...or the Daring Adventures of Daring-Do from the Most Eccentrical Wunderkind der Springfield via Quincy

Friday, July 11, 2008

Summertime!

Sorry it's been a while! I've been a little bit busy. After finals in early May, I was in California doing Cadet Summer Research. This is a program the Academy has where cadets go to a base (I was at Edwards...about 2 hours east of LA and three hours west of Las Vegas!) and participate is some sort of research having to do with his or her major...so I did chemistry! Woohoo! I worked on a new polymer that is hydrophobic and cheap. This stuff could be put on airplane wings to reduce or eliminate icing problems. Anyway, day to day there was pretty boring. I did a lot of analysis stuff and standing around waiting for experiments to run and machines to do whatever. So needless to say I'm glad that I'll be doing something a bit more exciting as a pilot! Edwards was super hot all the time. The first week I was there it rained a couple days, and apparently the desert is made of dead, dried-up dogs, because when it rained the whole place stank like wet dog. Whatever California...I'm done with you! I did get to take a trip to Las Vegas, so that was cool. I came out $30 ahead from playing the Monopoly slots. This things are pretty much cash machines...I love Mr. Moneybags! I sat in the Hard Rock Hotel playing the same Monopoly slot machine (drinking Newcastle Brown Ale) for a good 8 hours. I just couldn't stop! Hahaha!

Oh, I got to come back to the Academy to go to my Ring Dance. This is where my class gets our Class Rings, and its kind of a big deal. Anyway, my girlfriend Amanda (who most of you met over the summer) flew out. Well, I was flying out of California (Ontario to be exact) to Phoenix, and then to Colorado Springs. Amanda was flying from Springfield to Dallas to the Springs. When I got to Ontario, everything was going fine but we got delayed because of weather in Phoenix. Well, the weather and others delays made me late for my next flight to COS, so I missed that flight and I had to get a flight into Denver late that night. All this time Amanda is traveling to the Springs by herself, and not knowing anyone! Oh nose! My flight into Denver got in around 1:00 AM. My friend Mike picked up Amanda from the airport in the Springs, and then another friend, Shane, picked me up from Denver (with Amanda!). All in all, I didn't get to sleep until around 3:00 AM after driving back to the Academy, getting my car, and getting Amanda checked into the hotel. UGH! At least the rest of the weekend will go easy right? Wrong. The next day, Friday, was the night of Ring Dance. I was getting ready and realized something...I didn't have a cumberbun, bowtie, or clasp thingy for my uniform! I thought they came with the uniform when we got them, but it turns out not. I was kind of freaking out because I didn't know what to do and I couldn't show up with an incomplete uniform to something that tons of officers and generals were going to be at. I had to rush Amanda a little to get ready, but she still looked amazing! (Ask Mom from some pictures!) So I drive on base and to the uniform store at the community center. So I get there, and they don't have any bowties or clasps! They did have a cumberbun though. So about now I'm pretty much pooing my brain out cause I'm freaking out so bad...but then I see a dummy with a full mess dress uniform on it. I asked the lady working there and she said it was okay for me to take the stuff I needed as long as I returned it. Awesome! Then there was a senior there trying to get some rank or something, but he was cool and helped my get my tie on. So now I finally have a complete uniform and I run back to the car and Amanda and I go to the Dance. It was a lot of fun. Seeing all my friends was great and having them meet Amanda was even better. And my ring looks really sweet.

The rest of the weekend went great...almost. Saturday Amanda and I went white water rafting with some of my friends from my freshman year squad in the Royal Gorge and that was amazing. Then we went up to Breckenridge, this fancy ski town, and stayed the night in a big house we'd all rented. That was really fun too. The next day I was driving Amanda and my friend Brian back to the Springs, and I might have been going a little fast, but not that fast. Anyway, I hear this honking behind me and then a cop car pulled up next to me, pointing for me to pull over...so I did. I pull to the side of the road and the cop pulls up next to me. I rolled down my window and he started yelling at me and telling me to stop going "Mach 3". Then drove off. I thought I was smoked and was getting a ticker for sure, but I guess not. Oh well. So the weekend can't get much worse could it? Wrong again.

