Geez, come on Hollywood.
8/10/2006 7:02 PM
You know we got a message on our phone last night, this guy was screaming at us to go see "Snakes on a Plane", isn't that nuts, he even mentioned taking our daughter Rachel to go see it? Has anyone else gotten a message like this?
8/10/2006 7:43 PM
Any big plans for the weekend? Maybe Chris and I will FINALLY go see Talladega Nights this weekend...perhaps a matinee show so it won't be as crowded.
8/11/2006 7:39 AM
James Taylor...really? Are you a fan or Tom? I can't say anything, I've been to a NKOTB concert. Although I was forced to go because my girl scout troop loved them and if I wanted to get some badge I had to go. What a joke that was? Hangin' Tough
8/11/2006 9:08 AM
click on my name and read this article and let me know what you think
8/11/2006 11:46 AM
In all my years of little league, we NEVER issued an intentional walk. Pitch! You pitch to everyone when you're 10 years old. Let the chips fall where they may. The fact that the on-deck hitter was a cancer survivor doesn't even factor in for me for some reason.
Intentionally walking a 10-year-old. I don't get it.
8/11/2006 12:04 PM
I'm sure the self-righteous will be calling for the coach's head. How dare he teach competition!
8/11/2006 12:04 PM
Oops, they already have. It's all over ESPN radio.
8/11/2006 12:08 PM
The coaches almost had a fight?
8/11/2006 12:10 PM
the part that irritates me is that the parents were so upset that the other team would do this.
why do they enroll their kid in a sports program if they don't want him to learn and compete. these are the same parents that will say, "don't treat my kid differently, he just wants to be a normal kid." all kids strike out, it's part of learning.
the guy standing in on the "Rome" show is going ballistic because he thinks this is little league and how could the coach pick on the weakest player to win. is it really that important? while i was wanting to kick the radio, chris made a good point. it doesn't matter whether the kid on deck was the worst hitter or the 2nd best hitter, the team would have walked the best one to get to someone not as good if they are staying consistent with baseball strategy. for example, if Pujols is at bat and Rolen on deck, you walk Pujols and take your chances with Rolen. Rolen is still a very dangerous hitter but not like Pujols. i guess you know where chris and i stand on this issue now.
8/11/2006 12:17 PM
Intentionally walk? Screw that. If I'm going to give up a base, I'd drill the kid in the face. See, when I play little kids in sports, I don't do any of that "Oh you're little kid so I'll let you win." Screw that. I'd assert my dominance by pinging the kids a few times so they're scared. Then, as they cower in fear of my almighty right arm, I laugh and toss underhanded.
One time I knocked out a little girl with a soccer ball. At the time I felt bad. Now it's kind of funny. She really shouldn't have walked across the front of the goal when a when a beast like myself is trying to school a bunch of 10 year olds in the ways of badassness. That is a true story too.
8/11/2006 1:30 PM
sam
i like your train of thought
my brother will claim that he is the way he is because i was not nice to him when playing sports and never let him win because he was younger. i was merely teaching him life lessons by kicking his butt in EVERY sport
(my brother now has a police record, deals drugs and still lives off of my parents at age 24 and thinks the world owes him something)
8/11/2006 1:35 PM
I just like beating little kids in sports because it makes me feel big and important. Plus it's fun to dunk on the Fischer Price hoops!
8/11/2006 1:43 PM
i coach 6-10 year old girls softball and there are a couple of cocky ones that like to talk. they tell me they can throw the ball harder and further than me and run faster than me, hit it further than me. then, i choose just the right moment to lay the smack down on them and shut them up. all the other girls ooh and aah and i hear the parents oohing and aahing and then i strut around acting like a badass because i outran a 7 year old. (racing those girls makes me look speedy)
8/11/2006 1:55 PM
That's it! If the young buck just drilled the kid in the face, (1) the star-kid might be hurt and not able to continue to play, and (2) using one pitch to put the kid on base would keep his pitch count low. And (3) the next kids up to bat would be so scared of coming to the plate that they probably would bail out of the batter's box and watch a 3 pitch strikeout.
now that's competing!
8/11/2006 2:53 PM
Hi All, we have a busy weekend planned, going to the last Harvest Home Festival meeting, Kevin and I are Charing and introducing for the first time here the 'Poker Stand"! wish us luck with that please! Anyway, we are going to party being the last meeting and some band is playing someplace that we are all going to. Then Saturday I am having coffee with my friend Cathy and Sarah will join us, then Kevin and I running around going to get Sam's car in shape to sell, then hopefully we will go see that movie you all are talking about, even though I don't like Will Ferrel. Have a fun weekend!
8/11/2006 3:30 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home