Hello Everybody
Well, I think my mom is getting kind of antsy spending soooooooooo much effort scrolling down the page that I figured I'd take time out from my often hectic and rarely spectacular life of Facebook, playing guitar, saving America, and staring out the window to write something. That last sentence was really long and I forgot where I was going with it half way through, so, yeah...
Right now I'm in one of two "Combative" classes we have here at good 'ol USAFA. The first is boxing, which sucks, because if you're like me, and suck at boxing, you get hit in the head a lot. And if you're also like me, and don't enjoy getting hit in the head repeatedly, then you also wouldn't like boxing. But the second on is Unarmed Combat (UC). There are two UC classes, UC 1 and UC 2. In UC 2 we learn mostly defensive things, like how to disarm a guy with a gun to your head or how to headbutt someone holding onto your sweet Members Only jacket lapels.
UC 2 is all about what happens when none of the stuff from UC 1 works and you end up wrestling on the ground. It's pretty sweet. We've learned a bunch of different ways to get arm bars, arm coils, and chokes from various positions. Oh, and the always awesome Figure 4!!! We get to fight after every class, so that's pretty fun, but it's really tiring...kind of like sprinting for a long time. Anyway, I've done okay in the class. I've gotten one kid to tap out with a choke and that was cool. And I got another kid in a Figure 4 today but he was short and I couldn't get him turned over so I could really crank it in. Oh well...there's always Wednesday! Which, by the way, is the last day of that class for me. We only have 8 lessons/class session per PE class.
Not much else is going on. I almost saw "Rambo" this weekend, but instead I came back to the Academy and watched "School of Rock." Anyway, here's my synopsis of what happens in "Rambo".
Sylvester Stallone kills hundreds, if not thousands, of Southeast Asians while sustaining only minor flesh wounds and some severe cases of backflash. Lots and lots and lots and lots of blood. Sly is old. At then end of the movie, Rambo lays down on a buring funeral pyre like Darth Vader at the end of "Return of the Jedi". But then Rambo jumps up, yells "Pysch!!!!" and procedes to punch everyone at the funeral for being stupid enough that Rambo could die. Idiots!
What a great movie! Way better than "Narnia" or "The da Vinci Code". Did you hear that Tom Hanks and six gallons of hair grease are going to be in ANOTHER Dan Brown movie? This one is "Angels and Demons." You know at mass when the priest has a little time set aside for everyone to pray for their own intentions? I pray that Dan Brown gets killed by a platoon of Dino-Riders. (In case you didn't know, Dino-Riders are dinosaurs with guns and lasers and other completely sweet weapons on them.) Yeah...Dino-Riders...

137 Comments:
First to post!? i can't believe it...I thought mom camped out at her computer, waiting for word from Sam...she must be drinking instead.....
Anyways...We are good and we're ready for VEGAS!!! VEGAS! VEGAS!
I get wait to go on the dam tour and buy a shot glass at the dam gift shop!
Oh. And my camera is broken. That's all.
1/28/2008 8:11 PM
Holy crap, I totally forgot about Dino Riders. I am pretty sure my wife is a Dino Rider because she about killed our dog the other day (she squealed in agony for like the first time ever as TREX over here came stomping through the door.) THEN, we pulled her camera out of her purse the other day and the screen is all black, purple and DESTROYED. She then says she accidentally stepped on her purse the other day. I'm gonna hide all of my valuables (which pretty much includes my Wii and my Wii accessories) from her so she won't destroy them.
1/28/2008 8:59 PM
How short! How wonderful! I like it!
1/28/2008 9:40 PM
Sounds like some pretty sweet moves you can use on Sadam. Oh.....wait.....
I might try those on my kittie
Hi SAMMY!!!!!
1/29/2008 8:23 AM
Ok, the message is to all of you movie go-ers out there........me and lynn just watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time. Yes, we were inspired to watch due to the passing of that beautiful, beautiful, Heath bar.
Question #1....Did Jack really die by a tire explosion or was he beat to death by those dudes?
Qusetion #2 Why was his wife so indifferent to the phone call from Heath Bar? Did she suspect he was bi? Or was she angry from his cheatin' and boozin'?
Question #3......the most important question I have. What was the last thing Heath bar said?
Please answer these pressing questions for me and Lynn. Thank you.
1/29/2008 10:32 AM
Gosh, it has been a while since I watched Brokeback Mountain...
I think I remember thinking that Jack died from getting beat up. I think Jack's wife knew he liked "getting it on" with guys. I think she acted like she didn't care and never brought it up because her family was rich and didn't want to cause a scandal. I don't know the last question...maybe..."Why can't I quit you?"...it has just been too long since I've seen it.
1/29/2008 1:13 PM
Sam, I can just see you staring out your window thinking of something to write about and thinking of a home cooked meal, oops! wrong guy, that must be your roommate! we all know Sam gets no home cooked meals from this mom, hehehehehe, Thanks for the new blog Sam! and be careful with that boxing, you know you are the only one in our family to carry on the family name! Love MOM
Sorry Jill, never wanted to watch that movie! Any new rentals out there I should get this weekend, nothing big going on this weekend, right?
Oh, and I loved it that the Kennedy's backed Obama, wish I could of heard Hillary's fury over this one!
1/29/2008 4:24 PM
oh and loved the picture cartoon! and Sarah, did you step on Sophie? poor Sophie!
1/29/2008 4:27 PM
Yes I stepped on Sophie. But in my defense, I was struggling with an arm load of groceries (as my wonderful husband stared at me) and stepped on the dog because I couldn't see her or my feet! Which reminds me, when I am pregnany again, I won't be able to see my feet or the dog!!! Note to self....glide through the house to avoid the dog instead of taking big dinosaur steps....
1/29/2008 5:36 PM
Beckaroni,
I, too, found it funny that the Kennedy's back Slama Jama Obama, instead of Clinton.
Tonight, on the Republican side, Ghouliani has embarrassingly lost Florida. He will surely drop out. Now its down to two candidates, Mr. McRomneybee and Dr. Paul.
1/29/2008 6:27 PM
How awesome would Ron Paul on a Dino-Rider be? Pretty incredibly awesome I think...
Anyway, I like Ron Paul. I hope that he gets more coverage than he does now. He's come in 2nd or 3rd in a number of states so far, but none of the media really mentions him. There was one state, I forget which, where he got 3rd with like 15% of the vote, but Fox only reported Romney, McCain, and Huckabee (who got 4th) and Ron was just a little footnote in the corner.
1/30/2008 8:30 AM
[Brokeback Mountain Spoilers Below]
Jill and Lynn,
The last line Ennis says is, "Jack, I swear..."
That's it. It's open to lots of interpretations. Like, "I swear, if I knew this was going to happen, I'd do things differently." Or, "I swear I'll live my life better." Or, "I swear I won't be such a coward any more, and I'll live true to who I am." Or, "I swear I'm gonna kill someone."
Stuff like that. Okay, probably not that last one.
And how he died is also open to debate. Leaving it unclear whether or not he was killed during a beating or in an accident is brilliant. If this was a straight couple, and someone said he was killed in an accident, we wouldn't say, "I wonder if she was beaten to death by people who hate married couples?" That doesn't happen so there would be no questioning the wife's story about the accident. But we DO question the wife's story (just as Ennis questioned the story in his own mind).
One interpretation of the wife's story/indifference based on her phone call: You could conclude that she was so flat on the phonecall because she learned he was gay, learned that he was beaten to death for being gay, didn't want the embarrasment of everyone learning that her husband was gay, so she scripted a fake story of how he died. Also: she really didn't love Jack. She was just as fake as he was in that relationship. She's more concerned with the fact that she's embarrassed than the fact that Jack's dead.
You could just as easily conclude that he was killed in an accident. She didn't really love him and knew he was gay, so she wasn't that shaken up about it. Also, she may wanted to have hurt Ennis by being curt on the phone since she knew Jack loved Ennis and not her. In this scenario, Ennis may have just jumped to the conclusion that Jack was murdered because that is what Ennis feared most about them trying to be together.
In either event. He's dead and we wonder how. Everyone's lying to each other. Ennis will never know what really happened (even the audience), even though he's the only one who really cared about Jack.