Amanda and I were both flying out of the Springs that Monday. So we get there and we get Amanda all checked in. Then I got to my airline to get checked in and I don't have a ticket! What the heck! Apparently since my first flight from Ontario to Pheonix made me late to my Phoenix/COS flight, I was marked as a no-show and the rest of my itinerary was cancelled! How crappy is that! And it wasn't even my fault! So I finally was able to get on a flight from COS to Denver and then to Ontario. I hate airlines!

Anyway, Ring Dance was awesome and I had a great time. I was really glad that Amanda could come out and meet everyone too. But I had to go back to being bored and hot in the desert. Oh well. I got to leave California on June 20th and my trials with the airlines was not ending yet. My flight back to the COS (it was direct) was about half way through a two hour flight when we turned around because of a mechanical problem. I guess some hydralics or something in the nose gear was acting weird and Colorado Springs couldn't fix it or replace the plane, but Ontario could. So after another hour of flying, we get back to Cali, switch planes, and then fly back the way we came! The flight was nice until we got to Colorado. It was really bumpy, and we had the biggest drop I've ever seen in an airliner I've been on. The plane dropped so much I could see things starting to float in the air! I really hate the airlines! I got back to the Academy around 4:00 that day. I picked up my car, loaded up my mountain bike, and headed home to start my summer!

I had a great break at home. It was awesome just getting to relax for a while and go to Quincy to see everyone. But then Sarah's whole ordeal started! Man, I just can't catch a break with this stuff can I! Hahaha! I had so much fun being back and seeing everyone. I had a great break and I'm sad its over. Oh well.

Today I drove back to Colorado. My mom got a new bike rack, so she gave me her old one so I wouldn't have to pack my bike back inside my car. Well...this wasn't a great idea. I had the bike strapped in pretty tight, but somewhere in Kansas one of the straps loosened and pulled off. In my rear view mirror I saw the bike swing, and so I started to slow down and pull to the shoulder. But Then I saw the rest of the bike let loose and go flying! So in case you missed it, my bike fell off the back of my car on I-70 while I was going about 75 miles per hour. Needless to say, a string of explatives came out as I saw my bike bounce along hard concrete and toward speeding traffic. Luckily the bike bounced to the shoulder and no one got hurt. But my handlebars are messed up and I'm pretty sure the deraiuller (which let you shift gears) on my back end are messed up big time. Thanks for the bike rack Mom! Hahaha! Just kidding. So I pulled to the shoulder, walked back to my bike, took the wheels off and put it into the back of my car...so I guess the rack really didn't save me much room in the long run did it...

So that's my summer so far. Woohoo! I start working CATM again for Basic Training on Monday. Its the same thing I did last summer and it was pretty easy, so I'm kind of looking forward to it. But I'd much rather be back at home, hanging out, eating sushi, and doing nothing. Oh well.

Hopefully this long post makes up for the couple months of inactivity. But in my own defense, I didn't have internet access at Edwards (and only really sketchy cell-phone reception), and I hate sitting at the computer when I'm at home since I'm one one all the time while I'm at school. You all should have gone over to my mom's blog! Hahaha!

58 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Oh, and I forgot to add that last night we ate sushi at our traditional spot of Umi's, and Aaron Bergee (or something like that) was sitting next to us. He was the first bachelor from "The Bachelor". Woohoo! World Famous!

7/11/2008 10:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Focus on the good summer you had, Sam and put the rest in the column marked, "been there, done that". Some day you'll look back and laugh at it all. It was so good to see you at the Reunion. Sorry you didn't win the egg toss. You would of looked cute with all those eggs hanging around your neck! Thanks for bringing Amanda. She'll make a great teacher and hopefully someday a granddaughter. Love you, take care, Granny D

7/12/2008 8:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you already Sam! But we'll be seeing you in 6 weeks and I can't wait!

Heads up to everyone...my July Kiplingers magazine had an article on a class action lawsuit settlement against the TransUnion credit bureau. The settlement is that Transunion must provide free (and no obligation) access to their credit monitoring services. Anyone who had a credit card, credit account, or loan of most any kind in the USA between Jan 1, 1987 to May 28, 2008 can register for 6-9 months of free credit monitoring and/or a potential cash settlement. I registered myself and Becky today for the 6 mo service with a potential cash payment. Other options are listed on their class action settlement website www.ListClassAction.com

Looks like that Kiplingers subscription is paying off!!

Kevin

P.S. Sarah was sprung from the hospital today!!!!!! Free at last, Free at last, Thank God Almighty she's free at last!!!!

7/12/2008 2:58 PM

 
Blogger Josh and Rachel said...

Soooo glaaaadddd toooo beeee hooommmeeeee!

7/13/2008 3:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ME TOO!

UGH! Sam, I would trade all of your summer bummers for one week long stay at Blessing Hospital!

It was not fun, although, I did made the best of it and kept my sense of humor during the less painful parts...for instance...Jill and Lynn were visiting and an old lady came into with a gurney and said, "Ready for surgery?" Jill and Lynn looked at each other and me (I almost peed my pants) and I said, "What surgery!?" and then a nurse, with a panic stricken look on her face runs into the room and says, "Wrong room!" Lynn and Jill and I laughed about what I could have gotten had I climbed on that gurney! LOL!

THEN.....

I had surgery on Friday afternoon and when I woke up, my mouth wouldn't close...My jaw was locked! Apparantly, just before they put me under, I yawned and my jaw just stayed that way, so they went with it and it wasn't till I woke up and couldn't move my mouth that they realized what had happened...So here I am, half awake, drooling down my gown, trying to tell them how to fix it, then they knocked me out again, I woke up and I was fine...my jaw is sore just a little.

Thanks again to everyone who visited and sat with me...especially on Tuesday which was the very worst day...Love you all!

7/13/2008 5:56 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Hi Sam, nice long blog, although nothing new to me. And I am so thankful that when your bike went flying off it did not cause a accident! And I don't think it was the bike racks fault, it works perfect around town, I have never tested it going at mock 4!

Yes, Sarah is back home now, thank goodness! Sophie was soooooooo excited to see her, Tom was at work, so won't see her till he gets up tomorrow about noon. Thanks again for all the Quincy People for being there for Sarah, we all truly appreciate it!

I getting really close to getting a lap top! So excited, Josh hooked up a router thingy while I was gone so we have WI FYI!! Cool, I will be writing on this blog from my bedroom next!

Hi Sam!

7/13/2008 6:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's WIFI. But whatever.

7/14/2008 7:03 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

well, whatever, I am cordless now!! YIPPIE!!

Hi Sam!

7/14/2008 8:38 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

So did you finally get a laptop Mom?

7/14/2008 8:40 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

YES!! I have a sweet Dell, 2 giga bites, what ever that means? Josh went with me and dad to Best Buy tonight to help us pick one out, gosh, they try to sell you so much,it was like trying to break out of fort knox just to buy a lap top!! But I do like it, I am sitting in bed as typing this, SWEET!

7/14/2008 9:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Bec, on the laptop. I've always wanted one but you know and I know that will never happen. I thought it would be keen to take on trips, etc. You can buy some kind of thingamigig to clip in the side for Internet away from home. At least that is what I understood. Guess I'll keep trying for that power ball. lol

7/14/2008 9:26 PM

 
Blogger Josh and Rachel said...

A couple questions for Chris and Kesi about helping you move in Columbia...when will you guys actually be in Columbia (Saturday or Sunday)? We are helping you move on Sunday right? Josh wanted to know...we might come up on Saturday and tool around town for the day...Thanks! Rach

7/15/2008 4:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma D, Send us the family reunion pics! I want to see what I missed! Love ya!

7/15/2008 4:34 PM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

Rach-
We plan on leaving Vermillion and driving to Columbia on Sunday, August 3rd. I think we would arrive in Columbia 5:00 pm, but there are a lot of variables that haven't been decided yet. That is the plan for now anyway. I'll update you if something changes.

7/15/2008 5:30 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Sorry Kesi and Chris, won't be able to help you move in as planned, if your plans change let us know.

Hi Sam!

7/15/2008 5:57 PM

 
Blogger Josh and Rachel said...

Yeah, darn it...it is a 3 hour drive back to Springfield and Josh has to work the next day. We probably won't make it either... :-(

7/15/2008 7:25 PM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

No biggie.

7/16/2008 8:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got back from seeing midnight showing of The Dark Knight. WOW. Absolutely amazing film. It would be very difficult to live up to all the hype and with Heath Ledger gone now it would have just been sad if this movie didn't produce and it absolutely does. He is the best Joker EVER. Go see it.