So! I hope that helps!
jerome
1/30/2008 9:42 AM
Moreover....
Even if Jack was killed in an accident, the fact that Ennis's mind drifts to a murder scenario illustrates the type of fear in which he (gay people)lived (live). And that's the whole point o' the movie. If they didn't (don't) live in fear, then stuff like this won't happen, and they wouldn't feel pressured to marry and have kids and ruin those people's lives. Ennis's wife really did love him. She was a pretty sympathetic character who deserved better. In a different world where Ennis didn't have to lie, she would never have found herself in that situation.
So.. even more reason for why they kept everything ambiguous.
I hope that made some sense.
1/30/2008 9:48 AM
Looks to me like McCain is finally going to get a nomination. I don't count out Romney, but things are looking pretty good for McCain these days and he's starting to get endorsements from people who've been waiting to see which horse they should bet on. I think Hilary or Obama would beat Romney. And I think the Republican Base is starting to realize they have to get behind McCain. Who they despise.
That's my guess.
This is going to be a weird election.
1/30/2008 11:08 AM
I wish Huckabee had a better chance...he cracks me up! I like people with a little humor. All I really want is for Hillary NOT to get the democratic nomination...I can't stand her or her husband. If the "demonic presence" wins the election, Josh and I will be moving to England...seriously!
1/30/2008 11:31 AM
Chris, Rush and myself love Ron Paul. Nuff said.
1/30/2008 1:13 PM
Ron Paul is pretty loveable.
1/30/2008 1:18 PM
Huckabee definitely has one of the better senses of humor that I've seen in politics. Those Chuck Norris ads are hilarious. It's too bad he's a statist leftist hiding behind his pro-life stance.
John McHucklBumney, it doesn't really matter who is chosen, except for Jeremy's point about beating Hillary, they are the same. Bush has effectively given Obama the presidency, unless some miracle pits Paul against him.
...But I've been bad at predictions.
1/30/2008 2:53 PM
Bottom line to everyone - VOTE! Every election - you need to VOTE!
1/30/2008 3:47 PM
I think the South Dakota primary is in late June...pretty much non-existent by then! But everyone included in Super Tuesday needs to vote.
1/30/2008 4:05 PM
Yes, I've got my voter card ready! Sooooooooooooo, anybody seen any good rentals out there?
Chris, what do you mean ?when you say" Bush has given it to Obama? "please explain.
Hi Sam!
1/30/2008 5:21 PM
To my own defense, as Dino Rider was stomping through the door, I was putting my shoes own to go out and get the REST of the groceries and happened to step OVER the dog in the process. I had no trouble bringing them in. Sitting there, my ass. HA. Next time, I'll lock the door and smile and laugh and put my butt in the window. He he. J/K. You know I love you Birdie Doo but now our dog has no good legs.
1/30/2008 6:27 PM
Rach and Jerome......One hundred thank you's for your input on the movie!!! For some reason I have an obsession with it , yes, 2 years later. I am a slow movie watcher. I watched it last night with my homophobe husband and I realized that Jack had a thing going with that other dude at the dance and that was who he was gonna shack up with at his parent's ranch. I am so slow when it comes to disecting movies. Thank you for your input!!!!
Jill
HI SAMMY!
1/30/2008 6:38 PM
I am referring to the policies Bush has placed upon the American public - Patriot Act, No Child Left Behind Act, etc. His foreign policy has resulted in massive deficits. The monetary policy under his administration has destroyed the dollar. (Look at gasoline and milk prices, over $3/gal for gas; and have you seen the price for a Blizzard at Dairy Queen lately) Oh, I almost forgot the bubble has burst in the housing market; and foreclosures are climbing.
There are more, but Democrats would support them - such as the Medicare Act of 2003. The aforementioned will be used by the Democrats, because they are easy targets. Plus, Bush is an unpopular president and McRumnelbee represents a Bush 3rd term.
The Huckmeister is the new Pat Robertson, not to mention a guaranteed loss.
The Mouth is Genghis Khan, and should have his pocket Constitution taken away from him for referring to himself as a Federalist
The Hair is trying to reinvent himself through his campaign.
They make me throw up.
Vote Ron Paul, it's good medicine for both the soul and the country.
1/30/2008 7:01 PM
Speaking of movies...has anyone seen "No country for old men"? Josh and I watched it last weekend, and I have to say, I can't believe it is nominated for best picture. It was probably one of the worst movies I've seen in a while...#1 I was bored, #2 the story was incomplete and made no sense #3 they left you hanging worse than the end of the Sopranos and #4 how hard is it really to play a psycho serial killer? I give it two thumbs down.
As for "Super Tuesday", I have my voting card ready and I'm looking forward to voting...not sure who exactly I will be voting for though. I'm not sure if you guys could convince me to vote for Ron Paul seeing as he has virtually no chance at getting the nomination. I'll probably decide over the weekend...
1/30/2008 7:19 PM
I'll only consider the Republican side for now, on account of I'm too far off on economy/health care issues with them.
I like a lot of Ron Paul's ideas, re: The Constitution and the economy. I'm right with him on most of that. But his foreign policy views are way off of what I'd like to see in a president. I really don't like Mitt Romney at all as a person, based on nothing but I think I feel my soul being sucked out of my body when I look into his eyes. I don't match well with Huckabee on a bunch of issues, though I'd invite the chap to my poker night. And that leaves me with Sen. McCain, who I really liked when he was running against Bush 8 years ago. So maybe he's still my guy. We shall see what happens when I pull the level. Hopefully, I hit all cherries.
We'll see.
Jill,
No problem! Any time you need help with gay cowboy movies, I'm happy to help. Don't tell Erica. The other thing I liked about Brokeback is that I love the director, Ang Lee. He also did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
Becky,
I haven't rented a movie in a long time. The last one, I think, was a Clive Owen/Jennifer Aniston movie called "Derailed." Average. Interesting. I like Clive Owen in almost everything he does. Except "Closer" because I hated that movie on account of all characters being hatable.
So I'll recommend a movie from a few years ago called "The Cooler". It's a movie about a casino that's struggling and is a little old school. William H. Macey is awesome as The Cooler (a person so unlucky that casinos pay them to stand next to people who are winning big).
And if you haven't seen 3:10 To Yuma, American Gangster or Zodiac, I'd rent those in that order...
There you have it.
1/31/2008 9:38 AM
ooohh yeah, I loved the Zodiac and American Gangster...if The Great Debaters is out on DVD, that is a really good movie too.
1/31/2008 11:08 AM
The Great Debators, eh? I'll check it out. I'm usually pretty tired of teacher/student movies, but I'll give it a shot if you say so, Rach ;)
1/31/2008 1:23 PM
wow! lots of chatter going on here! Told ya so Sam, no one wanted to scroll all the way down anymore!
Ok, first,Jill did Brian like Broke Back Mountain?
Tom and Sarah, you two crack me up! poor Sophie!now no legs!
Jeremy, I agree with you about Mitt Romney, he looks like a gangster dood, and I think McCain has earned being a President just by being in POW camp for was it 5 years?
Chris, your stuff was totally over my head, to tired to try and digest it.
The movie I ended up getting is "Comebacks", I am not sure what it is about, left my glasses in the car when I went in to get one! The Zodiac and Gangster movie sound to ruff for me, but we did see 3:10 to YUMA at the theater, it was good.
I want to watch the Democrat debate tonight, like to see Hillary squirm!
Hi Sam!
1/31/2008 3:54 PM
First off, Becky Holbrook, Hilary did not squirm for one second. She is a very intelligent woman who would make a great President. Secondly, surely you don't want to see McCain, I was a POW, in? Good lord, he is too old. If I was a Republican ( lord help me ) I'd go for Mitt Romney. With McCain you've got a Bush yes man. I also think Barrack Obama would make a good president. Decisions decisions. Guess that is what this Primary is for. I've never beleived in the primary for the simple reason I don't think it is anyone's business where I stay on politics. I mean I've voted for some Republicans in State Elections, etc. Well, a few, maybe, or one. hmmm Now I'm not sure. lol I'll check out here tomorrow and hear all the H I am going to get! lol
1/31/2008 9:39 PM
I agree with you on McCain, MammaMarcks. I have that "this guy is going to launch a nuclear attack" feeling about him.