7/18/2008 2:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do want to see "Dark Knight" as I like all "Batman" films. Odd for an old lady isn't it. But that is me. As far as the "joker" is concern Ledger will have to be truly amazing to win out over Jack Nickleson who also played this part. Now to me he was the one I'd see in the comic books. Nothing against Ledger as I've seen him in a few things and thought he was very good. I wonder if he was still alive if there would be such hype about this film. Bale plays a very good "Batman". Don't forget him. This is just one old lady's opinion.

7/18/2008 8:50 AM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Hi Sam, whats you up to today? Any word on your bike yet? Did you get to meet any of the big Brass?

7/19/2008 2:21 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

yep, that's me, didn't want to get my hair wet when we went on the Lake, also only picture on my lap top.

Hi Sam!

7/19/2008 2:26 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Hey Chris, Sam, where do I go to download the spell check? Thanks

7/19/2008 2:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

google it Becky. Mom

7/19/2008 9:39 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

I am trying spell check, how do you spell receipt?

Hi Sam! WHATZ UP W? YOU?

7/20/2008 8:14 PM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

Becky I'm proud of you, you spelled receipt correctly.

7/23/2008 9:39 AM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Thank s to spellcheck!!

Hi Sam!

7/23/2008 5:26 PM

 
Blogger Sam said...

Hey Mom! Not much going on here...just eating some delicious Taco Bell and watching the news. I went to look at new bikes today, but the shop didn't have a great selection so I might have to order one online and have it delivered to the shop. Later!

7/23/2008 5:30 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Hey Sam, I am sure COS has more then one bike shop! Might shop around before you order one on line. GO pick up your old bike, sure the bike shop does not want it sitting around taking up space there, be sure to get your new pedals off of it!

Hey, how do you highlight on a lap top? and where is the delete button?

7/24/2008 7:26 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

Did Becky just ask were the delete button was?

7/24/2008 11:43 AM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Is that a wrong thing "delete button", we have one on the downstairs computer? where is it on a lap top??

Hi Sam!

7/24/2008 3:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't they tell you??? You can't delete anything on a laptop. Once you type it...it never goes away....

7/24/2008 5:37 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Happy Bithday to my daughter Rachel, who is 28 today!! See you Sunday night to celebrate!

Happy birthday to Tyler, my newphew who is "16" today, stay off the roads in Quincy people!

And Happy Birthday to our Granny, Therese, who is? well, better not tell her age to public. shhhhhhhhhh, she does not know we are in town to surprise her!!

Hi Sam, miss you!

7/26/2008 2:53 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Guess the surprise we got after we got home today?? Yep, Sam came home for a week visit!! Amanda went to go pick him up in Kansas airport today! YEAH!!

Sam, you rascal!

Had a fun time seeing everyone this weekend, Sue and Mike, thanks for letting us spend the night on Friday night. Mom, lunch was fun, lets remember the Pier for next time. Saturday night was fun too surprising Granny!

7/27/2008 4:46 PM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

There was one more surprise for the weekend for those of you that didn't hear. Rush is going to be a big brother!

7/28/2008 6:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! Congratulations, Kesi & Chris and to little Mr. Rush. When is the big event?

7/28/2008 9:57 AM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

We're due in March so it's still early yet.

7/28/2008 10:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great Chris and Kesi! Congrats!!!!

7/28/2008 3:34 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Oh yes, congratulations Chris and Kesi, didn't want to spill the beans in case you had not told everyone! How exciting!! New house, new school, new city, now a new baby too! A lot of changes coming your way, good luck with everything!

Hi Sam, oops, forgot, he is here!! Kevin and him watching a old Batman show right now, going to go see the new one Wednesday night.

7/28/2008 7:05 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Happy Birthday to my Mom! Mamamarcks! Have a good day Mom, and remember, you are as young as you feel!

7/29/2008 7:09 AM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

Thanks for the Congrats everyone. We're very excited! Rush's pregnancy seemed to take forever but this one is already flying by...I'm sure a lot of it has to do with moving and Rush keeps us pretty busy.