But I also have to agree with Beckaroni regarding Hillary. She is definitely a squirmer. While tonight's debate was pretty dull, Hillary backed herself into a corner from which she had to squirm. She was asked:
"Before the U.S. invasion of Iraq, you could have voted for the Levin amendment which required President Bush to report to Congress about the U.N. inspection before taking military action. Why did you vote against that amendment?"
After Obama and Hillary responded Wolf Blitzer asked:
"...Senator Clinton, you always say, if you knew then what you know now, you wouldn't have voted like that. But why can't you just say right now that that vote was a mistake?"
Wolf then nailed her on her response saying:
"So, what I hear you saying -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- is that you were naive in trusting President Bush?"
SQUIRM TIME:
"No, that's not what you heard me say... Good try, Wolf. Good try. You know... You know, I think that, you know, that is a good try, Wolf."
Excellent observation Becky!
2/01/2008 12:06 AM
For any last minute "deciders," here is a good website to compare candidate positions.
http://www.knowbeforeyouvote.com/
The positions are linked to the candidate's respective site.
2/01/2008 12:11 AM
For those who adore Ronald Reagan and wish for someone like him to enter the White House, this video is excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmsP95Bl9pM
It has the music piece at the end of the movie "The Last of the Mohicans" added to it - very powerful music.
2/01/2008 10:30 AM
Honestly, Chris, I disagree with Blitzer and you on that Hillary thing. It's unfair to say, "oh, so your saying you were naive when you trusted Bush, Powell, U.S. Intelligence, the detailed presentation Powell gave the UN..."
That's really unfair. That's like getting dealt four aces, betting all your money, and then losing to a straight flush and have someone tell you afterward, "So you were pretty naive putting all your chips on those Four Aces, eh?"
It's not naive to assume the president was telling the truth and that the truth was accurate. All the people who voted for it were at the mercy of what they were being told. A senator can't run her own intelligence agency.
So if I was her, I wouldn't let Blitzer get away with calling her naive.
2/01/2008 12:18 PM
I would just like to say.... I think Brianna's doll (Holly Dolly) needs to go to rehab. That is all I can say.
HI SAMMY!!!
(Auntie Lynn)
2/01/2008 12:56 PM
I depends on your definition of naive. I somewhat agree with your analogy when naive is defined as: "marked by unaffected simplicity." If, however, you define it as: "deficient in worldly wisdom or informed judgment" even your poker example illustrates naivete. Between the two definitions, the former is the most insulting and the latter describes your poker situation (lack of informed judgement). If Wolf meant the first, then I agree that is a low blow.
To your second point (on senators not having their own intelligence agency), I should have explained further that Clinton never read the intelligence report. She admits to this and obtaining the information from "several members of the administration." Your right, she trusted the administration; but she did not have to. This highlights her naivete according to the "informed judgment" definition. Other Congressmen, including Ron Paul, warned that the resolution gave the president the power to go alone. Paul said:
"This is not a resolution to declare war. We know that. This is a resolution that does something much different. This resolution transfers the responsibility, the authority, and the power of the Congress to the President so he can declare war when and if he wants to. He has not even indicated that he wants to go to war or has to go to war; but he will make the full decision, not the Congress, not the people through the Congress of this country in that manner."
Hillary said at the debate:
"He abused that authority; he misused that authority. I warned at the time it was not authority for a preemptive war. Nevertheless, he went ahead and waged one, which has led to the position we find ourselves in today."
Both Paul and Clinton see Bush's actions as abuse of authority, but Paul saw it coming and Clinton did not. According to the "worldly wisdom" definition, Hillary was definitely naive, while Ron Paul exhibited prescience.
All of this doesn't matter for the "squirmy" issue, however. If she had handled the accusation like you did, without all of the "good trys" and "you knows," she would have not sounded so squirmy. Her explanation after her uneasiness was similar to your argument, thus much better.
2/01/2008 1:45 PM
Sounds like Blitzer was just trying to act tough. Has CNN endorsed Obama yet? CNN = "Change Needed Now," I think.
Holly Dolly does nothing but drink, smoke cigarettes, and wonder how she ends up wherever she ends up. Holly Dolly Lohan has a rough life.
2/01/2008 3:36 PM
Hey Sam, did you get my message about your Empire Bank debit card? It is inactive as of now. Call me and I will explain. Love MOM
2/01/2008 4:57 PM
Sounds like sammy has been kicked to the curb.
HI SAMMY!!!
2/02/2008 9:19 AM
He has, purse strings are tied in a note! heheheheh
Hi Sam!!
2/02/2008 9:30 AM
I'm still here!
2/02/2008 9:44 AM
This one is for all the cookies, Eli. Go GIANTS!!!!
2/02/2008 10:43 AM
so check this out....i am typing this on tv from my wii.....cool huh? i am a dork i know....
2/02/2008 10:19 PM
Hey Tom that is cool, but if you are not going to play the games I will take it! I like playing tennis, will this help my game come Spring?
Hi Sam, are you going to a Super Bowl Party tonight?
2/03/2008 5:59 AM
18-1, I love it. That's perfect to me.
2/03/2008 8:16 PM
What a great game plan on the offensive and defensive side of the ball! Knock Brady around when the Pats had the ball and when the Giants had the ball they had it for awhile. The last time I had this much fun watching a Super Bowl was when the Pats upset the Rams in '01. I was rooting for the Pats then because they were such a huge underdog. Two Mannings with back to back MVPs...that is so fricking awesome!!!
2/03/2008 8:44 PM
I would say amen Kesi but to find out that you EVER went for the Pats for ANYTHING is a HUGE sin in my world. I have despised the Pats from day one and I could never root for them no matter what the circumstances. Way to go tonight Eli. I am so proud of what this Giants Offense has become. I have to admit I was getting worried in the end but I flipped my hat inside out and sported the rally cap and I know that was what put them on top. It was my constant support through thick and thin. I love those Giants and am so happy that they made it all the way!!!!!! World Champions Baby!!!!! Wooooooo Hoooooooo!!!!
2/03/2008 9:29 PM
All who is supposed to "GO VOTE" tomorrow, so exciting, I love the Election YEAR!
HI SAM!
2/04/2008 6:37 PM
Ok now, when you have voted post it! You don't have to put who but just let us know you voted!
2/05/2008 7:32 AM
I voted this morning on my way to work with Brianna. One of the election judges complimented me on bringing her with me - to see how voting/elections work in the United States of America. It is so hard to believe that at one time - I would not have been allowed to vote. Have a great SUPER TUESDAY!
2/05/2008 8:35 AM
Well, people, here it comes again! More rain, ice, and snow. I am so tired of it. When is spring coming? And that stupid animal saw it's shadow! Wouldn't you know. I suppose my husband will be singing his song again! "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas".
2/05/2008 9:32 AM
oops! Forgot to say. I am off to vote! After watching all these other countries and their problems, it is a privilege to be able to vote. And you know who for? Shhhh Can't say.
2/05/2008 9:34 AM
I just voted! Woohoo! I'm looking forward to later tonight and seeing the results!
2/05/2008 9:39 AM
I'm gonna vote, but I can't say I am crazy about any of them. No one impresses me at all, and they all lie like dogs.
An angry republican, Jill
HI SAMMY!
Susie....I'm sorry I missed your delicious taco dip!!!! And I am the one who requested it!!!!
2/05/2008 10:56 AM
I didn't vote today because I'm not in Missouri...and I didn't get an absentee ballot. But I will vote in November! I want a say in who signs my commission!
Anyway, I had to take our Physical Fitness Test today. I got a 470 out of 500 points! That's the best I've ever done...plus I validated the next one in the fall so I'm done with the PFT forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2/05/2008 3:05 PM
Congrats Sam! That's awesome! Only 9 more days til Vegas!!! Yeah!
2/05/2008 3:35 PM
Sam, no more PFT's? does this mean that if you didn't get good you would of had to keep doing it next year? GLAD YOU DID WELL THOUGH!!! Congrats!