7/29/2008 5:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Chris and Kesi and Rush will be Missourians in a few days...there's a support group if you want to join...once you are here a while you get used to it. At least the farther north you go in MO the people have most of their own teeth. :)

7/30/2008 8:11 PM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

Unless the Northern MO people do meth there whole lives...then they probably don't have very many teeth. I remember making fun of Missourians while I was growing up. I can't believe I'm becoming one for a minimum of five years. We are very excited about moving closer to family though. I guess I can handle being a Missourian if it means being close to family.

7/31/2008 6:51 AM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Hello this is Sarah!

Hi Sam!

8/02/2008 8:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the new Missourians getting settle in ok?

Welcome to God's country!!!

Kevin

8/05/2008 11:52 AM

 
Blogger Mom said...

I think Colorado is God's Country, can't wait to see it again soon! Sam is getting settled in his new digs at school, supposed to start next Thursday.

Going to be in Quincy again this weekend, Wedding for my niece Melissa, Peggy's daugher, FUN TIMES, love family weddings!



Hi Sam!

8/05/2008 5:46 PM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

We're here and ready to purchase a home. Our duplex is okay, but with three of us and another on the way we will quickly outgrow this 4 bed/2 bath place. By the way, could we have a chose 2 hotter days to move? I felt so bad for all the guys that were sweating through their clothes while I sat there directing traffic.

8/05/2008 7:45 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Welcome to Missouri Kesi, Chris and Rush!! Sounds like you have a pretty big apartment Kesi! I didn't
know apartments ever could have 4 bedrooms! I thought of you all last weekend when me and the girls were at the pool, pregnancy comes in handy too, Sue remember if you were pregnant on Holidays you got out of dishes!!

Update on Sarah: She is having that darn annoying gall bladder stone removed by surgery next Wednesday, say a prayer that laparscopic is all that is needed.

Hi Sam!!

8/07/2008 5:03 PM

 
Blogger Kesi said...

Happy Anniversary Josh & Rachel!!!!

8/10/2008 3:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Rach and Josh...I missed Missy's wedding darn it...I will be happy to have this darn gallbladder out on Wednesday...

Hello Shamus...

8/10/2008 8:38 PM

 
Blogger Josh and Rachel said...

Thanks for the anniversary wishes! 6 years has gone by fast! Josh and I were in Quincy and traveling for our day so we are planning on going out to dinner on Thursday and visiting Roaring River State Park on saturday.

Sarah was just taken back into surgery about 10 minutes ago, so prayers for her that everything goes fine. She is really hungry.

8/13/2008 1:16 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

UPDATE: Sarah is home with mom and dad tonight, Tom had to work. The surgery went well, she was able to have the laporscopic,so she is happy about that. Not feeling the best right now, has gotten sick twice now from the medicine, UGH! poor girl, just can't take that stuff. Thanks for all your prayers!

Hi Sam, been busy this week so that is why you have not heard from me, hope school is doing well. Time for new post , don't ya think? Love MOM

8/13/2008 7:32 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Sam,heard from dad that you have ordered a new bike , tell me about it, how much of it will you have to put together, any parts salvagable from your old bike? Everyone have a great TGIF!

Sarah is still w/us tonight, doing better though, has not gotten sick today!!

8/14/2008 8:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello everyone...I am feeling a little better everyday, but still pretty darn sore. I can finally take the drugs without getting sick, so that is good. Everyone is taking good care of me, especially Mom and Rach. Tom is off this Sat and Sun so he gets to take over soon!

8/15/2008 12:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, all Birds are home now. You all can call me Gaylord Focker, male nurse. I have taken over now. Next step is to find a cat to milk.

8/16/2008 2:09 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

Sam, are you getting my e-mails? I am not getting replies from you.

Did the bank thing again! UGH! I just transferred to your account to cover my mistake! sorry!

Sarah is doing much better today, back at home, Tom is off work today and tomorrow.

Love MOM

8/16/2008 2:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has this blog died????

Hello? Knock. Knock.

8/19/2008 5:02 PM

 
Blogger Mom said...

I am here Sarah, I keep looking, but no new comments! how are the new Missourians doing?

Hi Sam, see ya soon!

8/19/2008 5:49 PM

 
Blogger Josh and Rachel said...

Chris...Josh's birthday is next week and I can't wait to give him his new pipe! I bought it though Boswell's and they were very helpful and the package smelled so good when it arrived..thanks for all your help!

8/19/2008 7:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home