Kevin and I just got back from voting, polls were busy, even with the durational rains we have been having here today!
Happy Fat Tuesday Everyone!!
2/05/2008 4:14 PM
I voted! I did it before work this morning and it was dead. I didn't even have to wait in line.
2/05/2008 5:33 PM
Mom...if you get over a 450 on the PFT you don't have to take the next one. And firsties don't have to take the PFT in the spring, so the only one left (the one in the fall), I validated. So no more PFT for this guy
2/05/2008 5:50 PM
As quoted by Becky,
"Kevin and I just got back from voting, polls were busy, even with the durational rains we have been having here today!"
I would like to know what "durational rains" are...I don't think I have ever seen "durational rain". I'm not even sure what you were trying to say...
torrential?
downpour?
sporadic?
Watching the primaries come in has been so exciting! Missouri just came in with McCain and Obama...we are the swing state...very interesting...
2/05/2008 10:46 PM
Clearly "durational" rains are rains that last for a "duration" of time
2/05/2008 10:52 PM
Maybe Bec meant "occasional"? Who knows...even after 30 years I sometimes have a difficult time translating Beckyish into English.
HI SAM! Congrats on your PFT!!
Kevin-Dad
2/06/2008 6:14 AM
Yes, Kevin is finally getting it, I did mean duration, (it rained the whole duration of the day) I think I should write a dictionary for all of you to understand!!
Thanks Sam, I understand your PFT stuff now, way to go!
It was a nice surprise to see Sarah at Ash Wednesday Mass at 6:30am this morning!! Good way to start off the Lenten Season.
Have a good day everyone, PS. I am hungry!!
2/06/2008 7:23 AM
I thought I'd get Lent off to a good start...cause it never seems to end well for me...I gave up fried foods. I hope they don't have any in Vegas.
2/06/2008 6:32 PM
Hey Chris,
With Romney out of the race, who's gonna get his votes? On the one hand, Huckabee and Paul are the remaining "Conservative Options". But then again, the Republican Base support he had may switch over to McCain since he's got such a huge lead.
Predictions?
2/07/2008 11:54 AM
Yeah, Cris, what do you think? This is not my party but I think it's a sad day when all the conservatives have is a man who's been married, how many times, thinks he's the only service man who has been a POW, and will have us in Iraq a 100 more years ( not that he'll be voted in ). I personally think he's a scary man to have in office!
2/07/2008 12:01 PM
I'm guessing Romney's votes will go the Huckabee, because Romney and his supporters have endured a lot of crap from McCain. It seems like McCain is willing to burn every bridge he has left to win the nomination; and the old Romney supporters will vote for Huckabee out of spite. Huckabee and Paul need to draw enough votes away from McCain to beat him at brokered convention. I can't believe I'm writing this, but Huckabee (a pro-life liberal) is the only thing in the way of McCain destroying the Republican party (as if I care).
I agree with Mamamarcks, McCain is not the man I want near "the button." He said recently, that he still hates those "gooks" and he always will; and he doesn't mind perpetual war.
The Republicans will lose in November if Obama wins the nomination. That is easily seen when one looks at Obama's support. He destroys Clinton in the "red" states; and procures votes from every demographic. Hillary only gets significant support from women and people over 60. The only hope for Republicans is if Clinton can win the nomination on the Dem's side. Then everyone will be voting against someone, instead of for someone.
2/07/2008 12:44 PM
About McCain:
The "gook" stuff was from the 2000 election. He apologized for it. He was referring to his captors who he still hated/hates. Those were the people he will always hate because of the way he and all the other POWs were mistreated. So it's unfair to claim he hates all Asians and calls them all derogatory names.
On Huckabee:
What's with calling Huckabee a liberal when he's sooo socially conservative?
Do you have to have never raised taxes to be considered a liberal? And all the reports that he raised sales taxes by 17% is misleading. Arkansas doesn't have a 25% sales tax. If there sales tax was 7% and it was raised to about 8%, that's about a 17% increase, right?
I'm confused. The guy wants a pro-life amendment to the constitution, anti-gay marriage amendment to the constitution, opposed the Brady Bill and the assault weapons ban, opposed the amnesty bill, wants to eliminate the Federal Income tax and he's a liberal because he raised taxes and spending primarily to pay for rebuilding Arkansas's crumbling infrastructure?
Personally, I haven't heard one of my liberal friends (most of my friends) like Mike Huckabee at all. ALL of them are afraid of Mike Huckabee because he's too conservative on social issues.
So the post-Iowa Caucus backlash against Huckabee by every conservative with a radio show seems to enjoy ignoring his conservative social issues, and call him a liberal.
Do social issues not count anymore on the left/right continuum?
2/07/2008 2:17 PM
Grandma D...you need to Wikipedia McCain so you can get your facts straight!!! McCain has been married twice, and is still friendly with his first wife. He also has seven children, including an adopted daughter (who had a cleft palette) which I find very commendable.
Also, I don't think lily white, soft handed, draft dodger Bill Clinton could have survived 7 years as a POW. McCain had the opportunity to leave the POW camp two years into it because his father was Commander in Chief of Pacific Command, but McCain refused unless POW's that had been there before him were released...none were released and McCain was kept for five more years. During that time he was beat at least weekly and was near death multiple times and never gave up more than his name and rank.
You and I may not agree on all the issues or all the things McCain stands for, but you have to have respect for the guy. He is a true patriot and a true American to have served his country in such a way.
What really scares me is putting someone into the office of the presidency that is completely out of touch with reality and the American people, and I really think the Clinton's are out of touch.
As for Romney...I was shocked when he pulled out of the race today...he doesn't seem like someone to take "defeat" very well. I have a feeling he'll be someones running mate...I suppose we shall see!
2/07/2008 3:05 PM
All excellent points about McCain, Rachel. He's not the only POW out there, but he's the only one running for President. He's never faltered in his duty to his country. Now duty to his first wife... that's a different subject. ;) (Yes. One that he and his wife are way beyond. Better be, it was 30 years ago.)
And about his burning bridges with fellow Republicans, I think that's why people like me really like McCain. He's willing to piss off his own party to do what he thinks is best. So for a lot of us, his angering the Republican base isn't such a bad thing.
2/07/2008 3:18 PM
So where was this Big McCain when it came to the Stimulus Vote today. The other two made it, why not him. He has missed half the votes in congress. There is no way in H I would want this man for President. It would be like have another Bush and 7 years of that is enough. As for Bill Clinton a war dodger. He was in shcool as were and are many a young man today who don't want to go to war in Iraq or Afghanistan. Also Clinton had us out of debt and with a surplus. Within a year Bush had spent the surplus and then some and from then on it got worst and worst. And if we would be truthful with each other there is a little crook in all of them or they wouldn't be in Washington. I want to believe them but am skepical of what any of them say. But as for McCain, he is one scary person. All my relatives, but me, are Republicans, and even they will not vote for McCain, well, except maybe you Rach. Love you anyway.
2/07/2008 8:56 PM
Jeremy, I did not mean to suggest that I don't want McCain because he'll "shake up" the party. That's why I threw in the sarcastic "like I care" comment. I agree, with disrupting the Republican base (I am a libertarian Ron Paul supporter); I just mentioned it to show how he will have trouble uniting the Republicans. You are right about the "gook" remark. I reached it through a link and did not pay attention to the date (My mistake).
I may be wrong, but I don't think Mamamarcks was trying to marginalize or disrespect McCain's POW status. I'm guessing that she is simply annoyed, like I am, with his supporters offering it as a reason to select him over the others. To be fair to McCain, I have not heard him present his POW status in any of his speeches; and I don't blame him for his supporters obtuse use of it . His actions as a POW were quite commendable.
As for Huckabee, it is his gubernatorial record from which I have drawn my conclusions. The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration found 90 tax cuts between 1997 and 2005 that amount to a reduction of $378 million. Huckabee likes to aggrandize these, but neglects to mention his tax increases that raised much more - over $500 million. He tries to obfuscate these numbers by claiming much of them are fees and not taxes, but that does little to ease the the burden on Arkansans.
The Cato Institute has a governors report at its website. This is what it had to say regarding Huckabee:
"Thanks to a final term grade of F, Huckabee earns an overall grade of D for his entire governorship. Like many Republicans, his grades dropped the longer he stayed in office. In his first few years, he fought hard for a sweeping $70 million tax cut package that was the first broad-based tax cut in the state in more than 20 years. He even signed a bill to cut the state’s 6 percent capital gains tax—a significant pro-growth accomplishment. But nine days after being reelected in 2002, he proposed a sales tax increase to cover a budget deficit caused partly by large spending increases that he proposed and approved, including an expansion in Medicare eligibility that Huckabee made a centerpiece of his 1997 agenda. He agreed to a 3 percent income tax “surcharge” and a 25-cent cigarette tax increase. In response to a court order to increase spending on education, Huckabee proposed another sales tax increase. Huckabee wants to run for the GOP presidential nomination next year. He’s already been hailed as a viable big-government conservative candidate by some. That seems about right: Huckabee’s leadership has left taxpayers in Arkansas much worse off."
His overall tax score (45) was the lowest of all governors Only 3 governors had a higher Average Annual Change in Real Per Capita Tax Revenue (8.48%) and Average Annual Change as a percentage of personal income (6.46%). (through 2005)
With respect to his social conservatism: He is a proponent of increasing the nanny state, arguing: "states are laboratories of democracy" that the federal government should look to and adopt "successful" programs. But I concede that you are right on guns. So, Huckabee is a pro-life, pro-gun liberal who wants to run everyone's lives.
By the way, Matt Blunt was ranked as the top governor in that Cato Institute study - the only one to receive an A grade.
2/07/2008 9:12 PM
Just so you know, on Tuesday I did not vote for McCain. My previous post was not to endorse him, but to say the man does deserve respect as a Soldier and a servant to our country.
I totally agree that no one in DC is without some form of dishonesty, which is unfortunate. You get some good and you get some bad, and you just have to hope for the best I suppose.
I love you too Grandma D!
2/07/2008 9:41 PM
P.S. Matt Blunt is Missouri's governor! Too bad he's not running again next year...maybe he'll get the VP Nomination???
2/07/2008 9:43 PM
I love you Grandma but
"I think it's a sad day when all the conservatives have is a man who's been married, how many times, thinks he's the only service man who has been a POW, and will have us in Iraq a 100 more years ( not that he'll be voted in ). I personally think he's a scary man to have in office!"
....but you like Bill Clinton who cheated on his wife with an intern who gave him a blow job and heaven knows what else in the oval office!? Gimme a break.
Are you saying only Dems are suppsed to be sleazy? I'll agree with you on that! I think it would scarier to have universal health care...ask me how easy it is for my kiddos and parents on Medicaid to see a doctor...ask me how good of care they get now...It's not good, and adding millions of other americans who can afford decent health care and see how long we'll wait to see a GOOD doctor when we need one...good luck.
2/08/2008 6:35 AM
If I was a little snarky, just so ya know, out was out late last night taking 6 kids out of a meth lab so I am pizzed and exhausted. I still mean what I said. That's all.
2/08/2008 6:37 AM
I also want to say, as I'm sure we all know, that the media has picked our candidates and as the primaries proved...the sheep took the bait. Except me of course.
2/08/2008 6:40 AM
Huckabee: I'll buy that his record as a governor was taxy and spendy. I just disagree with labeling him a liberal. It ignores the reality he was handed in Arkansas, ignores his being socially conservative, labels him a liberal without giving him conservative credit for the isses on which he is more conservative than the rest of the candidates.
And saying he's a Pro-life, Pro-Gun liberal us an oxymoron. You can't demand a constitutional ban on abortion, gay marriage, and oppose gun legislation and be labeled a liberal. You can call him a fiscal liberal and a social conservative. That's fair(er). It's also fair to conclude that he'd raise taxes and spend more money as president (he wants to build more roads again).
And I checked the Cato methodology. Those grades are weighted heavily to give poor grades to those who raised taxes and increased spending and it does not take into account individual state's situations or what the spending was for. That's fine, but people don't govern in a vaccum. He had the worst roads in the nation, and his Supreme Court ordered him to increase spending in public schools. And that's all part of what happened to him. Did the fella from Montana who scored the best have to deal with any of that? Did Bill Clinton have to deal with the economic crises caused by 9/11 and the subsequent war? So you can't look at economic policy decisions in a vaccum. Of course Huckabee increased spending. Of course Bush increased spending and ran us into deficit. We can argue about the degree necessary, but those who govern an economic policy are dealt different hands. An increase in spending/taxes does not always mean someone is an unholy taxandspend liberal.
So, yes, Cato institute, the taxpayers in Arkansas were worse off. But the roads and people who use them were better off. The kids in the public schools may have been better off (they had more funding, but that's certainly no guaruntee of anything).
Back to McCain,
I'm pretty interested hearing the likes of Ann Coulter. Today she talked about how she can't stand McCain and if he ran against Hilary she wouldn't know who to vote for. Because she doesn't know which is more conservative. Note to Far Right Wingers: every time a moderate republican is eliminated from the primaries, we are asked to support the remaining republican candidate despite disagreeing with him. Why does that big tent mentality not apply to John McCain? Take your ball and go home and don't vote. Reap what you sow. I hope you like universal health care.
2/08/2008 8:54 AM
Also, I hear Chris is giving up coffee for Lent again. He's a brave soul. I couldn't do that without dying slowly.
Finding a meatless lunch at the cafeteria was a nightmare today. I ended up with a tofu stirfry that tasted like mushy-textured air.
Next time I'm packing a PB&J
2/08/2008 11:27 AM
Huckabee didn't need to raise taxes over 65% to do so (update infrastructure), however; and he did not need to raise taxes to meet the AR Supreme Ct.'s edict for education. He could have cut spending in one of the many programs that he either instituted or increased in funding. He supports protectionist trade, smoking bans, disproportionately higher taxes on alcohol and cigarettes, increasing welfare state benefits, the list goes on. There are many more examples of Huckabee's liberalism even on the social end than there are of his conservatism, to the point that even non-radioheads agree that he espouses liberal methods. In fact, they existed before the admonitions of Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter, and Beck. The label is not new to Huckabee.
There is always a little tongue-in-cheek when people are labeled with such terms as liberal or conservative because people are rarely at the absolute ends of the spectrum; but in Huckabee's case it generally and aptly applies. I would counter your friends' label of him as "too conservative," and ask: is it simply because of two or three issues that make them think he is so. I consider Huckabee a liberal because his overall approach to economic and social problems is for government to step in to regulate and fix them. His record indicates a strong tendency to do this, similar to that of liberal Democrats. I agree that the stances of pro-life and pro-2nd amendment don't garner the the label liberal in themselves, but they don't necessarily protect one from the label either. As to the "pro-marriage" amendment, it is a ruse to consider support for it "conservative." It's definitely neo-conservative (the use of "liberal" means to attain "conservative" ends); but the true conservative stance is to get government completely out of the institution.
My favorite color is green.
2/08/2008 12:47 PM
Alls I can say is be sure to vote in Republicans for Congress!!
Mom, I so remember when McCain ran against Bush you said you would vote for him?
Anyhow, another heated discussion on the blog, and I was working all day, some people have it made in the shade!
Have a good weekend everyone!
Hi Sam!!
2/08/2008 3:47 PM
I GET A SNOW DAY TODAY!! YEAH!! getting icy/sleet here, Kevin made it to work, but my boss called me at 7am and told me to stay home!! Wish now I had something to bake, a cake mix would be nice, darn! my luck.
Hi Sam!
Rach if you are reading this Sarah is home too, so if you brave it call us!
2/11/2008 8:05 AM
Hey Mom. I wish I got a snow day! It's just super windy here today...stupid Colorado!
I'm sure you could bake a cake from scratch! Hahaha
2/11/2008 8:25 AM
That's what I told her Sam! She laughed at me! Too many steps...
It may be a "snow day", but it is the same old, same old for me! Working on signs as usual. I am stuck at home though, Josh took my car today since it handles better on ice and snow...maybe I'll walk down to mom's later when the rain stops. Or maybe not, it is awfully cozy in here!
2/11/2008 8:41 AM
Mom, you should go over to Rach's and help makes signs! Or you could do some more Vegas research. Have you and the girls finalized our plans...like where we're eating and what we're going to do? It doesn't really matter to me since I'm down for anything but I'm sure we'd all rather have a set plan than waiting until we get there and then sitting around debating what to do.
2/11/2008 8:44 AM
Sam,
I was skimming your the messages and I thought your message to your mother read:
"I wish you could bake a cake from scotch"
I thought that sounded like a really good idea.
-Jeremy <--- has a bottle of Laphroaig on the way. Will try to bake a cake with it.
2/11/2008 9:51 AM
hahahah, no way would I make a cake from Scratch or Scotch! hahahah, anyway, whatever I would bake I would have to eat it since I live with a "insulin man" Hi Dear! Love ya, as you can tell I am getting nothing done staying home cause I've been on the puter all day!
Hey Sam, I checked on a earlier flight, it leaves at 6:20pm, but it stops in AZ. and arrives in LA at 9:02pm, so let me knw if this is ok, I still don't know if I can change it or not or how much it would cost. Love MOM
2/11/2008 10:37 AM
On the way? How did you order it, Jeremy?
2/11/2008 10:38 AM
Hey Mom,
Yeah, that'll work out great.
2/11/2008 10:54 AM
update on being snowed in: I can't believe it is noon already! hmmm, what to have for lunch, Rach, want to walk to Qdoba? Probably not a good idea, I just walked down to the mail box, it was kinda scary, even the grass has ice on it, fun to walk on it though, crunchy sounding. Got all the way down to the mail box and it was frozen shut! UGH! So up I go to get a gallon of hot water to pour over it, or should I let the bills be late? hmmmm,
OH and got a phone call from the Library Center, our assos. meeting is canceled tonight cause the Library is closing at 5:30pm
Hi Sam!
2/11/2008 11:23 AM
YEAH! The Andy Griffin show is on, have not seen this in eons!!
2/11/2008 11:32 AM
Well, my fun snow day will be coming to an end soon...Josh is coming home early!!! He's going to work from home which means I can't watch TV in the living room while I work :( Guess I'll be stuck in my "office" at the back of the house.
Mom...I already ate lunch, yummy lentil soup with spinach, mmmm....
Now I need some dove dark chocolate! I may come over later to run on your treadmill though...I have a feeling the gym will close early tonight.
2/11/2008 12:01 PM
yep Rach, come run on the treadmill, Sarah what are you up to,have not seen you online. Soap Oprah on now, blah, blah, blah, finally going to eat lunch, hmmm, I have some lentil soup too, and maybe a toasted cheese sandwich?
Hi Sam, hey, I text you regardig if you had a military ID#, text or e-mail it to me. Thanks.
2/11/2008 12:04 PM
could not stay off long, had soup and toasted cheese for lunch while watching Queer Eye for a Straight Guy, now going over Las Vegas details, glad I did, we fly out 1 hour earlier then I thought!
Hi Sam
2/11/2008 1:00 PM
what time does the mail come? I need something to look forward to.
hi sam!
2/11/2008 1:37 PM
I stopped by Sams Wine And Spirits, but they didn't have the Laproaig I wanted (cask strength), so I ordered it from Samswine.com.
Still waiting for it, though. It's being shipped to the Sam's store near me.
I ordered on 2/5 and they haven't responded to me email query. I'm steamed...
Becky,
see if they are running a marathon of Dr. Drew's celebrity rehab show on VH1 (I think). That's some sleezy/creepy entertainment ;)
2/11/2008 2:13 PM
update on snowed in: Rachel ended up coming over and running on our treadmill, so I watched Judge Judy with her. Never did get the mail, when Rach left about 4:30 it still had not come yet? Don't those guys work in any kind of weather?
Never did take a nap today, but I did get some reading in. I am reading "The Pillars of The Earth" Kevin got it for me for Christmas, has anyone else read it?
The weatherman is calling for more ice tonight, UGH! I might have to go though another "snow day" tomorrow!
Hi Sam!
2/11/2008 4:42 PM
They have called school out again tomorrow, supposed to get more freezing rain starting at midnight! Hope this all thaws out by Thursday when we are supposed to fly to VEGAS!!
Hi Sam, I sure you are studying hard now for your test tomorrow.
2/11/2008 6:43 PM
Becky, are you iced in now? No work? Poor lady! It is so very cold here but we've only had a dusting of the white stuff. I've been cold since September and am darn tired of being wrapping in blankets constantly. Bec, make a cake from scratch. You can do it. Got any eggs? Make an angle food cake!
2/12/2008 10:15 AM
What's this love for angel food cake? I've never understood it. Am I the only person who doesn't like the rubber cake. And throwing icing or strawberries on it doesn't help either.
2/12/2008 11:20 AM
Angel food cake is like chewing a sponge. I don't like it either. But I'm sure my husband already knows that:)
2/12/2008 11:46 AM
I am making snickerdoodles for my love muffin. He's in Wyoming and shall be home tomorrow for Vanentine's Day. Not too crazy about angel food cake either unless it has lots of that birthday cake ice cream on it!!!!!!!!!
HI SAMMY! YOU LITTLE PINK VALENTINE!!!!!
2/12/2008 11:50 AM
I agree angel food cake is yuk, but Becky and the girls love it. That cake always made my teeth feel funny when I chewed it. Anyway, I don't eat any kind of cake (or breads) much these days because it spikes my blood sugar.
Happy Birthday Jeremy!! Any big plans? I hope you have a great day!
We had a stinking ice storm yesterday. The trees are all bowed down to the ground and ice is covering everything. There has to be at least 1-1/2" of ice on the driveway. Sarah and Tom's power went out around 9PM so they stayed with me and Bec for the night. I haven't heard if they have their power back today or not. Rach and Josh lost their internet and cable but still had heat and lights.
HI SAM!!! See you soon in Vega!!!
Dad-Kevin
2/12/2008 12:01 PM
Thanks Uncle Kevin! My friend got me a bunch of Bulls tickets, so Erica, a couple of guys from work, and I are heading to the United Center to watch the Bulls get spanked by the Hornets.
Becky, The Girls,
I love angel food cake.
For serious.
2/12/2008 12:43 PM
People, people, Angel Food Cake is the very best and when you make it from scratch, hmmmm hmmmm good. But don't think Bec will be making it from scratch, do you? Too many steps. It is also better for us diabetics than the other kinds which I love also. Well, truth be told, I love all sweets, wouldn't you know. Me, a diabetic, and too heavy at that. Our family reunion this year we are having, "Biggest Brocksmith Loser". Winner gets $100 and runner up $50. Guess who'll get the booby prize? You got that right! I have no will power at all. But I am trying. Love to all and have a good Valentines day. Ladies I hope you get Roses, if you like them. I love them but the price is way too high for us oldies on set incomes.
Hi Sam & put a quarter in the slots for Granny D.
2/12/2008 1:51 PM
Happy Birthday Jeremy! Hope you have fun at the bulls game!
Our cable and internet and phone were back up this morning when I got up...thank goodness! I felt lost last night after it went out...I love my laptop!
We had another casualty of the ice storm this year...a big branch came off one of our pear trees. So sad :( When we moved in 4 years ago we had 4 nice pear trees, now we are down to 1 1/2!! I took lots of pictures of the ice, it is amazing how thick it is! While I was outside this afternoon my neighbors tree crashed down, it was kind-of scary. Last night Josh and I heard the transformers popping down the road, sounded like a gunshot or a big firecracker and it gave off a blue light. Weird!
I picked Sarah up today since her car was still frozen shut. We went on a hunt for De-Icer and ice scrapers. We found scrapers, but no deicer...We decided to go to the mall and shop for vegas! We had fun! Then I dropped Sarah off and I helped her get her car open. Hot water with dish detergent worked very well!
Yeah! Only 2 more days til Vegas!!! I need to pack...
2/12/2008 2:58 PM
Happy Birthday Jeremy! How old are ya now? Can't keep track of all you kids, although really not kids, but to me you will all be kids, right Sue?
Sam likes Angel Food Cake, don't ya Sam? Kevin doesn't like it so only make it when Sam is home mom, and then he does not eat much sweets either, I am doomed! But Mom is right, her homemade one is awesome!! but yes, to many steps for me, you have to crack and beat to death 12 egg whites!!
No school here again tomorrow, Sam you would of loved this when you were in High School, guess they say the parking lot is to icy. Supposed to get up to 38 tomorrow here, and 53* on Thursday, so it is looking good for us to fly out.
It looks like a war zone here though, with all the ice on trees and grass, and all the trees bending over. Looks like us might survive this one though.
Hi Sam!!
2/12/2008 5:32 PM
WELLLL...I have finally gotten my car out of the ice! Rachel helped me get into the car, then I let it run with the defrosters etc on...the I made brownies for Tom...then I went out to the car and chopped the ice off. There is still a little paint on the car. LOL. The ice was at least an inch thick in spots. THENnnn Tom came home and finished getting the ice off the car...THEN we ate the chili I made...THEN I finished the dishes...and now Tom is going to put gas on my car and I'm getting ready to take a bubble bath!!!!
We lost power last night and had no internet or cable for most of today...Thank goodness Rach took me around most of the day looking for ice scrapers (Yes, I bought 4, and Tom has already broken one of them trying to get my car uncovered!) so I wasn't forced to go nuts at home and face the prospect of CLEANING! AHHH!
Thanks to Mom and Dad for putting us up last night!
2/12/2008 7:00 PM
"and now Tom is going to put gas on my car and I'm getting ready to take a bubble bath!!!!"
Sarah, this cracked me up! You said "put gas ON my car" ha ha! Light it up, that will get rid of the ice! Ha ha!
2/12/2008 7:32 PM
I didn't realize I wrote that! But today Rach and I were joking about setting my car on fire, because all the stores were out of deicer but had plenty of lighter fluid!
2/12/2008 8:40 PM
Anyone else glued to the Clemens/McNamara Congressional Hearing????? This is nuts!!
Thanks for the b-day wishes!
2/13/2008 8:40 AM
Jeremy, who do you think is telling the truth? I want to believe Clemens and but then think of Bonds. I do think this trainer is lying about some things. I watch a little of trial on my cnn.com. Mamamarcks
2/13/2008 12:26 PM
Good question. Somebody's lying. I have yet to learn why McNamee would lie. He seems to have no reason to lie. Yes, he's slimy and a poor excuse for a human, but nobody has come up with a reason for him to lie.
And Andy Pettite has no reason to lie. He's friends with Roger!
Based on that, Clemens is hosed. My only pause is that he does not act like any of the other people who get accused of using steroids/HGH. He's very convincing in what he says and how he has acted since the Mitchell Report came out. He has tons of credibility in how he's reacted and the way he's gone about it. But his story isn't adding up. I just have no reason to believe Pettite is lying. They're friends. If Pettite had any doubt about Clemens' involvement, he would have testified that he didn't know for sure. Instead, he was asked a bunch of times whether he was sure Clemens was involved, and he answered that he was positive.
Given all that (and a bunch of other stuff), my brain tells me Clemens is lying, but my heart doesn't want him to be telling the truth.
In the end, I believe he took something, but I don't think COngress or a Court will ever give us a definitive answer. In otherwords, until either McNamee or Clemens buckles, we'll probably never know for sure. That's my guess.
2/13/2008 4:15 PM
We are leaving for VEGAS in t-minus 12 hours and 20 minutes...Let the countdown begin!!!!
I am SO Excited!!!
2/14/2008 6:30 AM
Happy Anniversary to Mike and Sue!! Still going strong after all these years!! Love to you both from me and Bec.
Happy St. Valentine's Day to everyone out there too!
HI SAMMY!! Be seeing you in Vegas Friday night!
Dad-Kevin
2/14/2008 6:58 AM
Hey, when they all go to Vegas, I guess the rest of us get to run this blog, eh?
I love Mike and Sue. Happy Anniversary!
2/14/2008 9:19 AM
I'm sure my mom will figure out someway to post while we're in Vegas!
2/14/2008 9:25 AM
I have been in Pittsfield working the past week - I had a lot of catching up to do. First of all - there was an awful lot of political discussion - how is it that 2 of my sons are so educated in the Political Science area? I need to re-read the commentary to be sure I understand everything. I took one of those on line candidate matches - apparently my views are aligned closest with McCain.
Mike and I have been married 32 years today - and it was a beautiful 70 degrees.
Jeremy was 30 on Tuesday - easy to remember his age. He is always the same as the # of years Kevin/Becky will have been married on 2/25! Sarah will be 30 in December!
I have 2-30 year old sons - am I getting older?
Missouri/Colorada Holbrooks - have a TON of FUN in Vegas - you deserve this time away.
The ice storm in Springfield was so bad - FedEx shut down - this happens very rarely.
Mike and I are going to dinner tonight and Brianna is going to stay with Grandma T.
Be sweet to your sweetie today!
Oh - BTW - sweet baby Rush is now crawling - forward! I noticed his parents neglected to share this important milestone. Huckabee, Romney, McCain, Obama, and Clinton must be more important than Rush crawling - Chris?????
Jeremy's alum Drake University MEN - now ranked 14 in the country!
The CL's are in my house as I write this - what will I find tonight.
Jill - the taco dip was very good -we almost brought it out to you guys - but then we became selfish and brought it to Lynns - great appetizer. All the food was good as always at Auntie Lynns.
2/14/2008 10:07 AM
Happy Anniversary Mike and Sue! Hope your night is romantic! Only 5 hours and 20 minutes til we leave for Vegas! Woohoo!
2/14/2008 1:23 PM
Sue, it is not the CL's, it is Holly Dolly you need to look out for. She has some SERIOUS problems. (Me and Lynn laughed our butts off today while drinking coffee and watching tv at your house, I mean cleaning. )
Germs...Happy Happy Birthday to you!!
Mike and Sue Happy happy Anniversary to you!!!!!
The Springfielders...Have lots and lots of fun in Vegas. Notice lack of exclamation marks mean I am a bit jealous. Say hello to Tom Selleck for me. Just say "Jill'....he'll know who you mean.
Sammy.....Hi! Hi!
Jill
2/14/2008 3:53 PM
PS.... Grandma D..... I LOVE angel food cake!!!!!!!!! Yum, Yum!!
Jill
2/14/2008 3:56 PM
Ok, people, Holbrook's are gone so let's take over this blog! Jeremey, did you watch any news, like CNN? Boy the people were really giving the H to those congressmen holding those meetings regarding Clemens. Here all the stuff going on in these United States and they waste our money on some crap like this. The guy should be out of baseball and NO hall of fame for him I saw where Bonds couldn't get a job yet.
Jill, I just started making my own Angel Food cake after Terry did. My husband loves this cake so I always got one at Hy Vee. But after making my own there is no way I'll buy another. And you know Trisha? Terry's daughter. Well she made one the old fashion way by beating the egg whites with a wisk. Can you believe! She called her mom during the process and ask I long it took as she felt she'd been beating for hours. lol But guess the cake turned out good.
Susie you was commenting on having two sons at 30! Wait until the kids start hitting that 40 and 50 mark like I have. Shhhh Becky next November. David 40 in June. And the thing of it is their mother keeps getting younger! lol
Have a good week end out there. See you on the blog soon. Sam won't care?
Mamammarcks
2/15/2008 11:08 AM
Hi Mrs. Marcks,
I did catch some of the coverage of the Congressional hearings. A lot of those Congressmen and women were pretty outrageous to both Clemens and the little twerp. All the grandstanding was a bit ridiculous on both sides. Speaking of sides, why on Earth did they separate down party lines? All the Republican representatives were pandering to Clemens and all the Democrats were helping McNamee. That's so stupid. Only in America does cheating in baseball fall down party lines. NUTS!
I'm not sure how I feel about the Hall of Fame issue. On the one hand, I think banning players from the Hall because they used steroids sends a strong message to any player thinking about cheating. On the other hand, there are so many immoral cheaters in the Hall already.
I guess if you look at the Hall as a History Museum of Baseball, you put the cheaters in the Hall and you display the fact that they cheated. But if you view it as a place of honor for our best players, then they really shouldn't be allowed in.
I tend to think of it as a place of honor. If it was just a history museum, Pete Rose would be in.
I hope nobody from the steroid era makes it into the Hall. Maybe devote a wall to the steroid era. Display all the people who cheated. But honor those investigators who brought it all out and cleaned up the sport.
Thanks for the B-day wishes, Jilly! How is Holly Dolly doing, by the way? That girl needs a robe or somethin'.
2/15/2008 12:02 PM
Grandma D...save some cake for me!!!
Jerm... Holly Dolly have some real problems. Apparently she was in rehab, but when the CL's were there she had broken out and was hiding in the "closet" in disguise complete with a bunch of cash, a shot glass of booze and a cigar!!!! Oh, and some chocolate covered peanuts and pretzels. We couldn't believe our eyes. She is one sick dolly.
Hey, how is Las Vegas? Are you pelpe still out there?
JIll
2/15/2008 4:39 PM
We're here! We're Queer! Get used to it! That popped into my head as Dad, Mom, Josh and I witnessed two gay guys make out in front of the fountain at the Bellagio. Glad we didn't have to pay for that show!
We walked about 4 gabillion miles today...Tom and Sam will be in tonight and then we will hit the casinos once again. Right now we are all recovering from last night and today.
When we got off the plane last night we got our rental van or "party barge" if you prefer, and went to find our rental house. Let's just say I think we were headed into CA until we decided to call he rental guy...that's another story...we are tired. The end!
2/15/2008 6:23 PM
Sam was right, I would find a way to get online!! Josh brought his lap top and the house has wi fi, neato, I must get me one of these! Having a great time, the house rental is awesome, all of you should check into rental houses next vacation, so much more room for about the same price of motel, our master suite is awesome, it is like a appt. takes up half the house, all the kids are jealous! Picking up Sam and Tom tonight at airport, then going to see Vegas at night, I loved it today,walking in the sunshine all day, yes, we all needed some Vit D.
Happy BeLated anniversary Sue and Mike! And I should of rememberd that Jeremey was 30, so remember your mom and dad bringing you to our wedding reception and you were just days old.
Hope your weather is bad so you can be jealous of the 70* here in Vegas tomorrow! Headed to Hoover Damn tomorrow so we can take the Damn Tour and buy some Damn sovuiniers and a Damn T shirt. Oh, and I want to play Keno at the casino tonight, no big winners yet, be we try again, and again.
Keep the blog going, TTYL.
VIVA LAS VEGAS!!
2/15/2008 6:39 PM
That last post was me, Beckaroni! also me now, Congrats To Rush for crawling foward!!
I LOVE VEGAS!!
2/15/2008 6:42 PM
Sounds like you are all having a blast! Yes we are jealous!!!!! It is cold and overcast here, but Vegas still can't be better than Quincy!!!!! Ha Ha Ha
Have lots of fun, win lots of cash, watch more gay men making out and make sure Sam doesn't get married again.
Jill
2/16/2008 2:48 PM
Biggest winner so far is Kevin,he won$100 after puting in $20, so guess he is up $60 Sam, Rach and Tom all up about $50. Having a good time, so much to see, resting right now so we can go back again at night, stayed out till 3am! last night!! we are some wild and crazy guys!!
Tom has to fly back tomorrow, so going to go to Hoover Damn afer we drop him off at airport, he didn't want to see Hoover Damn.
Sorry to hear it is cold where you are at, (not really) hahahahahah, sun shinning here again today!!
2/16/2008 7:16 PM
Above post:
Early winner, 2008 Best Becky Misspelling Award.
2/18/2008 8:29 AM
Thanks Jeremy! I actually have a t-shirt that says I won the Spelling Bee in 1975!! or something like that. We are packing up getting ready to go spend several hours at the airport! UGH! Sam flys out 1 hour before us., kinda sad to leave, but we will be back!! VIVA LAS VEGAS!!
2/18/2008 10:48 AM
Not only spelling, but explain to me how you can put in $20, win $100, and be up to $60? Where'd the mysterious $20 go? My guess is Kevin spent it on seeing the Rockettes! Just kidding Kevin and Becky. Glad you guys had a good time in Vegas!
2/18/2008 7:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing Kesi!
Many many Beckyisms on this trip..."Never smoke a wooden cigar"...please explain that one Mom! Many other stories, but you know what they say, What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!!!!1
2/18/2008 7:45 PM
Hey you guys, leave my Becky alone. She can't help it if she takes after her mama. Hey, Tom, what kind of team are the Cards going to have this year? Josh Kenny is already in trouble for not showing up for the summer warm up they have in St. Louis.
Mamamarcks
2/18/2008 10:41 PM
Tom and Mrs. Marcks,
I don't know about you guys but I'm upset that the Cardinals have done next to nothing in the offseason. Baseball Prospectus has picked the Cardinals to finish second to last place (one game above the Pirates).
They've just left so much up in the air. We'll be good if: (1) Carpenter is healthy; (2) Mulder is healthy and remembers how to pitch; (3) Clement is healthy and remembers how to pitch in the NL; (4) Kennedy remembers how to play second base and hit; (5) Ankiel plays 140 healthy games and hits both lefties and righties and keeps up his surprising hitting from last year; (6) Troy Glaus needs to stay healthy and play more games than Scott Rolen did; (7) Colby Rasmuss needs to be ready to play center field and he's never seen Major League hitting.
Did I miss anything? Oh yes. If one of those starting pitchers is unhealthy, we need one more big name pitcher just to compete in the central division. Also, we lost So Taguchi, and there's no way in H-E-DoubleHockeySticks that Chris Duncan can play every day in left field. That kid can't field and I hit left handed pitching better than him. Without So, who do they bring in to play left field for Duncan when a lefty is on the mound?
Grrr. This season makes me nervous and a little angry. The Cubs and Brewers went out and got better in the past two offseasons and we haven't done much at all.
2/19/2008 9:38 AM
I agree Jeremy. I always considered myself a die hard Cards fan but they don't want to spend any money for players. Yet you go to a game down there and you'd better have big bucks on you. Your right, there are so many ifs on this team. As for Duncan I never did think he could play left field, center, or first base. He is so darn clumsy out there and I hold my breath when he is in left field and a ball comes his way. Then there is Puhol's who now has a elbow injury but refused to get it taken care in the off season as he didn't want to be late for Spring training, etc. Well, come on, Puhols, wake up and smell the roses. He could play a week, do more serious injury and be out the rest of the year. I will have to give him credit, he's turned out to be a good first baseman. I'll be able to tell in the first couple of games what kind of team we are going to have. LuRosso isn't well liked in StL but I always thought he was a no nonsense manager. We'll see what he can do with this team.
Mamamarcks
2/19/2008 11:07 AM
I also give Pitching Coach Duncan credit. Every year their pitching outperforms their expectations. We had no business winning as many games as we did last year with Adam Wainwright (who I like a lot) as our ace. He would be a good number 3 and a great number 4 guy in the rotation. But he's just not an ace yet.
We need to trade Duncan to an American League team looking for a left handed DH. Maybe we can get an outfielder or a pitcher. But I'm sure it's hard to trade the son of your pitching coach.
Oh. And this is the last year I'd give Anthony Reyes. 2-14 last year with a 6.04 ERA. He was supposed to be our number one pitching prospect. We better either get him back on track or trade the fella before other teams figure out he's a bust.
I forgot that our new shortstop is Cesar Izturis. When he played for the Cubs up here in Chicago I was able to watch him bat .240, 0 HR and 0 SB.
He's a heck of a threat. If they wanted a guy with less offensive threat than Eckstein, they found one. At least Eckstein was always able to get on base and stole a few bases. Now we have no contribution at short, except that he has a little more range defensively.
With no shortstops available on the market, it's pretty unforgiveable that we didn't resign Eck for at least another year or two.
2/19/2008 11:33 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home